worst ride ever

Old December 5th 04, 12:02 AM
MartinM

Default worst ride ever

On the way over to Tunbridge Wells (the scenic ie hilly way) yesterday my
right hand crank came loose; two things struck me;
1. Why did it choose the one day I forgot my multi-tool?
2. Why is it always the RH crank? (well it was the only other time it
happened), if it was the left I could have just given up and walked home.

No worry I thought and, fearing stripping the spline by riding on it,
plodded on with one leg, easier said than done, it's not so much the effort
of one leg doing all the work but of having to pull the crank up on the
reverse.
I doff my hat to the fellow who rides a lot of the local AUK rides the same
way.

Old December 5th 04, 12:04 AM
MartinM

"MartinM" wrote in message
On the way over to Tunbridge Wells (the scenic ie hilly way) yesterday my
right hand crank came loose; two things struck me;
1. Why did it choose the one day I forgot my multi-tool?
2. Why is it always the RH* crank? (well it was the only other time it
happened), if it was the left I could have just given up and walked home.

No worry I thought and, fearing stripping the spline by riding on it,
plodded on with one leg, easier said than done, it's not so much the

effort
of one leg doing all the work but of having to pull the crank up on the
reverse.
I doff my hat to the fellow who rides a lot of the local AUK rides the

same
way.

*or even the Left ;-)

Old December 5th 04, 01:32 AM
half_pint

"MartinM" wrote in message

"MartinM" wrote in message
On the way over to Tunbridge Wells (the scenic ie hilly way) yesterday

my
right hand crank came loose; two things struck me;
1. Why did it choose the one day I forgot my multi-tool?
2. Why is it always the RH* crank? (well it was the only other time it
happened), if it was the left I could have just given up and walked

home.

No worry I thought and, fearing stripping the spline by riding on it,
plodded on with one leg, easier said than done, it's not so much the

effort
of one leg doing all the work but of having to pull the crank up on the
reverse.
I doff my hat to the fellow who rides a lot of the local AUK rides the

same
way.

*or even the Left ;-)

The left hand crank is the one you 'mess' around with most as it does
not have the big coggs on it etc..
So I guess you are more like to leave it not fully tightened.

Cue the stream of abuse :O)

Old December 5th 04, 08:22 AM
David Barnes

"MartinM" wrote in message
On the way over to Tunbridge Wells (the scenic ie hilly way) yesterday my
right hand crank came loose; two things struck me;
1. Why did it choose the one day I forgot my multi-tool?
2. Why is it always the RH crank? (well it was the only other time it
happened), if it was the left I could have just given up and walked home.

No worry I thought and, fearing stripping the spline by riding on it,
plodded on with one leg, easier said than done, it's not so much the
effort
of one leg doing all the work but of having to pull the crank up on the
reverse.
I doff my hat to the fellow who rides a lot of the local AUK rides the
same
way.

That doesn't even come close!!! Yesterday I was bitten by a dog and had a
puncture. Now that's got to be the worst ride ever. Spent the afternoon in
casualty to get my tetanus up to date :-((

Problem now is that my arm, where I had the jab, hurts more than my leg,
where I got bit!!

Cheers,
Dave

Old December 5th 04, 10:02 AM
MartinM

"David Barnes" wrote in message
"MartinM" wrote in message
On the way over to Tunbridge Wells (the scenic ie hilly way) yesterday

my
left hand crank came loose; two things struck me;
1. Why did it choose the one day I forgot my multi-tool?
2. Why is it always the LH crank? (well it was the only other time it
happened), if it was the right I could have just given up and walked

home.

That doesn't even come close!!! Yesterday I was bitten by a dog and had a
puncture. Now that's got to be the worst ride ever. Spent the afternoon in
casualty to get my tetanus up to date :-((

Problem now is that my arm, where I had the jab, hurts more than my leg,
where I got bit!!

that wouldn't hurt as much as where I last had a tetanus jab if I tried to
ride on it ;-)

Old December 5th 04, 03:07 PM
David Barnes

"MartinM" wrote in message
On the way over to Tunbridge Wells (the scenic ie hilly way) yesterday

my
left hand crank came loose; two things struck me;
1. Why did it choose the one day I forgot my multi-tool?
2. Why is it always the LH crank? (well it was the only other time it
happened), if it was the right I could have just given up and walked

home.

That doesn't even come close!!! Yesterday I was bitten by a dog and had a
puncture. Now that's got to be the worst ride ever. Spent the afternoon
in
casualty to get my tetanus up to date :-((

Problem now is that my arm, where I had the jab, hurts more than my leg,
where I got bit!!

that wouldn't hurt as much as where I last had a tetanus jab if I tried to
ride on it ;-)

That is the one saving grace :-))

Old December 5th 04, 05:12 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , MartinM wrote:
"MartinM" wrote in message
2. Why is it always the RH* crank? (well it was the only other time it
happened)

*or even the Left ;-)

Precession and not having a left handed thread or a Jobstian cone, I think.
Old December 5th 04, 07:01 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:32:04 -0000, "half_pint"
wrote in message
:

The left hand crank is the one you 'mess' around with most as it does
not have the big coggs on it etc..
So I guess you are more like to leave it not fully tightened.

Why on earth would you ever want to remove the *left* crank on its
own? The right, yes, when changing rings and so on, and both at once
to change the BB is common enough, but the *left* on its own?

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
Old December 5th 04, 07:13 PM
MartinM

wrote in message
:

The left hand crank is the one you 'mess' around with most as it does
not have the big coggs on it etc..
So I guess you are more like to leave it not fully tightened.

Why on earth would you ever want to remove the *left* crank on its
own? The right, yes, when changing rings and so on, and both at once
to change the BB is common enough, but the *left* on its own?

tightened them both up when I fitted the triple chainset back in (thinks;
between Mad Jack Fuller and Dorset Coast) the spring sometime, done pretty
well. over 2kk. Have now got a long 8mm Allen key I can stand on. BTW has
Shimano star splined drive made a comeback?