preserving SIDI's

Old May 7th 05, 12:23 PM
Callistus Valerius

Default preserving SIDI's

Since SIDI shoes have gone up in price so much in the last couple years,
I'd like to keep the ones I have now, looking good. What is the best stuff
to rub on the leather, that will preserve them the best against the
elements? I have the SIDI Genius model.

Old May 7th 05, 01:38 PM
Arthur Harris

"Callistus Valerius" wrote:
Since SIDI shoes have gone up in price so much in the last couple
years,
I'd like to keep the ones I have now, looking good. What is the best
stuff
to rub on the leather, that will preserve them the best against the
elements? I have the SIDI Genius model.

It's not leather, it's Lorica. If you have the black version, you can put
shoe polish on them. But Lorica is not prone to cracking, shrinking, or
drying out like leather

Art Harris

Old May 7th 05, 01:48 PM
richard

How did you end up with leather ones? I have a new pair and a pair
that's about 5 yr old. They're both made of a synthetic called "lorica".

Now, I sweat a LOT. In the summer, they get stiff and show salt
deposits on the outers. A couple of times a year, I dunk them in a
bucket of water with a bit of laundry detergent. After 8-16 hours with
a ski boot drier (blows room temperature air only), they're deep black
and supple as ever.

Old May 7th 05, 04:20 PM
Mark Janeba

Callistus Valerius wrote:
Since SIDI shoes have gone up in price so much in the last couple years,
I'd like to keep the ones I have now, looking good. What is the best stuff
to rub on the leather, that will preserve them the best against the
elements? I have the SIDI Genius model.

As others have posted, the shoes are probably made of the synthetic
Lorica, not leather. My pair has been through 6 winters here in the wet
northwest (US) and look near new after a quick wipe down with a moist
rag. Another poster's "wash in a bucket" routine sounds good too;
getting soaked has had no bad effects on these shoes in my experience.

The fancy buckle is mounted on a plastic side panel; if the panel never
cracks, the shoes may outlast me! They are starting to look like one of
the best investments I ever made. (One of the few shoes I've ever fit
well, too - in Mega sizing).

Mark Janeba

Old May 7th 05, 04:43 PM
Robin Hubert

As others have responded, lorica is extremely durable stuff. Care
free, too. In most cases, everything can be repaired by a decent
cobbler. E.g., the "loops" of the hook/loop closure become
stretched/torn and are no longer effective. I extended the life of one
pair by doing this at the cost of about $6. I have another pair ready
for this treatment. The buckles can be broken but are also reasonably
priced.

Robin Hubert

Old May 7th 05, 08:19 PM
Callistus Valerius

"
As others have posted, the shoes are probably made of the synthetic
Lorica, not leather.

Lorica!, yes that's what it is. What's Lorica? Nevermind. But not
leather for sure.

(One of the few shoes I've ever fit
well, too - in Mega sizing).

I second that. The only ones that fit me too.......the megas.

So they're maintenance free........is that possible? I've seen some
shoes (unidentifiable brands) that were really quite curled up and faded at
swap meets.

Old May 7th 05, 11:23 PM
Lee

So they're maintenance free........is that possible? I've seen some
shoes (unidentifiable brands) that were really quite curled up and faded
at
swap meets.

My Duegi 101's are still in pretty good shape...but of course the 1/2"
wooden sole keeps them from curling.

Lee

Old May 8th 05, 01:49 AM
RonSonic

On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:19:11 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

"
As others have posted, the shoes are probably made of the synthetic
Lorica, not leather.

Lorica!, yes that's what it is. What's Lorica?

Sorta like a nauga, but smaller with a more supple but tougher hyde.

Ron
Old May 8th 05, 01:32 PM
richard

Not exactly. Mine get sweat-saturated. The toes stiffen and the
tongues curl. That's why I do the bucket wash.

Old May 9th 05, 03:02 AM
Callistus Valerius

Not exactly. Mine get sweat-saturated. The toes stiffen and the
tongues curl. That's why I do the bucket wash.

I went through a 14 hour road ride in the rain with mine. They were
covered in mud, even though I was on a road bike. Hit them with a hose when
I got home, and jammed old newspapers in them to let them dry out. And they
came out like new, I was very surprised.

SIDIs Keith Alexander Racing 0 November 9th 04 10:21 PM
SIDIs Keith Alexander Racing 0 November 9th 04 10:21 PM
SIDIS and Slickrock JMK Mountain Biking 5 October 18th 03 05:48 AM