Mark Cavendish the first

Old April 21st 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Default Mark Cavendish the first

In article ,
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:

On Apr 20, 8:39*am, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,
*Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
*Ted van de Weteringe wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
"I did not know where the finish line was."
That's worse than "I did not see Mark beside me."

The former sounds like an excuse (because he should have known, no
matter how screwed up the finish layout), the latter a matter of fact
(he really didn't see him coming, maybe he couldn't go faster but he
sure wouldn't have cheered otherwise).

I never heard Boonen make excuses, he's very straight (but does like 'm
young).

First, I never said he was making excuses. I said the
remark is weak. I do not know Tom Boonen, though I share
the general attitude of others that do not know him
personally as a great racer and a gentleman. Boonen put
all his effort sprinting for the finish. Whatever he did,
I trust he did well. He may not have seen Cavendish, but
it is no use saying so. Why? Some will take it as an
excuse. Cavendish will enjoy his victory the more for
Boonen saying so.

* *When I read Boonen's comment, I took him to be saying just that -
"Cavendish caught me by surprise - I thought I had it in the bag and he came
from nowhere" or some such.

I can read it as "I ****ed up."

Which is the short form of what I said (aka the more polite one for the general
public). I have the feeling that Boonen won't do that again.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Cavendish at Tirreno-Adriatico MJ Ray UK 1 March 18th 08 07:01 PM
Stage 5: where's Mark Cavendish? D.M. Procida UK 2 July 20th 07 11:44 AM
Cavendish again Dan Gregory UK 0 May 26th 07 05:50 PM
Cavendish again! Dan Gregory UK 0 May 22nd 07 05:41 PM
Mark Cavendish Dan Gregory UK 0 May 10th 07 07:20 PM