material to do clamps

Old July 16th 16, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default material to do clamps

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 08:26:56 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I also read that the Average U.S. family owes nearly $16,00 in credit
card debt.

I think you mean $16,000 per household or about $7,700 per individual.
It's much worse because only about 1/3 of the personal debt is in
credit card debt. It's quite a horror story:
http://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-card-debt

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 16th 16, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-07-15 07:03, sms wrote:

When I fabricate metal brackets for a bicycle they usually get enclosed
in heat shrink tubing, which eliminates the need for a lot of grinding
or sanding, but I do round the edges at the end.

Same here. Always. I also point such stuff out to other "bike modders".
Like a dirt biker who made himself larger racks. One of the bottom frame
mounts could have sliced off or at least deeply into his right foot if
he'd be rear-ended so he modified that part.

They could have sliced off his foot?? Really?? Has that _ever_
happened?

And remember, the discussion was originally about a tiny fender mounting
bracket. Those barely protrude at all. Can't we do a reasonable
assessment of hazard before raving?

As I wrote before, I doubt you will understand this.

I admit, there's much about you that I don't understand. And I don't
seem to be alone.

What do you do about the edges of your chainrings and rear cogs?

Ever heard of bash guards?

Yes, and I recognize the trick of responding to a question with a
question. But how about an answer?

What sort of guards do you have on your mountain bike's chainrings and
rear cogs? What sort of guards do you have on your road bike's
chainrings and rear cogs? Got photos?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 16th 16, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 03:01:50 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

Generally speaking, some "City People" wear
shoes, while nearly all "Country People" wear
sandals. Buddhist Monks wear sandals much of
the time out of doors but go barefoot during
the morning rounds to collect food (which
silly foreigners call begging).

You forgot about the Muay Thai fighters which
I happen to know do not wear anything on their
feet (contrary to boxers that wear special,
slick boots). I suppose this is because
kicking, kneeing, even the locking of a leg to
the side is allowed in Thai boxing...

No I didn't forget :-0

But, I guess that the arena might be considered as "in doors", and I
suspect that a stout pair of boots might be seen as giving an unfair
advantage to the kicker :-)

But generally speaking, going barefoot is not considered as abnormal,
particularly outside the cities.

As for the rainy season, the custom in the
country is to have a container of water and
a dipper just outside the door so that one can
wash one's feet, if they are dirty, before
entering the house.

Wow! I'll remember that.

I don't know about Scandinavia (is that a proper term?) but I believe
that many British and quite a lot of U.S. farm houses had "Mud Rooms"
a small room built as part of an entrance where one removed one's
outdoor footwear as usually the Housewife objected strenuously when
the "Man of the House" came tramping into her kitchen with all the cow
manure on his boots.

They also act as a sort of "air lock" to keep the outside cold air out
of the house.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 16th 16, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/15/2016 8:47 PM, sms wrote:

I hate kludges. It's possible to fabricate non-kludgy clamps when
absolutely necessary, but with the ability to order these sorts of
things online there's a lot less need to do so.

From Scharf's website, a photo of his "non-kludgy" headlight mounting.
http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/img_0281.jpg

I guess since it's "solid oak" it's not a kludge.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 16th 16, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

I also read that the Average U.S. family owes nearly $16,00 in credit
card debt.

I think you mean $16,000 per household or about $7,700 per individual.
It's much worse because only about 1/3 of the personal debt is in
credit card debt. It's quite a horror story:
http://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-card-debt

Well yes, per household may be correct although the article I read
said family. Assuming, I guess that a family equaled a household, I
suppose.

Whether "horror" is the correct term I'm not quite sure.

From: https://www.psychologytoday.com
"Self-control separates us from our ancient ancestors and the rest of
the animal kingdom, thanks to our large prefrontal cortex. It is the
ability to subdue our impulses in order to achieve longer-term goals.
Rather than responding to immediate impulses, we can plan, evaluate
alternative actions, and, often enough, avoid doing things we'll later
regret."
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 16th 16, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 23:19:33 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 09:56:33 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I don't know about Scandinavia (is that a proper term?) but I believe
that many British and quite a lot of U.S. farm houses had "Mud Rooms"
a small room built as part of an entrance where one removed one's
outdoor footwear as usually the Housewife objected strenuously when
the "Man of the House" came tramping into her kitchen with all the cow
manure on his boots.

My sister's mud room includes a shower, a washer, and a dryer. A
flying farmer I knew in the forties went her one better and had a
shower in his hanger. Everyone thought it was a marvelous idea, but
most of us were still stoked about having running water in the house
and I don't remember that anyone else ran plumbing to the barn.

I remember houses with running water. A hand pump at the kitchen sink
:-)

But if electricity had gotten as far as the "your house" it was pretty
common to have water piped to the barn. If "barn" meant a building
where animals were kept. Which was common in New England.
--
cheers,

John B.

From: https://www.psychologytoday.com
"Self-control separates us from our ancient ancestors and the rest of
the animal kingdom, thanks to our large prefrontal cortex. It is the
ability to subdue our impulses in order to achieve longer-term goals.
Rather than responding to immediate impulses, we can plan, evaluate
alternative actions, and, often enough, avoid doing things we'll later
regret."

I hope that starts soon. It will be a big improvement if it
ever happens.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 16th 16, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

almost tore off muh left hand falling into a seam hidden under 4" of muddy water.

Old July 16th 16, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-15 08:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

What do you do about the edges of your chainrings and rear cogs?

Ever heard of bash guards?

Yes, and I recognize the trick of responding to a question with a
question.

You just did that.

... But how about an answer?

What sort of guards do you have on your mountain bike's chainrings and
rear cogs? What sort of guards do you have on your road bike's
chainrings and rear cogs? Got photos?

Only one of the MTB has a protection ring, the other still needs one but
it is a tight fit. The road bike doesn't have one, it is a very old and
now non-standard mount. The risk of being sliced by the chain ring is
low, especially since when riding at a good clip the chain is always on
the big ring.

The main reason for MTB bash guards is rock hits, the fixed and the
flying kind.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 16th 16, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-15 17:08, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:55:24 -0400, Duane

On 2016-07-14 19:31, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 13:55:49 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-07-13 19:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I admit, there are some dangers that I don't worry about.
Fortunately,
there are enough people like you that enthusiastically worry about
every
conceivable danger, plus many inconceivable ones.

Thank you for your service!

Another free piece of advice since you are an ME: Do not design any
enclosures with that attitude, certainly not for consumer equipment.
Because that can put you one lawsuit away from financial ruin or a
serious charge for your employer.

Related: I'm on the board of commissioners for our little local
nature
preserve.

Some woman's grandson was horsing around with friends, fell into the
creek and got a cut. His cut got infected. She attacked Village
Council, saying "That water's polluted! You must never let anyone in
the water!"

Council had the water tested. Final results are not in, but
preliminary
results say the water is fine. But the village's liability-paranoid
lawyer said "We must put up warning signs!"

So the forest preserve now has several signs saying "DO NOT ENTER OR
DRINK THE WATER!"

On a recent hike, I said "Hey! Feel the edge of this sign! We need
another sign saying 'WARNING! SIGN EDGES ARE SHARP!!'"

... and where does it end?

That's got nothing to do with it. If a danger is obvious and most
of all
easy to fix we as engineers have a moral obligation to do so.

Do engineers have an obligation to put padding around the edges of all
metal signs? Certainly a bicyclist or pedestrian could bump into
one of
those sign edges.

No, but on bicycle parts they shall provide rounded edges. It is not
hard to do. See my other post for an example how it's done right.

Again: Where does it end?

You will not understand it.

But Joerg, bicycles are dangerous, they kill over 700 people every
year. Rather than some sort of regulation about sharp edges wouldn't
simply banning bicycles totally be a better solution.

:-)

Those sharp edges won't kill you but can hurt you badly and are
completely unnecessary. The injury of the guy whose leg sliced along the
edge of his homemade fender during an "involuntary dismount" looked
ghastly. Five more minutes invested using a file and some sandpaper
would have prevented that.

Riding in a group with sharp fenders is an ignorant thing to do
bordering on the criminal.

Is that why nearly all the bikes I see being ridden in groups don't
have any fenders? While many, maybe most. of the solo riders have
fenders.

I had always assumed that the fender less riders were what one might
call "fair weather" riders that stay inside when it rains while the
"fendered" riders were "real men" who rode, rain or shine.

Real men ride without fenders even through mud and look the part afterwards.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Bottle Cage Clamps Bill the Cat Australia 11 April 9th 08 12:27 AM
KH06 bearing clamps bungalistic Unicycling 13 January 14th 07 05:01 PM
Assembling Odi lock jaw clamps? D T W .../\\... Mountain Biking 5 July 18th 05 04:40 AM
front der. clamps Derk Techniques 3 June 8th 05 02:14 PM
FS: Pinarello Seat Clamps Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 01:18 PM