Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Old November 25th 20, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Did my 25 mile 1900 feet of climbing ride on the steel bike. Actually couldn't tell any difference between it and the Trek Emonda other than the Di2 was a little maladjusted. Weight difference ready to ride was around 5 lbs. My look is 16 lbs before bottle and flat kit. Frank will tell us that a flat kit shouldn't weigh more than a couple of ounces but of course he doesn't count his frame pump. Also he probably rides with his water bottle empty And then snivels like a little child that isn't allow another cookie when I show the actual weight of these things.
Old November 25th 20, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 14:35:21 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Did my 25 mile 1900 feet of climbing ride on the steel bike. Actually couldn't tell any difference between it and the Trek Emonda other than the Di2 was a little maladjusted. Weight difference ready to ride was around 5 lbs. My look is 16 lbs before bottle and flat kit. Frank will tell us that a flat kit shouldn't weigh more than a couple of ounces but of course he doesn't count his frame pump. Also he probably rides with his water bottle empty And then snivels like a little child that isn't allow another cookie when I show the actual weight of these things.

Tommy, I hate to tell you but nobody who is anybody still carries a
frame pump. A couple of years ago I rode over part of the same course
as the Laguna Phuket Triathlon bike portion was run and it was
noticeable that none of them were carrying a frame pump.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 26th 20, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:

Did my 25 mile 1900 feet of climbing ride on the steel bike. Actually couldn't tell any difference between it and the Trek Emonda other than the Di2 was a little maladjusted. Weight difference ready to ride was around 5 lbs. My look is 16 lbs before bottle and flat kit. Frank will tell us that a flat kit shouldn't weigh more than a couple of ounces but of course he doesn't count his frame pump. Also he probably rides with his water bottle empty And then snivels like a little child that isn't allow another cookie when I show the actual weight of these things.

Tommy, I hate to tell you but nobody who is anybody still carries a
frame pump. A couple of years ago I rode over part of the same course
as the Laguna Phuket Triathlon bike portion was run and it was
noticeable that none of them were carrying a frame pump.

I carry a CO2 inflator, but I still carry a tiny micropump "just in
case," and I've had to use it, too.

Mark J.

Old November 26th 20, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Did my 25 mile 1900 feet of climbing ride on the steel bike. Actually couldn't tell any difference between it and the Trek Emonda other than the Di2 was a little maladjusted. Weight difference ready to ride was around 5 lbs. My look is 16 lbs before bottle and flat kit. Frank will tell us that a flat kit shouldn't weigh more than a couple of ounces but of course he doesn't count his frame pump. Also he probably rides with his water bottle empty And then snivels like a little child that isn't allow another cookie when I show the actual weight of these things.

Tommy, I hate to tell you but nobody who is anybody still carries a
frame pump. A couple of years ago I rode over part of the same course
as the Laguna Phuket Triathlon bike portion was run and it was
noticeable that none of them were carrying a frame pump.

No one carries a frame pump _ while racing_.
Lots of us carry frame pumps.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 26th 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

They’re useful for putting air in the bad tube to find the leak and for
replacement tube to form for installation. And I’m a pinch for when
you’re out of CO2.

Racers don’t typically change their own tubes.

Old November 26th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Ditto. I use the clown pump when all the C02 cartridges are gone. CO2 cartridges are wasteful, but they are really convenient, particularly when you're changing a flat in pouring rain and don't want to stand around doing 2,000 strokes on the clown pump.

Note, when doing the annual or semi-annual (or whatever) full service on the bike, remember to lube the clown pump and make sure all the little parts are screwed on. I've had larger pumps that just didn't work because something had rattled off, or the plunger washer/valve gasket was dried out or cracked. The emergency equipment needs to be looked after, too. For Joerg, that would mean making sure that the defibrillator is charged and there is fresh plasma in the pannier. Does anyone still carry patch glue? There is something that magically dries up.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 26th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, and I know some guys still riding with "toe cages" and wooden
soled shoes and, believe it or not, some are still riding around on
single speed bicycles. Can you imagine? Not only no electric shift,
but no shift at all :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 26th 20, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I am one with my machine. Ommmmm.

Old November 26th 20, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

wrote:

My look is 16 lbs before bottle and flat kit. Frank will
tell us that a flat kit shouldn't weigh more than a couple
of ounces but of course he doesn't count his frame pump.

Tommy, I hate to tell you but nobody who is anybody still
carries a frame pump. A couple of years ago I rode over part
of the same course as the Laguna Phuket Triathlon bike
portion was run and it was noticeable that none of them were
carrying a frame pump.

I carry a CO2 inflator, but I still carry a tiny micropump
"just in case," and I've had to use it, too.

Ditto. I use the clown pump when all the C02 cartridges are
gone. CO2 cartridges are wasteful, but they are really
convenient, particularly when you're changing a flat in pouring
rain and don't want to stand around doing 2,000 strokes on the
clown pump.

Pump here, though smallish ones. Most of them can get the tire
close to 100 psi with that number of strokes or less. So far I
haven't used CO2, though I've considered it.

Note, when doing the annual or semi-annual (or whatever) full
service on the bike, remember to lube the clown pump and make
sure all the little parts are screwed on. I've had larger
pumps that just didn't work because something had rattled off,
or the plunger washer/valve gasket was dried out or cracked.
The emergency equipment needs to be looked after, too. For
Joerg, that would mean making sure that the defibrillator is
charged and there is fresh plasma in the pannier. Does anyone
still carry patch glue? There is something that magically
dries up.

Good advice. I carry patch glue, but rarely need it on the road..
When I have a few flat tubes collected, I go through the toolkits
from all my bikes and pull out any open (or old, beat up) glue
tubes to use then--replacing them with newer unopened glue tubes.
With that apprach I've yet to have a tube of glue fail to work on
the road.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

Thanksgiving Tom Kunich Racing 19 December 1st 08 09:50 PM
I'm on TV this Wednesday! MuniAddict Unicycling 18 April 17th 08 10:04 AM
Wednesday's SMH Jack Russell Australia 2 November 7th 07 07:13 AM
Thanksgiving??? Veloise Rides 0 November 10th 06 10:31 PM
F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. all on Thanksgiving Flying Elvis Mountain Biking 27 December 13th 04 02:33 AM