Chorus Triple Crankset 2003 - why not?

Old November 13th 03, 09:11 PM
Donald Gillies

Default Chorus Triple Crankset 2003 - why not?

I am curious if anyone knows why campagnolo did not offer a chorus
triple crankset for 2003. Also, is it possible to simply buy a chorus
crankset and drill it and/or add spacers and extra chainring bolts to
triplize it ?? It's campy's most aesthetically nice crankset - not
available in triple - seems illogical.

Is there some reason that there was no demand for chorus triple
cranks? Are they trying to use up their stock of record triples?

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old November 13th 03, 09:22 PM
bfd

"Donald Gillies" wrote in message
I am curious if anyone knows why campagnolo did not offer a chorus
triple crankset for 2003. Also, is it possible to simply buy a chorus
crankset and drill it and/or add spacers and extra chainring bolts to
triplize it ?? It's campy's most aesthetically nice crankset - not
available in triple - seems illogical.

Is there some reason that there was no demand for chorus triple
cranks? Are they trying to use up their stock of record triples?

Huh? Campagnolo DOES offer a Chorus triple crankset:
http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=2&cid=7

You can find them here (or any bike shop that sells Campy or buys thru QBP):
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1193

and also on ebay he

If you're only looking at the *big* mail order catalogs, first they're not
reflective of everything that's sold. Second, alot of them choose to sell
Centaur triple and/or the Racing-T triple as those 2 cranks offer alot of
value for the money, e.g., Campy quality for around $100, very hard to beat.

As for drilling out a crankset, I wouldn't. If you must use a double, get a
triplizer chainring (middle chainring with inner/smaller one attached), like
the TA or Willow ones sold he
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#135

Old November 13th 03, 11:07 PM
Donald Gillies

"bfd" writes:

Huh? Campagnolo DOES offer a Chorus triple crankset:
http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=2&cid=7

Not in 2003. The 2004 crankset is same as record in 2003. Did campy
simply phase out the chorus triples in 2003 because they know that
Record would become Chorus in 2004 ?? Is this the way we can tell in
the future when a crankset will be redesigned ?? Anyway, there was no
chorus triple for 2003 :

http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares03_A.pdf

Notice that "Chorus Triple" isn't listed in the index. All your other
suggestions were great, thank you.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old November 14th 03, 09:19 AM
A Muzi

Donald Gillies wrote:
I am curious if anyone knows why campagnolo did not offer a chorus
triple crankset for 2003. Also, is it possible to simply buy a chorus
crankset and drill it and/or add spacers and extra chainring bolts to
triplize it ?? It's campy's most aesthetically nice crankset - not
available in triple - seems illogical.

Is there some reason that there was no demand for chorus triple
cranks? Are they trying to use up their stock of record triples?

"Why" is always a dicey question but Campagnolo had the
Racing Triple crank, suitable for CHR and REC until the
introduction of the current Record Triple. IMHO they, being
a really small company, just brought out their new designs
in steps. (I am _not_ ascribing any furtive motives here)

New Chorus triple for 2004 might be just what you seek!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old November 14th 03, 02:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

gillies- I am curious if anyone knows why campagnolo did not offer a chorus
triple crankset for 2003. Also, is it possible to simply buy a chorus
crankset and drill it and/or add spacers and extra chainring bolts to
triplize it ?? BRBR

They just didn't and do for 2004. No way to drill a Chorus crank for a triple
but there are 'tripleizers' availanble that use a new middle ring for the mount
for the smallest ring.

gillies- It's campy's most aesthetically nice crankset - not
available in triple - seems illogical.
BRBR

I kinda like the Record one myself.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 14th 03, 02:52 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

gillies- Did campy
simply phase out the chorus triples in 2003 because they know that
Record would become Chorus in 2004 ?? BRBR

There never was a 'Chorus' triple, ever-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 14th 03, 04:34 PM
Mark Hickey

(Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

gillies- Did campy
simply phase out the chorus triples in 2003 because they know that
Record would become Chorus in 2004 ?? BRBR

There never was a 'Chorus' triple, ever-

There seems to be some confusion about this, but...

http://www.habcycles.com/chorus3.jpg

I know that the QBP Chorus kits spec a Record crank, but they DO have
Chorus triples in stock (I got the last 172.5mm one though). The rep
taking the order was surprised to find there WAS a Chorus triple
crank, FWIW.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old November 15th 03, 12:53 AM
Donald Gillies

Mark Hickey writes:

There seems to be some confusion about this, but...

http://www.habcycles.com/chorus3.jpg

I know that the QBP Chorus kits spec a Record crank, but they DO have
Chorus triples in stock (I got the last 172.5mm one though). The rep
taking the order was surprised to find there WAS a Chorus triple
crank, FWIW.

Well, the picture you're showing me (imho) is either a 2003 record, or
2004 chorus (now with record pattern 4-arms spider) crankset. I just
think the chorus 5-arm spider (+ 6th arm going to pedal) is the most
aesthetically pleasing campy spider.

I didn't realize that chorus & record buyers wanting a triple were (in
2002) supposed to buy a "racing triple" (looks like centaur), and in
2003 supposed to buy a "record" crankset and in 2004 are supposed to
buy a "chorus crankset" (record 2003 pattern).

I guess there never, ever, ever was a crankset with a nice 6-arm (not
5-arm) triple spider with a straight taper (as opposed to concave
taper of centaur) to the chainring bolts.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old November 15th 03, 02:24 AM
Mark Hickey

(Donald Gillies) wrote:

Mark Hickey writes:

http://www.habcycles.com/chorus3.jpg

Well, the picture you're showing me (imho) is either a 2003 record, or
2004 chorus (now with record pattern 4-arms spider) crankset. I just
think the chorus 5-arm spider (+ 6th arm going to pedal) is the most
aesthetically pleasing campy spider.

I suspect you're right about it being a 2004 model. That would
explain the confusion.

I didn't realize that chorus & record buyers wanting a triple were (in
2002) supposed to buy a "racing triple" (looks like centaur), and in
2003 supposed to buy a "record" crankset and in 2004 are supposed to
buy a "chorus crankset" (record 2003 pattern).

There ya go, expecting bike component manufacturers to make sense.
You should know better... ;-)

I guess there never, ever, ever was a crankset with a nice 6-arm (not
5-arm) triple spider with a straight taper (as opposed to concave
taper of centaur) to the chainring bolts.

How 'bout three? I'm sure somehow when it hit the ad department, it
would be lighter, stiffer and more aero.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old November 15th 03, 06:27 PM
Robin Hubert

Mark Hickey writes:

There seems to be some confusion about this, but...

http://www.habcycles.com/chorus3.jpg

I know that the QBP Chorus kits spec a Record crank, but they DO have
Chorus triples in stock (I got the last 172.5mm one though). The rep
taking the order was surprised to find there WAS a Chorus triple
crank, FWIW.

Well, the picture you're showing me (imho) is either a 2003 record, or
2004 chorus (now with record pattern 4-arms spider) crankset. I just
think the chorus 5-arm spider (+ 6th arm going to pedal) is the most
aesthetically pleasing campy spider.

I didn't realize that chorus & record buyers wanting a triple were (in
2002) supposed to buy a "racing triple" (looks like centaur), and in
2003 supposed to buy a "record" crankset and in 2004 are supposed to
buy a "chorus crankset" (record 2003 pattern).

I don't know that you're supposed to do any of those things, but you could
also buy a Centaur triple crank. Definitely the sweet spot.