Correcting a cross-threaded bottom bracket?

Old September 24th 17, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Correcting a cross-threaded bottom bracket?

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 10:52:33 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 11:09:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

segunda-feira, 12 de Outubro de 2015 Ã*s 10:06:19 UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot escreveu:
I was finally able to get the bottom bracket off of a friend's steel frame English threads bottom bracket bike. Whew what a job! The fixed cup cup was cross-threaded. He wants to put in a standard square-taper spindle cartridge bottom bracket. The problem is since the fixed cup was cross-threaded I can't get the new cartridge to thread in properly. Does a decent bicycle shop have a way to correct the cross-threaded threads in the bottom bracket shell? If so what's a ballpark price for doing it?

Thanks and cheers

Worth a try....desperate times - desperate measures. Cut 3 grooves in an old shell with a cutting disk as has been suggested and weld on a bar for leverage. Another "**** or bust" technique, not for the faint hearted...if you can get the cup in a few threads and can see it is skew by one thread (as often happens)give the part of the cup which protrudes more a SHARP TAP (a judicious blow)with a hammer! Then continue with the cup wrench and see if it goes in. THEN SELL THE KLUNKER POST HASTE! Or keep it (as in my case) ;-)

Depending on how much money you want to spend there are "threadless
bottom brackets" that are intended for the repair of damaged bottom
brackets. One source states that "Grand Cru threadless bottom brackets
fit most frames, even those with Swiss threading. And they work on
frames with damaged BB shells, even if the existing threading is
totally stripped."

see
https://store.velo-orange.com/index....-brackets.html
--
Cheers,

John B.

Perhaps there are special tools or adaptable threadlessbottom brackets; however I fixed that problem almost two yearsago. VBEG LOL.

Cheers
Old September 24th 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 7:52:33 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
[...]

I don't remember anything about my Time Edge but when I tried to remove the BB cups on the BB386 the right side will NOT come off. Sooner or later I will get around to cutting the cup most of the way through and then breaking it apart in the vice. At that point I will install one of those threadless bottom brackets.

I'm not sure but I seem to remember installing the cups and that they didn't appear to go in with any difficulty. They did have blue thread lock on them though. The right side unthreaded a turn or so and locked solid. No tool would move it. So I finally locked the cup in a vice and used the frame as a lever. All that accomplished was to break the BB liner loose from the carbon fiber bottom bracket.

So the only thing I can see is to cut through the cup and then smash it in on itself.
Old September 25th 17, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 9/23/2017 4:53 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:02:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped
It should also be stated that it is rare that ANYONE could install a bottom cross threaded enough that simply chasing the threads wouldn't restore full use. Though as someone that has apparently done it, it is possible.

I know a guy who managed to screw a RIGHT-hand pedal onto a LEFT crankarm. I asked him did he not notice that it was REALLY HARD to screw that pedal on. He said he did notice that.

Cheers

I could swear that I once threaded the (right-hand-thread) adjustable BB
cup into the (left-hand-threaded) right side of my Centurion Pro-Tour.
This was nearly 40 years ago; I was young and foolish.

When I figured out what I'd done, I pulled it out and could see no
damage (I know that should be impossible). Reassembled correctly and
rode the bike for many thousands of miles afterward, over 17 years.

If anyone told me the same story today, I would tell them they
misremembered, so maybe I am doing so, but the memory of the horror at
what I'd done - it was my first high-quality bike - is still quite fresh.

I've still got the frame. Maybe I should inspect those threads.

Mark J.

Old September 25th 17, 10:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?client...iw=360&bih=560

I assume Harris has one or 2

Schwin in Fort Myers has one or a set maybe common in a long standing shop

Stunning Goo's search results capacity