Grandson Bike Cam Mechanism Questions, Please

Old May 7th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob[_19_]

Default Grandson Bike Cam Mechanism Questions, Please

Hi,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

a. Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

b. Is there supposed to be a flat washer between the bike fork's
cutout, and the cam mechanism ?
On the cam side ?
On the Nut side ?

Much thanks,
Bob
Old May 7th 17, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary[_21_]

For your reference, records indicate that
Bob wrote:

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

Every set of brakes I’ve ever owned has had an lever that opened them
wide enough to pass the tire. Sometimes it doubles as the adjuster
for pad wear. Don’t know if kids bikes are so thoughtfully engineered
these days, though.

b. Is there supposed to be a flat washer between the bike fork's
cutout, and the cam mechanism ?
On the cam side ?
On the Nut side ?

Serving what purpose? I can’t recall ever seeing one.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Old May 7th 17, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Bob wrote in news
Hi,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

a. Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

b. Is there supposed to be a flat washer between the bike fork's
cutout, and the cam mechanism ?
On the cam side ?
On the Nut side ?

Bob, this is not the best group for such a query. You had best try
rec.bicycles.tech, where there are some very sensible bicycle enthusiasts
and mechanics.

You may be missing some measure, such as a quick release, that allows you
to open the brakes more widely for maintenance. Please be prepared to
specify the type or model of brake, or to post photos to something like
flickr.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old May 8th 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/7/2017 5:39 PM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
[...]

Or, for your typical 16" or 20" sidewalk bike, just remove
one brake shoe. Usually the one not on the cable side is
quicker.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 8th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/7/2017 3:07 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

a. Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

That's known as a Quick Release axle. Make sure you know how to operate
it. It's very common for people to use it wrong, think it's tight
enough, and crash because of it. See
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/HowTo/UseAQuickRelease.htm

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

What type of brake are you dealing with? If this type:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html
you can open the brakes easily by unhooking the noodle. See the fourth
photo down, not counting Sheldon's smiling face.

If it's a different type of brake, it may have a little quick release
lever somewhere in the brake system. If not, it's possible to add a
brake quick release to most types. Talk to your local bike shop.

BTW, this is a good source of info for lots of bike mechanical questions:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/

b. Is there supposed to be a flat washer between the bike fork's
cutout, and the cam mechanism ?
On the cam side ?
On the Nut side ?

No. You want the little teeth on the quick release bits to get a good
grip direction on the fork dropouts. The "dropouts" are the bits at the
end of the fork that perch on the axle.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 8th 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:07:13 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hi,

My Grandson got a new bike, and thought I'd ask you experts some
questions that have come up. I have to admit I know nothing
about "bike mechanics," and would be most grateful for the help.

a. Regarding the cam-lock that holds the wheel to the fork:

Clever gadget.

But, the only way it seems to take the wheel completely off
is to deflate it. Otherwise, we can't get it passed the brake pads.

Are the brake pads, in their relaxed position, supposed to be wide
enough to allow the tire to be passed thru them, easily ?
Or,...?

b. Is there supposed to be a flat washer between the bike fork's
cutout, and the cam mechanism ?
On the cam side ?
On the Nut side ?

Bob, you lucked out and should disregard my previous post. I did not realize that Andrew and Frank were monitoring this group.
Old May 9th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/7/2017 8:11 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/7/2017 3:07 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

That was supposed to be "_directly_ on the fork dropouts."

--
- Frank Krygowski