Booking Bikes on Virgin - Easy

Old July 19th 04, 09:24 PM
[Not Responding]

Default Booking Bikes on Virgin - Easy

There was a thread a while back, IIRC, describing real problems with
making a bike reservation with Virgin. So it was with some trepidation
that I picked up the phone to book tickets from the sunny South Coast
to the Peak District. Being shy in the face of bureaucracy (actually,
probably not true, really) I fully expected my next call to be to
Dahon; I even had the number ready.

It was all incredibly easy. The call centre Scotsman found the trains
I wanted and when I said "I'll be taking a bike", he replied "fine;
it's booked". As I'll have a connection at each end of the Virgin leg,
he went and checked the SWT and FGN bike policies for these unbookable
parts of the trip. So 9/10 to Virgin for easy bike booking (the final
point will be awarded when you can do it online, as in the past).

I reckon the SWT and FGN components could still bugger things up so
I'll use the brass neck principle of dealing with rail companies. I've
found a train for the first leg that doesn't stop between my joining
and alighting stations. I'll simply get on at the last minute and if
they want to chuck me off at the next stop, I won't complain.

Some rail related Q's:

Are bike compartments indicated on the doors of trains (I recall some
discussion of this point)?

On a Voyager (if that's what VT run between Southampton & Sheffield),
can I expect a sort of bike rack that needs the bike to be lifted into
place? Can I walk from the bike rack to my seat or do I need to exit
the train and reboard as in the days of guards' vans? What do people
do about security (I assume you're not allowed to lock the bike to the
train); I intend to lock my panniers to the bike and they won't have
much of value in them anyway.

Final rail Q: Having not travelled with VT before, can I expect to get
grub? The web site is incredibly vague and I can't work out (a) if
food is available and (b) if it is, how I get hold of it. I think I
can assume there isn't a dining car.

A cycling Q: what's this Winnat's Pass like? I have no intention of
riding across all those contour lines but it might be on the agenda
for those of the stag party who are not nursing injuries. I'll have
almost doubled my in year mileage if I make the 5 miles from home to
the station.
Old July 19th 04, 09:36 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

In ,
[Not Responding] typed:
Some rail related Q's:

Are bike compartments indicated on the doors of trains (I recall some
discussion of this point)?

Normally, but I couldn't say with FGN & SWT. On the Voyagers they're at the
end of standard class accommodation. (Coach F)

On a Voyager (if that's what VT run between Southampton & Sheffield),

Almost certainly. That said, I got on a Pendolino that was running between
Birmingham & Manchester (also a Cross country (Voyager) route) the other
day. Had to wheel my bike into a disabled space as there was noone to open
the bike compartment for me.

can I expect a sort of bike rack that needs the bike to be lifted into
place? Can I walk from the bike rack to my seat or do I need to exit
the train and reboard as in the days of guards' vans?

Yes, hangs from the front wheel fairly easily. It's at the end of coach F,
easily accessed from the rest of the train.

What do people
do about security (I assume you're not allowed to lock the bike to the
train); I intend to lock my panniers to the bike and they won't have
much of value in them anyway.

I normally lock it to the retaining clip for the rear wheel. No one's ever
mentioned it.

Final rail Q: Having not travelled with VT before, can I expect to get
grub? The web site is incredibly vague and I can't work out (a) if
food is available and (b) if it is, how I get hold of it. I think I
can assume there isn't a dining car.

There's a shop on a Voyager. It sells fairly good sandwiches, and pretty
good coffee.

Good journey.

Old July 19th 04, 09:53 PM
Martin 'MSeries' Newstead

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

Yes, hangs from the front wheel fairly easily. It's at the end of
coach F, easily accessed from the rest of the train.

Which is totally useless ig you have full length mudguards at the rear. The
space is not really large enough for a touring bike.

Old July 19th 04, 09:56 PM
[Not Responding]

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:36:47 GMT, "Richard"
wrote:

Are bike compartments indicated on the doors of trains (I recall some
discussion of this point)?

On Voyager it's at the non-FirstClass ie non-Yellow coupler end of the
train.

On a Voyager (if that's what VT run between Southampton & Sheffield),
can I expect a sort of bike rack that needs the bike to be lifted into

Yes

place? Can I walk from the bike rack to my seat or do I need to exit

No it's just past the normal vestibule in the end coach.

the train and reboard as in the days of guards' vans? What do people
do about security (I assume you're not allowed to lock the bike to the

You could try but I cant think of anything suitable to lock it to!

train); I intend to lock my panniers to the bike and they won't have
much of value in them anyway.

Final rail Q: Having not travelled with VT before, can I expect to get
grub? The web site is incredibly vague and I can't work out (a) if

There will be a shop. Bacon paninis are nice.

Or if it's the weekend, go weekend first for an extra 15 quid or so.

Bugger. Didn't think of that; I've just bought a first open return. I
suppose it would have only partially worked as I'm travelling up on
Friday.

Old July 19th 04, 10:18 PM
Martin 'MSeries' Newstead

Richard wrote:
"Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" wrote in message
Which is totally useless ig you have full length mudguards at the
rear. The space is not really large enough for a touring bike.

Either remove them or hang it from the rear wheel! There are of
course two hooks of varying height, for differing length bikes....

None of the above were viable options for me. There was no problem, the bike
did fit into the space but was cramped and thankfully no other bikes were
loaded.

Old July 19th 04, 11:54 PM
Neil Williams

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:24:29 +0100, "[Not Responding]"
wrote:

A cycling Q: what's this Winnat's Pass like? I have no intention of
riding across all those contour lines but it might be on the agenda
for those of the stag party who are not nursing injuries. I'll have
almost doubled my in year mileage if I make the 5 miles from home to
the station.

OK, I'm posting from uk.railway - but I think I can answer that one in
two words - *bloody* steep - and that was in a car, not cycling.

A quick Google will bring up some pictures to give you an idea.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old July 20th 04, 12:55 AM
JohnB

"[Not Responding]" wrote:

Some rail related Q's:

On a Voyager (if that's what VT run between Southampton & Sheffield),

Beware of the Virgin trains that start in Reading instead of Southampton :-(

Final rail Q: Having not travelled with VT before, can I expect to get
grub?

Of course. The buffet is open between Poole and Southampton, but only
when the train starts in Reading. It will also close 10 minutes before
you leave your seat due to staff shortages ;-(

A cycling Q: what's this Winnat's Pass like?

It's steeeep. if you have rear panniers only your front wheel WILL lift.
I think its 1 in 4 but it was twice that steep when i last rode it with
my camping stuff on board.

Enjoy your trip.

John B
Old July 20th 04, 09:11 AM
Tony Raven

[Not Responding] wrote:

Bugger. Didn't think of that; I've just bought a first open return. I
suppose it would have only partially worked as I'm travelling up on
Friday.

food is available and (b) if it is, how I get hold of it. I think I
can assume there isn't a dining car.

In First they have a steward who will serve you sandwiches, coffee, tea
etc. at your seat. Unless they have run out or find they have out of
date sandwiches in which case you can get them from the shop free if you
show your First Class ticket.

Tony