Trainer bombing - experiment

Old September 29th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

Default Trainer bombing - experiment

Yesterday I did an experiment on the trainer. I've tried to give as
accurate details as possible:

A. Put Metallica on the speakers at reverb levels.

1. Start out in 48x11 (MTB gearing on dedicated trainer bike) and ride
100rpm for 45 seconds, then go to 48x14 for one minute, finish in 48x16 for
3" 15seconds.

Rest 30 seconds - just long enough to stand on pedals and shake legs for 20
seconds

2. Repeat but in 48x14 for two minutes, 48x16 for three minutes

Rest 30 seconds - just long enough to stand on pedals and shake legs for 20
seconds

3. Repeat, but 48x14 for one minute, 48x16 for three minutes, 48x11 at
100rpm for last 30-40 seconds.

Trainer stats:
Total time: 10.05 (12 minutes. incl rest)
Total distance: 5.54 miles
Top speed: 35.7mph

B. Immediately dismount and get road bike and ride regular route with the
intent on setting a PB. (Metallica still ringing pleasantly in ears)

Rest the 2-3 minutes it takes to get out the front door. Did quick wipedown
with cold cloth.

Starting road ride, sweating profusely, quads a little numbish,
concentration level - v. high.

Breathing was *fantastic* - I felt like I had just taken oxygen or
something after about 2 minutes on the road, in comparison to the perceived
effort on the pedals.

Hill climbing dropped about 1-2mph over normal time, but pedal pressure was
-markedly- reduced. Felt like I could go really fast (but I couldn't,
exactly). Speed on the flats (21mph) was the same, but couldn't really
burst to 23mph like I do in some parts. Felt like I could go faster but
'brain to quads' link was not responding, or it was but quads were
ignoring, lol.

Time on the road course was about 1 minute slower than usual (distance 8.5
miles)

Concentration was extremely high - in fact there are some parts of the ride
I can't remember.

At the end I really didn't feel like I had ridden the course that hard
because breathing was really nominal.

Recovery was very quick. Sometimes when I try for a PB I'm breathing hard
for about 4-5 min after I get home.

Quads this morning have slight DOMS, but otherwise feel good. Rarely have
DOMS, even after hard 25 milers...

FWIW. I really liked this workout. ;-p

Old September 30th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

nobody wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a great workout.

Keep it up and I will bet that you will be fast...for the first 30
minutes of a race.

Jim