Chain width?

Old September 9th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Chain width?

On Sep 9, 6:45*pm, "Garry Jones" wrote:
Campagnolo 10-speed is 4.12mm wide

Shimano 10-speed is 3.95mm wide

My local shop sold me a 3rd party chain because they had no Campag in stock.
On the box it says it works with Shimano 10 speed AND Campag 10 speed.

Its from Spectra. I have no way of measuring the width at home, but how can
this work giving the differences?

What difference? Think what 0.17mm looks like. A hairs breadth,
possibly. If this is going to mess up a system, I sure don't want
that system. A bicycle drivetrain is meant to be a transmission of
power, not a piece of jewellery. Perhaps you would like to wear a
chain around your neck? Handcuffs and leg-irons do you as well?

Old September 10th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sep 9, 11:52 am, thirty-six wrote:
On Sep 9, 6:45 pm, "Garry Jones" wrote:

Campagnolo 10-speed is 4.12mm wide

Shimano 10-speed is 3.95mm wide

My local shop sold me a 3rd party chain because they had no Campag in stock.
On the box it says it works with Shimano 10 speed AND Campag 10 speed.

Its from Spectra. I have no way of measuring the width at home, but how can
this work giving the differences?

What difference? Think what 0.17mm looks like. A hairs breadth,
possibly. If this is going to mess up a system, I sure don't want
that system. A bicycle drivetrain is meant to be a transmission of
power, not a piece of jewellery. Perhaps you would like to wear a
chain around your neck? Handcuffs and leg-irons do you as well?

Unless this upcoming (already underway by now?) ride is something
where you have to push hard without worrying about the pin that you
pushed back in, considering the challenge of finding an authorized
shop to fix you up in time, I'd just throw a chain tool and quick link
in your patch kit (standard stuff for me anyway) and ride.

By the same token, the 3rd party chain would probably be okay. I
mean, if it's somewhere in between the 3.95 and 4.12 mm, you're
talking about ~0.1 mm tolerance.

Which is why 9-speed is plenty bleeding edge enough for me. (If and)
when I get my backup bike running, it will be 7-speed - probably a
refreshing simplicity. The backup wheel for my primary bike is 8-
speed, which I can run with my 9-speed chains, but have to friction
shift. (I realize this kind of paragraph is utterly retro-grouch :-)

Good to see you and the relevant tech discussion on rbt.