Catching 'em on camera

Old April 27th 12, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Mr Benn[_5_]

Default Catching 'em on camera

Letter (not mine) published in the Witney Gazette

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/...hem_on_camera/

Sir - While driving to work I saw a cyclist ahead of me travelling with a
camera attached to his helmet. Quite sensible, I thought, as it would
provide evidence in case of a dispute with a motorist.

But then the cyclist swerved across a lane without signalling, which made me
think perhaps it was high time I fitted a forward-facing camera to the
dashboard of my car in case I get 'cut up' by someone on two wheels.

The footage could be shown to my insurance firm if I get accused of pranging
a self-righteous man in lycra.

Old April 27th 12, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Nightjar

On 27/04/2012 14:52, Mr Benn wrote:
Letter (not mine) published in the Witney Gazette

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/...hem_on_camera/

Sir - While driving to work I saw a cyclist ahead of me travelling with
a camera attached to his helmet. Quite sensible, I thought, as it would
provide evidence in case of a dispute with a motorist.

But then the cyclist swerved across a lane without signalling, which
made me think perhaps it was high time I fitted a forward-facing camera
to the dashboard of my car in case I get 'cut up' by someone on two wheels.

The footage could be shown to my insurance firm if I get accused of
pranging a self-righteous man in lycra.

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/?gclid=CNv...FYYmtAodUEM90A

Colin Bignell
Old April 27th 12, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Simon Mason

Default Cycle hub planned for Manchester office block with parking spaces for 200 bikes

Forward planning for the tanker drivers strike?

QUOTE:
A landmark building in Manchester is set to have a secure 'cycle hub'
installed in its basement, which will provide parking for up to 200
bicycles, changing facilities and lockers. It is also hoped that the hub,
which is planed under the Greater Manchester Commuter Cycle Project, could
incorporate a retail outlet selling cycle accessories and providing a
bicycle maintenance service.

According to the Manchester Evening News, plans for the cycle hub at the
30-storey City Tower in Piccadilly Gardens, owned by commercial property
business Bruntwod, have been set out in a report compiled by the city's
transport bosses, although it does not appear to have been made public as
yet on the Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) website.

The newspaper adds that the report states that "Positive discussions have
taken place with cycle retailers regarding the retail unit with a view to
the letting of this unit by the time the centre is opened," which is
scheduled to take place this summer.

Last year, TfGM successfully applied for £4.9 million of Local Sustainable
Transport Fund (LSTF) money which together with local authority and other
funding will enable it to develop the Greater Manchester Commuter Cycle
Project, aimed at making it easier for people to cycle to work.

The first phase of that initiative envisages more than 1,000 secure cycle
parking spaces in 13 locations throughout Greater Manchester, with TfGM
saying that access to the facilities would be via a swipe card, with
membership available on an annual basis.

In November, confirming that planning applications had already been
submitted relating to proposed facilities at Ashton Pool and Bury
Interchange and that further LSTF finding was being sought, Councillor
Andrew Fender, Chair of the TfGM Committee, said: "The Commuter Cycle
Project is a very important first step on the path to achieving the
ambitious aims covered by our full Local Sustainable Transport Fund bid, so
I'm pleased we're making progress.

"These cycle hubs will provide the foundations for a real change in the way
people think about cycling; they will help to break down some of the
barriers - both real and perceived - that currently stop people from taking
their bike to work."

The Manchester Evening News states that according to the latest report, such
facilities are now planned for Rochdale, Trafford, Oldham, Stockport and
Wigan, with its authors adding, "Development work has also been undertaken
for a potential cycle hub at Media City and a facility at Spinningfields in
Manchester city centre. Provision for a hub at the Arndale is also being
considered."

http://road.cc/content/news/57162-cy...aces-200-bikes

--
Simon Mason

Old April 28th 12, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Squashme

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/...9529.Catch_the...

Sir - While driving to work I saw a cyclist ahead of me travelling with a
camera attached to his helmet. Quite sensible, I thought, as it would
provide evidence in case of a dispute with a motorist.

But then the cyclist swerved across a lane without signalling, which made me
think perhaps it was high time I fitted a forward-facing camera to the
dashboard of my car in case I get 'cut up' by someone on two wheels.

The footage could be shown to my insurance firm if I get accused of pranging
a self-righteous man in lycra.

Considering how much kit the average car has, it is surprising that
there are not more video cameras used. I suppose that, generally,
motorists are avoiding the possibility of self-incrimination.

However, I am in favour of vehicles having them anyway. The bus-
mounted video was of use in the recent Richmond pedestrian killed by
cyclist case.

Old April 29th 12, 05:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 27, 8:46*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

The Manchester Evening News states that according to the latest report, such
facilities are now planned for Rochdale, Trafford, Oldham, Stockport and
Wigan, with its authors adding, "Development work has also been undertaken
for a potential cycle hub at Media City and a facility at Spinningfields in
Manchester city centre. Provision for a hub at the Arndale is also being
considered."

http://road.cc/content/news/57162-cy...chester-office...

Looks good - even my employers are building a whole new cycle storage
centre at the gate house with access away from the car traffic.
Progress indeed.

--
Simon Mason

Yet another Simon, it must be catching! Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 5 March 16th 12 05:51 AM
Catching Faeries.. David Martin UK 13 October 30th 07 02:55 PM
Catching flips in the air. president_luke Unicycling 10 August 20th 06 09:37 PM
Catching them Young Davey Crockett Racing 1 March 10th 06 10:48 PM
Catching a breakaway Tony Australia 7 February 2nd 05 01:18 AM