A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Social Issues
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 3rd 04, 04:43 PM
Willy West
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs

You sound like Ted Kennedy boozed up trying to get Mary Jo Kopechne across
the Chappaquiddick bridge.
http://www.ytedk.com/ Natural Selection is Natures way of eliminating
the losers, and looks like you are next.


"Patrick Goetz" wrote in message
...
venting by: Patrick Goetz 07:38 PDT


On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Mike Dahmus wrote:
You started out fine, but right here you lost me, since from experience
in the past, I know that both you and MBJ occasionally run stop signs and
lights for no reason other than convenience. There is no safety benefit
here; only a convenience benefit (for you); and as I've pointed out, if
everybody did the same thing, you'd be dead long ago, since not everybody
has the skills to always know when it's safe to ignore the big red sign
or big red light.


That is correct. If there is no traffic in the perpendicular right of
way, then I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs.
Please explain to me how this is a safety problem.

For political reasons (i.e. in order not to give motorists an excuse to
hate bicyclists), if there are cars waiting behind me or opposite me I
usually don't run red lights even when there is no traffic, despite the
fact that this really inconveniences them by not having me out of their
way long before the light turns green. This is what I call "willful
stupidity" brought about by the fact that other people can't quite grok,
perhaps due to poor blood circulation to the brain as a result of lack of
exercise.

Trust me, most motorists would jump at the chance to treat stop signs and
red lights as optional. And trust me again: as a bicyclist, you don't
want to live in a world where they _do_.


Mike, this might come as a big shock to you, but *I* *don't* *care* if a
motorist runs a red light or stop sign when I'm not there to be hit. To
be more specific, I am perfectly comfortable with motorists treating red
lights and stop signs as yield signs; in fact, if all motorists drove the
way I bike, biking in Austin WOULD BE MUCH SAFER THAN IT IS NOW. It's all
about paying attention to what you are doing, trying to anticipate what
other road users are going to do, and MINDFULLY trying to prevent
accidents.

Traffic laws which create the illusion that one can tool around without
paying much attention to the matter at hand ARE A SAFETY PROBLEM. We'd be
a lot better off if everyone had to pay careful attention to the road
because they have no idea what might happen. For example and in point of
fact, traffic lights have NOTHING whatsoever to do with safety and
everything to do with allowing cars to drive faster than they would
otherwise be able to do in a situation where there might be contention for
right of way. Traffic lights ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen, as we all know from either personal experience or reading the
paper. Ditto for 4-way stops, although these are considerably less likely
to result in fatalities than traffic lights. Did anyone else notice that
Deborah Prokoff got killed at 44th and Ave G. AFTER THEY ADDED THE
"TRAFFIC CALMING" 4-WAY STOP SIGN AT THIS INTERSECTION?

This is a perfect example of just how stupid mindlessly following rules
actually is. An intersection with absolutely no right of way indications
(but with a huge sign indicating this) is probably much safer than ANY
alternative (save for something like a roundabout or traffic circle).
Why? Because everyone has to pay attention to what they are doing and
even though someone might space out or be drunk or ignore the sign, you
can bet that in almost all cases, at least one of 2 contending parties is
doing just that. Accident prevention. Before, users of the 44th and Ave.
G intersection had to be more careful, since one side clearly had the
right of way. Adding a 4-way stop was almost certainly directly
responsible for the death of a bicyclist.

This is why I'm firmly convinced that Fred Meredith, John Forrester, and
all the other "effective cycling" advocates are actually secretly OPPOSED
to increasing the number of bicyclists on the road. Their half-baked
preaching is directly responsible for increasing the number of bicycling
fatalities (lots of examples right here in Austin - Ben Clough, Deborah
Prokoff, etc. - check MBJ's web page). The more bicycle fatalities there
are, the more people are afraid to ride bikes because it's not safe. The
result: fewer bicyclists on the road. This is what these losers want:
They want to feel special, and every additional commuter bicyclist makes
them less so, so best to try to reduce the numbers of those pesky hangers
on (like me, for example), who ride bikes around without making a big deal
out of it. One way to do this is feeding them nonsense (always mindlessly
follow traffic rules being the primary example) which is GOING TO GET THEM
KILLED.

Pardon me if I don't have any respect for this attitude, in part because
it directly and negatively affects my own safety. The fact that honest
bicyclists get killed by listening to these idiots is kind of sad, but
it's also part of that evolutionary march towards better genes, hence
can't really be avoided. They should have been reading MBJ's bicycle
safety tips instead - they'd probably still be alive right now. And THAT
is the true irony of this whole ridiculous thread.






Ads
  #2  
Old August 4th 04, 02:04 AM
Grumpy au Contraire
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs



Patrick Goetz wrote:

venting by: Patrick Goetz 07:38 PDT

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Mike Dahmus wrote:
You started out fine, but right here you lost me, since from experience
in the past, I know that both you and MBJ occasionally run stop signs and
lights for no reason other than convenience. There is no safety benefit
here; only a convenience benefit (for you); and as I've pointed out, if
everybody did the same thing, you'd be dead long ago, since not everybody
has the skills to always know when it's safe to ignore the big red sign
or big red light.


That is correct. If there is no traffic in the perpendicular right of
way, then I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs.
Please explain to me how this is a safety problem.



For starters, it's illegal.



Rest of idiotic post snipped




--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
  #3  
Old August 4th 04, 03:15 AM
gort
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs

I think you have your faggot biking shorts on too tight and it is
restricting blood flow to your brain.

I for one will obey the green light and remove you from the gene pool you
loser. I will be the one in air conditioned comfort in my SUV enjoying
the second hand smoke of a wonderful cigar.

../4 more years.
  #4  
Old August 4th 04, 05:19 AM
Tom_Servo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs


"Patrick Goetz" wrote in message
...
venting by: Patrick Goetz 07:38 PDT


On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Mike Dahmus wrote:
You started out fine, but right here you lost me, since from experience
in the past, I know that both you and MBJ occasionally run stop signs and
lights for no reason other than convenience. There is no safety benefit
here; only a convenience benefit (for you); and as I've pointed out, if
everybody did the same thing, you'd be dead long ago, since not everybody
has the skills to always know when it's safe to ignore the big red sign
or big red light.


That is correct. If there is no traffic in the perpendicular right of
way, then I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs.
Please explain to me how this is a safety problem.


OK, you will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs, but won't
Cars will hit you and run you over?


For political reasons (i.e. in order not to give motorists an excuse to
hate bicyclists), if there are cars waiting behind me or opposite me I
usually don't run red lights even when there is no traffic, despite the
fact that this really inconveniences them by not having me out of their
way long before the light turns green. This is what I call "willful
stupidity" brought about by the fact that other people can't quite grok,
perhaps due to poor blood circulation to the brain as a result of lack of
exercise.


So, you usally run red lights.


Trust me, most motorists would jump at the chance to treat stop signs and
red lights as optional. And trust me again: as a bicyclist, you don't
want to live in a world where they _do_.


Mike, this might come as a big shock to you, but *I* *don't* *care* if a
motorist runs a red light or stop sign when I'm not there to be hit. To
be more specific, I am perfectly comfortable with motorists treating red
lights and stop signs as yield signs; in fact, if all motorists drove the
way I bike, biking in Austin WOULD BE MUCH SAFER THAN IT IS NOW. It's all
about paying attention to what you are doing, trying to anticipate what
other road users are going to do, and MINDFULLY trying to prevent
accidents.


So, if every bicycle rider ran stopsigns and red lights as you say, Austin
WOULD BE MUCH SAFER THAN IT IS NOW.


Traffic laws which create the illusion that one can tool around without
paying much attention to the matter at hand ARE A SAFETY PROBLEM. We'd be
a lot better off if everyone had to pay careful attention to the road
because they have no idea what might happen. For example and in point of
fact, traffic lights have NOTHING whatsoever to do with safety and


OK, you say "traffic lights have NOTHING whatsoever to do with safety"

everything to do with allowing cars to drive faster than they would
otherwise be able to do in a situation where there might be contention for
right of way. Traffic lights ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen,


OK, you say "Traffic lights ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen,"

as we all know from either personal experience or reading the
paper. Ditto for 4-way stops, although these are considerably less likely
to result in fatalities than traffic lights.


OK, you say "... 4-way stops,ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen"

Did anyone else notice that
Deborah Prokoff got killed at 44th and Ave G. AFTER THEY ADDED THE
"TRAFFIC CALMING" 4-WAY STOP SIGN AT THIS INTERSECTION?


She died following your example, ****head.



This is a perfect example of just how stupid mindlessly following rules
actually is. An intersection with absolutely no right of way indications
(but with a huge sign indicating this) is probably much safer than ANY
alternative (save for something like a roundabout or traffic circle).
Why? Because everyone has to pay attention to what they are doing and
even though someone might space out or be drunk or ignore the sign, you
can bet that in almost all cases, at least one of 2 contending parties is
doing just that. Accident prevention. Before, users of the 44th and Ave.
G intersection had to be more careful, since one side clearly had the
right of way. Adding a 4-way stop was almost certainly directly
responsible for the death of a bicyclist.


OK, you say death is caused by stop signs.


This is why I'm firmly convinced that Fred Meredith, John Forrester, and
all the other "effective cycling" advocates are actually secretly OPPOSED
to increasing the number of bicyclists on the road. Their half-baked
preaching is directly responsible for increasing the number of bicycling
fatalities


So, Fred Meredith, John Forrester, and all the other "effective cycling"
advocates are responsible for the Death of Ben Clough, Deborah Prokoff, and
others. Seems like YOU are responsible, and cannot accept what you have
caused.

(lots of examples right here in Austin - Ben Clough, Deborah
Prokoff, etc. - check MBJ's web page). The more bicycle fatalities there
are, the more people are afraid to ride bikes because it's not safe.


But, How can running stopsigns and red lights as you say to do, be safer?

The result: fewer bicyclists on the road. This is what these losers want:
They want to feel special, and every additional commuter bicyclist makes
them less so, so best to try to reduce the numbers of those pesky hangers
on (like me, for example), who ride bikes around without making a big deal
out of it. One way to do this is feeding them nonsense (always mindlessly
follow traffic rules being the primary example) which is GOING TO GET THEM
KILLED.


Do you have these feelings of paranoia often?


Pardon me if I don't have any respect for this attitude, in part because
it directly and negatively affects my own safety. The fact that honest
bicyclists get killed by listening to these idiots is kind of sad,


So, it is better for us to listen to you and run stopsigns, and red lights.

but it's also part of that evolutionary march towards better genes, hence
can't really be avoided.


OK, are you saying that you don't care about others that get whacked, its
just the natural selection thing?

They should have been reading MBJ's bicycle
safety tips instead - they'd probably still be alive right now. And THAT
is the true irony of this whole ridiculous thread.


So "MBJ" says run stopsigns and redlights, and agrees with you?

######## In Summery Folks!! ########################
OK, you will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs, but won't
Cars will hit you and run you over?
So, you usually run red lights.
So, if every bicycle rider ran stopsigns and red lights as you say, Austin
WOULD BE MUCH SAFER THAN IT IS NOW.
OK, you say "traffic lights have NOTHING whatsoever to do with safety"
OK, you say "Traffic lights ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen,"
OK, you say "... 4-way stops,ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen"
She died following your example, ****head.
OK, you say death is caused by stop signs.
So, you are responsible for the death of Ben Clough, Deborah Prokoff, and
cannot accept what you have caused.
But, How can running stopsigns and red lights as you say to do, be safer?
Do you have these feelings of paranoia often?
So, it is better for us to listen to you and run stopsigns, and red lights.
OK, are you saying that you don't care about others that get whacked, its
just the natural selection thing?
So "MBJ" says run stopsigns and redlights, and agrees with you?

This guy is definitely out to lunch, and working for the City of Austin!??

another post says he is :

Patrick Goetz
City of Austin Urban Transportation Committee Member


  #5  
Old August 4th 04, 05:33 AM
Truth dude
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs

"MBJ" must be "Micheal Blue Jay" former Critical Ass in Austin. And Patric
Goetz is now Leader of Critical Ass in Austin, figures. Two adolescent
"**** you" joyriders. Guess your tight with "Tym" (thats such a cutesie doo
name, joy!)
Too much riding in the sun has cooked their noodles, now rabid, insane
logic.

****ing morons - The worst thing that could happen to bicycling safety.

Seriously, you need to get out, get off this scene before you cause the
deaths of even more innocent trusting people.



"Tom_Servo" wrote in message
...

"Patrick Goetz" wrote in message
...
venting by: Patrick Goetz 07:38 PDT


On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Mike Dahmus wrote:
You started out fine, but right here you lost me, since from experience
in the past, I know that both you and MBJ occasionally run stop signs

and
lights for no reason other than convenience. There is no safety benefit
here; only a convenience benefit (for you); and as I've pointed out, if
everybody did the same thing, you'd be dead long ago, since not

everybody
has the skills to always know when it's safe to ignore the big red sign
or big red light.


That is correct. If there is no traffic in the perpendicular right of
way, then I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs.
Please explain to me how this is a safety problem.


OK, you will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs, but won't
Cars will hit you and run you over?


For political reasons (i.e. in order not to give motorists an excuse to
hate bicyclists), if there are cars waiting behind me or opposite me I
usually don't run red lights even when there is no traffic, despite the
fact that this really inconveniences them by not having me out of their
way long before the light turns green. This is what I call "willful
stupidity" brought about by the fact that other people can't quite grok,
perhaps due to poor blood circulation to the brain as a result of lack

of
exercise.


So, you usally run red lights.


Trust me, most motorists would jump at the chance to treat stop signs

and
red lights as optional. And trust me again: as a bicyclist, you don't
want to live in a world where they _do_.


Mike, this might come as a big shock to you, but *I* *don't* *care* if a
motorist runs a red light or stop sign when I'm not there to be hit. To
be more specific, I am perfectly comfortable with motorists treating red
lights and stop signs as yield signs; in fact, if all motorists drove

the
way I bike, biking in Austin WOULD BE MUCH SAFER THAN IT IS NOW. It's

all
about paying attention to what you are doing, trying to anticipate what
other road users are going to do, and MINDFULLY trying to prevent
accidents.


So, if every bicycle rider ran stopsigns and red lights as you say, Austin
WOULD BE MUCH SAFER THAN IT IS NOW.


Traffic laws which create the illusion that one can tool around without
paying much attention to the matter at hand ARE A SAFETY PROBLEM. We'd

be
a lot better off if everyone had to pay careful attention to the road
because they have no idea what might happen. For example and in point of
fact, traffic lights have NOTHING whatsoever to do with safety and


OK, you say "traffic lights have NOTHING whatsoever to do with safety"

everything to do with allowing cars to drive faster than they would
otherwise be able to do in a situation where there might be contention

for
right of way. Traffic lights ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen,


OK, you say "Traffic lights ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen,"

as we all know from either personal experience or reading the
paper. Ditto for 4-way stops, although these are considerably less

likely
to result in fatalities than traffic lights.


OK, you say "... 4-way stops,ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen"

Did anyone else notice that
Deborah Prokoff got killed at 44th and Ave G. AFTER THEY ADDED THE
"TRAFFIC CALMING" 4-WAY STOP SIGN AT THIS INTERSECTION?


She died following your example, ****head.



This is a perfect example of just how stupid mindlessly following rules
actually is. An intersection with absolutely no right of way indications
(but with a huge sign indicating this) is probably much safer than ANY
alternative (save for something like a roundabout or traffic circle).
Why? Because everyone has to pay attention to what they are doing and
even though someone might space out or be drunk or ignore the sign, you
can bet that in almost all cases, at least one of 2 contending parties

is
doing just that. Accident prevention. Before, users of the 44th and Ave.
G intersection had to be more careful, since one side clearly had the
right of way. Adding a 4-way stop was almost certainly directly
responsible for the death of a bicyclist.


OK, you say death is caused by stop signs.


This is why I'm firmly convinced that Fred Meredith, John Forrester, and
all the other "effective cycling" advocates are actually secretly

OPPOSED
to increasing the number of bicyclists on the road. Their half-baked
preaching is directly responsible for increasing the number of bicycling
fatalities


So, Fred Meredith, John Forrester, and all the other "effective cycling"
advocates are responsible for the Death of Ben Clough, Deborah Prokoff,

and
others. Seems like YOU are responsible, and cannot accept what you have
caused.

(lots of examples right here in Austin - Ben Clough, Deborah
Prokoff, etc. - check MBJ's web page). The more bicycle fatalities there
are, the more people are afraid to ride bikes because it's not safe.


But, How can running stopsigns and red lights as you say to do, be safer?

The result: fewer bicyclists on the road. This is what these losers want:
They want to feel special, and every additional commuter bicyclist makes
them less so, so best to try to reduce the numbers of those pesky

hangers
on (like me, for example), who ride bikes around without making a big

deal
out of it. One way to do this is feeding them nonsense (always

mindlessly
follow traffic rules being the primary example) which is GOING TO GET

THEM
KILLED.


Do you have these feelings of paranoia often?


Pardon me if I don't have any respect for this attitude, in part because
it directly and negatively affects my own safety. The fact that honest
bicyclists get killed by listening to these idiots is kind of sad,


So, it is better for us to listen to you and run stopsigns, and red

lights.

but it's also part of that evolutionary march towards better genes, hence
can't really be avoided.


OK, are you saying that you don't care about others that get whacked, its
just the natural selection thing?

They should have been reading MBJ's bicycle
safety tips instead - they'd probably still be alive right now. And THAT
is the true irony of this whole ridiculous thread.


So "MBJ" says run stopsigns and redlights, and agrees with you?

######## In Summery Folks!! ########################
OK, you will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs, but won't
Cars will hit you and run you over?
So, you usually run red lights.
So, if every bicycle rider ran stopsigns and red lights as you say, Austin
WOULD BE MUCH SAFER THAN IT IS NOW.
OK, you say "traffic lights have NOTHING whatsoever to do with safety"
OK, you say "Traffic lights ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen,"
OK, you say "... 4-way stops,ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen"
She died following your example, ****head.
OK, you say death is caused by stop signs.
So, you are responsible for the death of Ben Clough, Deborah Prokoff, and
cannot accept what you have caused.
But, How can running stopsigns and red lights as you say to do, be safer?
Do you have these feelings of paranoia often?
So, it is better for us to listen to you and run stopsigns, and red

lights.
OK, are you saying that you don't care about others that get whacked, its
just the natural selection thing?
So "MBJ" says run stopsigns and redlights, and agrees with you?

This guy is definitely out to lunch, and working for the City of Austin!??

another post says he is :

Patrick Goetz
City of Austin Urban Transportation Committee Member




  #6  
Old August 4th 04, 03:53 PM
rick++
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs

If you hurry, you get that engraved on your tombstone
before you'll need to use it.
  #7  
Old August 4th 04, 11:26 PM
alan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs

Won't it be nice to have the children back in school and too busy to waste
time trolling in Usenet?

--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."


"Tom_Servo" wrote in message
...

######## In Summery Folks!! ########################
OK, you will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs, but won't
Cars will hit you and run you over?
So, you usually run red lights.
So, if every bicycle rider ran stopsigns and red lights as you say, Austin
WOULD BE MUCH SAFER THAN IT IS NOW.
OK, you say "traffic lights have NOTHING whatsoever to do with safety"
OK, you say "Traffic lights ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen,"
OK, you say "... 4-way stops,ARE A SAFETY HAZARD; an accident waiting to
happen"
She died following your example, ****head.
OK, you say death is caused by stop signs.
So, you are responsible for the death of Ben Clough, Deborah Prokoff, and
cannot accept what you have caused.
But, How can running stopsigns and red lights as you say to do, be safer?
Do you have these feelings of paranoia often?
So, it is better for us to listen to you and run stopsigns, and red

lights.
OK, are you saying that you don't care about others that get whacked, its
just the natural selection thing?
So "MBJ" says run stopsigns and redlights, and agrees with you?

This guy is definitely out to lunch, and working for the City of Austin!??



  #8  
Old August 5th 04, 03:26 AM
Russ Frank
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs

Moron

"Patrick Goetz" wrote in message


  #9  
Old August 12th 04, 05:06 PM
Peter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs

Unbelievable that people would advocate those types of tactics with
the goal in mind of improving how bicyclists are treated! It would
really have the exact opposite effect!

Critical Mass must be a skunk-works project funded by anti-cycling
forces... maybe GM's Hummer Division. Gotta tear up the bike lanes to
make more room for the Hummerz, right?


Peter (I ride my bicycle to work in... Houston! {shudder})


"Truth dude" wrote in message ...
"MBJ" must be "Micheal Blue Jay" former Critical Ass in Austin. And Patric
Goetz is now Leader of Critical Ass in Austin, figures. Two adolescent
"**** you" joyriders. Guess your tight with "Tym" (thats such a cutesie doo
name, joy!)
Too much riding in the sun has cooked their noodles, now rabid, insane
logic.

****ing morons - The worst thing that could happen to bicycling safety.

Seriously, you need to get out, get off this scene before you cause the
deaths of even more innocent trusting people.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why I dont stop at red lights or stop signs Tom Keats Social Issues 5 August 4th 04 07:55 AM
Why I dont stop at red lights or stop signs Pete Racing 1 August 3rd 04 06:13 AM
Aren't bicycles suposed to stop at stop signs? Ken General 85 September 22nd 03 11:22 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.