Little Miami Bike Trail Gets Green Light

Old April 28th 05, 06:18 AM
Garrison Hilliard

Default Little Miami Bike Trail Gets Green Light

Reported by: Tom McKee
Web produced by: Neil Relyea
Photographed by: 9News
4/27/2005 9:45:42 PM

Construction on the Little Miami Bike Trail through Terrace Park finally
got the green light this week.

Work begins in November after years of village residents fighting the
project.

The biggest change to allow the trail through has been new leaders and
residents in Terrace Park.

That's changed the vocal opposition into reluctant acceptance of the
project.

And residents finally decided if the trail was coming anyhow -- they might
as well have input on its design.

The trail now comes to a screeching halt in Milford on the east side.

To the west, Hamilton County is building the path from Cincinnati.

That leaves one-and-a-half miles in Terrace Park undone, until now.

Resident input on crime and noise has produced an alternative proposal.

"The compromise plan calls for a 12-foot wide strip of asphalt right down
the center of the trail with three feet of green space on either
side," said Katie Mileham, of Terrace Park, "and then fencing and
screening beyond that to make it inconvenient for bikers and others to get
up into Terrace Park proper."

Katie Mileham's house is on Denison Lane, adjacent to where the trail will
be below grade.

"We're excited in the long run to have a trail, but we're obviously very
concerned because it is our neighborhood and our children and our property
are right here," said Mileham.

Robyn Forbes lives near New Street and Terrace Trail, where the bikeway
will be at street level.

"I think it's positive," said Forbes. "I think it's going to be a nice
place for families to ride their bike, to roller blade and to do
recreational things outdoors."

People who currently use the trail were excited to hear the news.

"My family lives in Mariemont and Terrace Park so it will be a way for us
to get to them and enjoy the nature," said Suzy Weinland, of Milford.

"It would be wonderful because we wouldn't have to drive as much and we
could just bike and bike and bike," said Jeff Palmer, who lives in
Anderson Township.

Work begins this November and should be done in August 2006.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) has scheduled a public
meeting next Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. to go over project details.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/...ike_trail.html

Old April 29th 05, 06:11 AM
Jason Settles

This sounds similar to views voiced when the Monon Trail
(http://www.indygreenways.org/trails-maps.htm) was initiated in the
Indianapolis area. Now, living near the Trail is considered a *feature* of
any house on the market.
It continues to be an excellent project for all involved.

Old April 30th 05, 01:52 AM
Skyhooks

Is there anywhere _adjacent_ or quite very nearby the Monon Trail for an
RV to safely park/camp overnight? Spouse and I prefer to park once and
then ride the trails. We'd rather not break camp just to drive to a
trailhead, unless really needs be. Thanks.

Skyhooks

Jason Settles wrote:

This sounds similar to views voiced when the Monon Trail
(http://www.indygreenways.org/trails-maps.htm) was initiated in the
Indianapolis area. Now, living near the Trail is considered a *feature* of
any house on the market.
It continues to be an excellent project for all involved.

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message
Reported by: Tom McKee
Web produced by: Neil Relyea
Photographed by: 9News
4/27/2005 9:45:42 PM

Construction on the Little Miami Bike Trail through Terrace Park finally
got the green light this week.

snip

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/...ike_trail.html

Old April 30th 05, 05:23 AM
Jason Settles

I would suggest parking in Broad Ripple (62nd Street and College Ave) next
to the Monon Trail. In that area, you could locate next to the Trail and
across from a bike shop.
There is plenty of everything in that area...except for an RV hook-up.
Otherwise, you would be as safe as possible in any area.
Broad Ripple Info: http://www.digitalcity.com/indianapolis/
Bike Line in Broad Ripple: http://www.thebikeline.com/home/default.asp
Monon Trail: http://www.indianatrails.org/Monon_Indy.htm
There are several other bike trails interconnecting in the Indianapolis
area. All are excellent cycling.