The Great Pumpkin Metric Bike Tour.

Old October 7th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unitik908

Default The Great Pumpkin Metric Bike Tour.

As the title says, I did the Great Pumpkin Metric Bike Tour this past
Sunday. It was a 50k tour throughout the surrounding little counties
outside my town. This being the third year I've done it, I started out
with a completely unwarranted air of confidence, that I was the man with
the plan (and the conditioning). Yet, the sad fact of the matter was
that I hadn't logged any actual distance on my 36er in say.. ohh.. I
donno, the LAST pumpkin metric last October. This daunting fact was in
the back of my mind the days leading up to the event.

Waking up at 7:30 on a Sunday is something I haven't in quite some time
either, and it was alarming how tired I was seeing as though 5 days a
week I wake up around 6:45 for school. The day was already starting out
crummy. Luckily my mommy made pancakes the night before so I had a
quality breakfast.

I got my unicycle out of the garage I decided to go on a test run
around my neighborhood, after a botched self mount I took off on my
second try. Everything was strange and shakey at first, but after a good
100 yards I was cruising just fine.

Worry number 1 was now fixed, I could still ride.

Worry number 2 set in soon thereafter, could I really ride 33 miles?

Pushing aside the notion that I couldn't accomplish my annual uni goal,
I set out for the ride. It was a 15 minute drive to the other side of
town, and the closer I got the more I realized, wow I really haven't
ridden in over a year... what the HELL am I doing? Saying this I knew
backing out was not an option, mainly 'cause I already paid my 20$
coverage charge. Once I got there and got my name tag/number thing it
was about 9:15, and for the next half hour I was putting around
practicing mounts and just getting comfortable, while I was waiting for
a friend to arrive. He did it on his bike, and I on my one wheeled
beast.

Shoving off at 9:45, I waved off my early arrogance and replaced it
with a little anxiety and a whole lot of hope. The first 5 miles went by
like a flash. I was just cruising on back country roads lined with
freshly cut corn crops and the occasional story book farm house. Then
the hills arived.

I had forgotten, or should I say repressed, the feeling of riding up
and down hill after hill. I have to power up hills pretty hard to keep
my momentum going so I make it up the inclines, so when I reach the top
I am extremely tired and then have to deal with downhills, the evil
teases. Even though I would pass up many "semi" hardcore bikers (by that
I mean the people who go out and buy lycra suits and $2500 road bikes)
they simply zoomed by on the other side, *******s. I got to the first
chekpoint, (12.8) miles without the much trouble.

Something must have happend in my little 10 minute gatorade, penut
butter sandwhich break, because once I got back on my whip it felt as
though and angry coal miner confused my perineum for a fresh slab of
rock. It was then it occured to me that my legs were in good shape from
working out and being in shape, but my "sittin parts" weren't as up to
snuff.

I wasn't sure if I really was just out of shape down there, I lost my
tolerance to that pain, or I was just being a baby. Regaurdless, it was
painfully obvious that this would be my biggest vice. The pain I began
to feel at about mile 18 was worse than the pain I felt in previous
years crossing the finish line.

To make a long story short, I crossed the finish line an hour and a
half slower than my previous slowest time. It took me about five hours
with quite a few breaks.

UNI- Stock Coker wheelset and frame, 125mm cranks with Bullet Proof
pedals, KH cross country seat and a T9 handle.
Time- 9:45-2:30
Amount of Gatorade- 3 refills on my camelback
Pain- A lot

So children, the moral of the story is... If you haven't ridden a
unicycle in over a year, you really shouldn't enter a 50k race (gong
noise).

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -
Old October 8th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Well, glad you made it. Now go ride more! I don't mean
*-_now_-* (don't want to
be mean), but soon.

--
Klaas Bil

Old October 12th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unitik908

last desperate attempt.

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

Ride-A-Lot snorted a pumpkin! LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 2 November 5th 07 10:43 PM
GREAT TOUR Tsarkon Racing 0 July 25th 06 04:05 AM
Happy Halloween From The Pumpkin Coker Man! JustOneWheel Unicycling 3 November 1st 05 03:38 AM
FS: Metric taps and dies for your bike wrenching. Brian Plaugher Marketplace 1 August 29th 03 02:39 AM