Cold Tires...

Old October 7th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

Default Cold Tires...

I thought this thread would be about the performances of different tires
in cold weather.
Could someone compare?

--
hobo_chuck
Old October 7th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

hobo_chuck;1109303 wrote:
I thought this thread would be about the performances of different tires
in cold weather.
Could someone compare?

For Trials I have tried CC and Luna in cold weather (down to -40) and
found that the CC felt like a brick and the Luna did not change much
when cold

For Muni I have used Gazz, Duro and Intense tires. The Gazz stays nice
and soft but the Duro and Intense both get much less grip as the rubber
freezes.

The Gazz was originally designed as a winter racing tire so it makes
sense that it would be good in cold.

on a 36 I have only used the TA tire. It doesn't seem to be affected
much by temperature but packs with snow easily and has very little
traction on snow and ice. Cutting a pattern into it really helps with
that.

--
saskatchewanian
Old October 8th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

saskatchewanian;1109310 wrote:
...(down to -40) .....

This is the perfect test temperature because it is unambiguous.
Excellent choice.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old October 8th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

I donno, but is it really that big a deal if the tire loses a little
pressure because the air in it is colder? A few pumps would do the
trick... personally, my Coker tire slowly leaks over a few weeks or a
month from 60 psi to 40 psi before I fill it up again... I'd never even
begin to notice a softer ride due to colder air. For me, if it's within
20 or 30 percent of where I feel like I want it, it's plenty close
enough...

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!
Old October 8th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

On a coker it doesnt bother me ever, but on my trials it kinda does.

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
Old October 10th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
roakey

harper;1109362 wrote:
This is the perfect test temperature because it is unambiguous.
Excellent choice.

Gotta be another enginner. I bet that was a woosh to many.

Roak

--
roakey

roakeyatunderctekdotcom
== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
Old October 10th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

roakey;1110676 wrote:
Gotta be another enginner. I bet that was a woosh to many.

Roak

i belive he's a physicist actually. Shame I don't have a selection of
tyres as the atmosphere chamber at work goes down to -50°C, could do
some objective testing.

--
kington99

Dave

Old October 13th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nimblelight

saskatchewanian;1109310 wrote:
the CC felt like a brick and the Luna did not change much when cold

The Gazz stays nice and soft but the Duro and Intense both get much
less grip as the rubber freezes.

We barely have our first snow of the year on the ground and my CC is
already handling poorly.

The gazz feels just the same as it did a month ago(now that I have
shims holding my frame straight again) and my freestyle tires (kenda
kikzumbut and primo the wall) both seem to handle the same except on
smooth surfaces, where they have a little less grip.

--
nimblelight

'Front page unicycle article'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=72686).
I also recently got an offer for a TV segment.