Car too close

Old June 15th 05, 09:36 AM
Marc Bishop

Default Car too close

As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle a
situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/herself to
drive as close to you as possible.
This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre of my right
hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). His number
plate was "APGRAF".
My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they do anything? I
have heard they are quite proactive.

Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting, I am not
really the type to beat him silly with a pump at the next set of lights if
the opportunity should so arise.

Marc
+++ sTARTING TO WONDER WHY I CYCLE ON THE ROAD++++

Old June 15th 05, 10:10 AM
trek-man

Mar

Its worth a shot, because no contact was made i doubt any officia
action will be taken but you can bet he'll have the joy of a Police ca
on his drive way and a gentle reminder about his drivin
responsibilities while his neighbours peer out from behind th
curtains
cheer
Mic
Marc Bishop Wrote:
As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle
situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/hersel
drive as close to you as possible
This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre of m
righ
hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). Hi
numbe
plate was "APGRAF"
My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they do anything

have heard they are quite proactive

Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting, I a
no

--
trek-man

Old June 15th 05, 10:16 AM
John Tserkezis

Marc Bishop wrote:

As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle a
situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/herself to
drive as close to you as possible.
This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre of my right
hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). His number
plate was "APGRAF".
My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they do anything? I
have heard they are quite proactive.

They're not. Been there done that. After my very cynical outburst on this
very issue some time back, I took notes there and then, reported it, and nada.
Police said they don't report "nearly accidents".

Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting, I am not
really the type to beat him silly with a pump at the next set of lights if
the opportunity should so arise.

Report the area, and relavant details here. (as you've done) By far more
useful and productive than waiting for some plod to get off their doghnut
break to fill out paperwork on something that didn't happen.

NFSE.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old June 15th 05, 10:22 AM
rooman

trek-man Wrote:
Mar

Its worth a shot, because no contact was made i doubt any officia
action will be taken but you can bet he'll have the joy of a Police ca
on his drive way and a gentle reminder about his drivin
responsibilities while his neighbours peer out from behind th
curtains
cheer
Mick

agree totally

the official line to get any action, (when you've been bingled) is,
you need a witness who will corroborate , but do it anyway!!!

Soon according to Bart at BV a campaign will launch to get mandator
"keep clear of bicyles by 1m minimum"...woohoo, so by inference an
impact is a breach if that and prima facie an offenc
confirmation...yeah!! meantime wear a pocket on your jersey sayin
"give cyclists 1 meter" ...

but any WR(ecks)X with personal plates is certainly "known" to Police
as its an incident waiting to find a telegraph pole to kiss....or
$5000 gear box to spread pahlushun on the road when it overstresses
which is often) :

never give any redneck pressure cooker a chance,.....give them bac
whatever they try and dish out ......REPORT THE MUVVA

--
rooman

Old June 15th 05, 12:09 PM
ritcho

Marc Bishop Wrote:
As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle a
situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/hersel
drive as close to you as possible.
This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre of m
right
hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). Hi
number
plate was "APGRAF".
My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they do anything
have heard they are quite proactive.

Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting, I a
not
really the type to beat him silly with a pump at the next set of light
if
the opportunity should so arise.

Marc
+++ sTARTING TO WONDER WHY I CYCLE ON THE ROAD++++

Don't worry about riding on the road, just take care. As for the wanke
in the WRX, the odds are that they'll be scraping him off a telephon
pole soon enough...

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old June 15th 05, 01:37 PM
rooman

ritcho Wrote:
Don't worry about riding on the road, just take care. As for the wanke
in the WRX, the odds are that they'll be scraping him off a telephon
pole soon enough..

Ritch

*SHAME THE BLIGHTERS :*

have a look at this post and add your incidents folks...how big wil
this list get

aus.bicycle '*SHAME FILE-Near Misses Road Rage VIC*
(http://tinyurl.com/bmcda)

Roo:

--
rooman

Old June 15th 05, 02:09 PM
Marty

Marc Bishop wrote:
As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle a
situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/herself to
drive as close to you as possible.
This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre of my right
hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). His number
plate was "APGRAF".
My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they do anything? I
have heard they are quite proactive.

Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting, I am not
really the type to beat him silly with a pump at the next set of lights if
the opportunity should so arise.

Marc
+++ sTARTING TO WONDER WHY I CYCLE ON THE ROAD++++

You can "register a complaint". The police may or may not do something
but most police will make some sort of mental note and keep an eye out
for "known trouble makers",(they're "known" now because you've just made
them known). If enough complaints are made about a particular car I'm
sure the police will act.

Marty
Old June 15th 05, 03:10 PM
trek-man

If possible sidestep the counter beeatch and ask to speak to someone i
traffic branch. I can only speak for Queensland legislation but there
a couple of good tickets that can be written as attitude adjusters

cheer
Mic
Marty Wrote:
Marc Bishop wrote
As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle
situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/hersel

drive as close to you as possible
This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre o

my righ
hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). Hi

numbe
plate was "APGRAF"
My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they d

anything?
have heard they are quite proactive

Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting,

am no
really the type to beat him silly with a pump at the next set o

lights i
the opportunity should so arise

Mar
+++ sTARTING TO WONDER WHY I CYCLE ON THE ROAD+++

You can "register a complaint". The police may or may not do somethin
but most police will make some sort of mental note and keep an eye ou
for "known trouble makers",(they're "known" now because you've jus
mad
them known). If enough complaints are made about a particular car I'
sure the police will act

Mart

--
trek-man

When Close to Home is Close to Home Blair P. Houghton Social Issues 14 December 11th 04 04:56 PM
*This* close Callas UK 27 July 12th 04 11:41 PM
How often do you get close to touching your "max"? Preston Crawford General 24 July 6th 04 01:39 AM
close call for me today Brink General 5 October 13th 03 04:57 PM
Poor surface may close Northbrook's Velodrome tracker140 Racing 4 July 31st 03 08:55 PM