Spooner

Old August 17th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Default Spooner

I've ridden with some really great riders who swear by brake lever
extensions of various kinds - Steve Colligan, Kris H, and a few others.
I've also had a bit of a ride on various unicycles with the lever
extender things that people used to have. But until now I've never
managed to get hold of a lever extension myself.

So anyway, suddenly they are easy to get hold of, so I just got me a
'Kris Holm Spooner' (http://tinyurl.com/5tog39) and I got a chance to
ride it today on my local trails, and wow, what a difference. Even over
a short evening ride (just under 10 miles) the difference is
noticeable.

It really lets you brake smoothly and keep in control, even over bumps,
through mudslides or when sliding down a slippy rock face. I rode some
of the hardest bits I've previously ridden, but in control all the way,
and also hit some trails I've never done before because of their
excessive verticality. If you hit a root / drop off things, you never
lose control of your braking finger, because it has a solid plate to
hold onto.

I find it way better than the previous extensions I've tried - although
this is the only one I've had on my own unicycle. It works great for
single finger braking, which is how I brake on anything technical, but
also is big enough so you can easily use 2 fingers (possibly even 3) -
for those really long descents, when your braking finger gets tired.

In terms of the thing itself - I thought £12 was a bit pricey for a
couple of bits of plastic - but now it has turned up, it's really
nicely made, fits perfectly, looks very neat, seems pretty solid. It
has four little brass bits for the bolts to go into. Generally it feels
like it's pretty precisely made. In terms of what it does to braking,
it's well worth the spend anyway.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new
pics' (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old August 17th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eroick

I tried a uni without a spooner and then one with it immediately after
at RTL. It puts your hand in a much better position for braking, and
makes holding the brake far more natural. Another great KH product! I'm
looking forward to getting mine.

--
Eroick

--Eric Evenchick
Email/MSN:
'Municycle.ca: Canada's Unicycle.com'
(
http://www.municycle.ca)
Old August 17th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

I think they're really nice - much better than the L-shaped extensions.
Roger had a bag of them at unicon and I even tested it against my Tektro
brake lever to see if it would fit (it would if I ground the end of the
lever off slightly). Then he told me the price and it went straight
back in his bag - way too pricey for me to be able to justify I'm
afraid.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old August 17th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

The reason it is so expensive is because it is made of nice plastic,
nice bolts, and it was designed to fit both generations of the magura
HS33. Although I've only tested mine out briefly because of my knee, I
love it. Expensive but completely worth it in my opinion.

--
mornish

email: mornish at gmail dot com
'The National Dept Clock' (http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/)
'definitely' (http://d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/)
'California Mountain Unicycle Weekend 2008'
(http://cmw08.blogspot.com/)
Old August 17th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

It does seem like a steep price to pay at first, especially when looking
at it - but frankly after using one on Roger's MUni to ride the downhill
at unicon, I can see why you would get one. Definitely worthwhile imo.

--
flyer
Old August 26th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

I received my 2 Spooners in the mail a couple days ago, and got around
to installing them yesterday. Now, I'm not sure what the "old" and
"new" versions of the HS33 lever are, but the fit was perfect and
simple on one (a new-ish one, although it was the kind with the TPC
that's a little star-shaped knob external to the lever, not built into
it), and fairly difficult and imperfect on the other--one in the style
of the old Tomac Raceline maggies. On that lever, I had to sort of
shove the Spooner on with one of the screws still partially screwed in,
and then was able to get the other three started. I didn't really crank
down on them, but they all did screw down eventually, with a little bit
of a gap at the front of the Spooner that I let be for fear tightening
it further would end badly. Anyway, even though I think it was a lever
not designed for use with the Spooner, I got it to fit acceptably. Now
I just need to find time to get on the trail and give it a good test.
They sure felt nice just in my driveway test-drives.

--
pkittle

Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg