Magura HS33 - Squeals like a pig

Old September 29th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

Default Magura HS33 - Squeals like a pig

I've got a KH29 (08) with a Magura brake. Boy is it noisy (I remember
this from biketrials but thought that the grind was to blame mostly,
turns out that's not the case).

It's so loud it's almost embarrasing to brake when there are people
closer than 100m as I'm afraid I'll pop their eardrums or give them a
heart attack.

So any thoughts on remedies:
* True rim - did this yesterday (didn't seem to help in my apartment at
least)
* Adjust toe in - havn't played with this yet
* Get a booster - thinking of it, will help with frame flex also.
* Wear in the gear, ie ride lots in mud etc - "just riding along" atm
:-)
* Change pads - I like the original blacks for this application
* Pour molten led into the frame making it more solid.
* ...?

--
412
Old September 29th 08, 09:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

412;1104451 wrote:
I've got a KH29 (08) with a Magura brake. Boy is it noisy (I remember
this from biketrials but thought that the grind was to blame mostly,
turns out that's not the case).

It's so loud it's almost embarrasing to brake when there are people
closer than 100m as I'm afraid I'll pop their eardrums or give them a
heart attack.

So any thoughts on remedies:
* True rim - did this yesterday (didn't seem to help in my apartment at
least)
* Adjust toe in - havn't played with this yet
* Get a booster - thinking of it, will help with frame flex also.
* Wear in the gear, ie ride lots in mud etc - "just riding along" atm
:-)
* Change pads - I like the original blacks for this application
* Pour molten led into the frame making it more solid.
* ...?

* Put up with it

Mine on my 29er squeals a bit but not too bad, normaly only at low
speeds, at higher speeds its normaly pretty quiet. Normaly with bike
trials it is the tar that makes them so load. Dont put tar on a rim if
you are only using it as a drag brake, dam its load (but very
powerful).

It may get quieter with time. I would just put up wit it.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

_Marcus_Collings_'*U**n**i**c**y**c**l**e**.**c**o **m*'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Gateway.asp)
*)---', 1mHighJump*
my 'pure trials vid' (http://www.vimeo.com/929928)
my 'Year in vid'
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)
Old September 29th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goldenchickenIV

Fixing the toe-in will definately lessen the noise.

--
goldenchickenIV

it's a lot easier to tuck and roll if you don't have a unicycle stuck to
your foot. – john foss
Old September 29th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pdc

Does it sound like banjo music?

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
Old September 29th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

goldenchickenIV;1104523 wrote:
Fixing the toe-in will definately lessen the noise.

What the best setup? Toe in, toe out or parallel?

--
412
Old September 29th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

magura's official line is that pads should always be parallel to the
rim.

I tried toeing in, but it didn't reduce squeal for me.

I've also run grey, black, and funny yellow trials pads at various
times. All had a bit of a squeal.

It seems to squeal more or less depending on weather / muddyness.

I think it is slightly quieter once it has worn in a little.

It's quite useful if you're in a busy area - normally unicycles are so
quiet that you can come up behind people without them noticing, using
the brake is good to let people know you're there.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old September 29th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

FWIW, I've run Maguras on my tandem for ages and not had a problem with
squeaking. They're HS66, but the caliper end is identical to the HS33
(the 66 was the version with drop bar levers, now sadly discontinued).
Normal black pads. I probably toed them in a bit when I set them up
just out of habit (just a couple of bits of paper under the back of the
block) - I don't remember doing anything special.

But that doesn't really help you... Are you sure everything's tight?
A lot of brake vibration problems are down to things being slightly
loose or worn pivots (not really applicable to Maguras). Are the rims
clean? Try harder compound blocks (but I think the black ones are about
the hardest anyway)?

Otherwise, try just riding along with the brake on for a bit to get the
pads to bed into the rim nicely - that sometimes helps.

The brake on my coker can sqeal a bit under light braking, especially
if it's a bit wet - but I'm sure that's down to it being a cheap bendy
BMX caliper.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old September 29th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

joemarshall;1104540 wrote:
I think it is slightly quieter once it has worn in a little.

I seem to remember a recommendation somewhere to sand down the pads a
little before using them, removing the coating that they get at the
factory.

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old September 29th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

Everything is tight, it actually got even worse when i tightened the
screws more... go figure. :-P

Lightweigh stuff tends to resonate, but the KH29 is hardly lightweight
(well the frame is though which may explain the magnitute of resonance a
little bit). I guess wearing in is needed. Btw I spat some water on the
pads, that kept is quiet like a mouse for 5-10 meters of downhill...

--
412
Old September 29th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goldenchickenIV

Try to reposition the pads a little higher or lower on the rim. Switch
left and right pad. Sing loudly so people won't notice

Magura HS33 drac Unicycling 9 September 1st 07 05:34 AM
UK Riders - Cheap Magura HS33 paul royle Unicycling 0 April 14th 05 11:09 PM
magura hs33 on ebay tennisgh22 Unicycling 7 June 3rd 04 09:15 PM
New Magura HS33 for $36 Tellurider Unicycling 10 April 14th 04 03:02 AM
HS33 Magura Brakes John L Australia 6 August 3rd 03 10:31 PM