Magura HS33 - Squeals like a pig

Old September 29th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scoope

Default Magura HS33 - Squeals like a pig

Toe-in should fix it.

The front of the pad should make contact with the rim just before the
back of the pad does - this translates to setting the front of the pad
about 1mm closer to rim than the back.

--
scoope
Old September 29th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

personally i toe out, if the front of the pad touches the rim first then
the front edge will vibrate. Think about pushing a foam block across a
table, if you drag it with only the tail end touching it will be fine.
But pushing it so the front edge is touching will cause it to grip,
deform and then slip, causing vibration.

--
kington99

Dave

Old September 29th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

My Maggies squealed when I first put them on my 36er with a powdercoated
airfoil rim. I spent an hour sanding them pollishing the breaking
surface of the rim to make it nice shiney bare aluminum and presto, no
more squeaks.

Does the KH29" rim have machine sidewalls? If it doesen`t I would get
rid of all the paint on the breaking surface. It made a world of
difrence for me.

--
saskatchewanian
Old September 29th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

I had major squeeks with my maggies on my 36. It happened with any rim.
I semi-solved it by hot glue gunning sandpaper to the pads; it still let
the uni stop, and ground away the powder coating.

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old September 29th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hansc

From 'Maggie FAQ' (http://tinyurl.com/4jfwv4):

*Q* - You guys keep bragging that Magura brakes don't squeal. I just
fitted new ones and they squeal a bit. Why are you guys lying?

*A.* Noooooo, we're not lying. Well, maybe a little. My HS-33's
squealed somewhat when brand new until the pads wore in a bit. I'd
suggest taking sandpaper to them - put the sand paper on a flat surface
and rub the pad on it until the factory finish has gone. Also scuff the
rim walls with 3M Scotchbrite pads too. Mine have never squealed since.
What Maguras don't need is toe-in like V-brakes. Set the pads dead flush
to the rims. Remove your tires to really see clearly what you're doing.
Big Dave's additional comment - Another thing that may cause squeal is
lack of boosters, air in the lines (not getting full power) and loose
bolts.

Hope you find a solution; it's likely my KH29 will have the same
problem.

--
hansc
Old September 30th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

hansc;1104788 wrote:
From 'Maggie FAQ' (http://tinyurl.com/4jfwv4):

[...]

Yea that sounds about right, mine are now worn in and like perfectly
flush and mine are silent, rode with them yesterday, not a sound.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

_Marcus_Collings_'*U**n**i**c**y**c**l**e**.**c**o **m*'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Gateway.asp)
*)---', 1mHighJump*
my 'pure trials vid' (http://www.vimeo.com/929928)
my 'Year in vid'
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)
Old October 6th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

I decided to grab the pig by the b****, so no half measures this time.

I've:
* Sanded the rim (it had a very rough surface with tracks in it and a
nasty weld join which caused thumps every revolution). If i where to
guess the 08 rim is to blame (the 07 version is nice and smooth)
* Sanded the pads (most likely not the culprit, but got rid of rims
imprinted "tracks")
* Rebuit the whole wheel (stock build was off center and out of true)

I'll:
* Get a brake booster
* Adjust the pads more precisely

And if that doesn't solve it I'll just live with it - hopefully I'll
get my booster this week so I can give it a try. (I won't check what did
what but report on the final result.)

--
412
Old October 6th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ruan

I had the same problem!! And I know the feeling of people turning around
thinking it's a firetruck with a major emergency!!

I used normal chain oil to lube it but it only last for about 60km then
it squals again....

--
Ruan

---------------Don't *mess* with *the* Rohan---------------
Old October 6th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

Hey,

My brakes usually squeal when aluminum oxide from the brake surface has
gotten into the pads. For me, cleaning pads and the rim with a
degreaser like Simple Green, and perhaps lightly sanding the pads, does
the trick.

Kris

--
danger_uni
Old October 8th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

After saying how quiet mine were, they have now started to squeal realy
badly. I think it was after they got damp in the rain yesterday. They
have goten wet many times before and stayed quit though, weird.

danger_uni;1108456 wrote:
Hey,

My brakes usually squeal when aluminum oxide from the brake surface has
gotten into the pads. For me, cleaning pads and the rim with a
degreaser like Simple Green, and perhaps lightly sanding the pads, does
the trick.

Kris

I think I may try that, although everyone stares anyway, why not tell
them you have brakes by making a little noise?

Magura HS33 drac Unicycling 9 September 1st 07 05:34 AM
UK Riders - Cheap Magura HS33 paul royle Unicycling 0 April 14th 05 11:09 PM
magura hs33 on ebay tennisgh22 Unicycling 7 June 3rd 04 09:15 PM
New Magura HS33 for $36 Tellurider Unicycling 10 April 14th 04 03:02 AM
HS33 Magura Brakes John L Australia 6 August 3rd 03 10:31 PM