Unicyclists in Portland, OR

Old October 9th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
velophile

Default Unicyclists in Portland, OR

Hi Folks,

I'm headed up to Portland, OR for a job interview next week and
possibly much longer. Naturally I couldn't move anywhere where my wheel
wouldn't be happy, so can anyone tell me about (or hook me up with) the
big wheel community there?

Thanks,
Mike (Austin, TX)

--
velophile
Old October 9th 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Howdy, Portland is a VERY cycle friendly city. I and one other forum
user on here(do NOT associate with his uni friends they aren't very
people friendly) coker pretty much everywhere. there are lots of very
nice places to ride. I'll Pm you my cell number and I can shoot you my
cell number. Give me a call when you get into portland and I'll make
time to ride.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old October 9th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
velophile

Thanks for the connection Catinabag1.

Madison - That sounds like great news. I've been concerned the city
would be void of cokers... but then again, if Texas can breed
unicyclists, who cant?!
I did get your phone number. Also, I fly into Portland for an
interview next Wed through Friday (Oct 15-17). My only free day is
Thursday, but I won't have a wheel... I'd be thrilled with a loaner but
don't expect anything. For now, I'm just happy to make the connection
and hope to catch up wheels at some point (assuming I get the job of
course! )
Mike

--
velophile
Old October 9th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

velophile;1110142 wrote:
Thanks for the connection Catinabag1.

Madison - That sounds like great news. I've been concerned the city
would be void of cokers... but then again, if Texas can breed
unicyclists, who cant?!
I did get your phone number. Also, I fly into Portland for an
interview next Wed through Friday (Oct 15-17). My only free day is
Thursday, but I won't have a wheel... I'd be thrilled with a loaner but
don't expect anything. For now, I'm just happy to make the connection
and hope to catch up wheels at some point (assuming I get the job of
course! )
Mike

There were a few local riders here who did a 100 mile ride to the beach
in one day. Unfortunately I am busy wednesday through friday this next
week. I wont be using my coker if you want I can let you borrow it for
your stay here. Let me know if you would like to swing by my house and
borrow it and I'll pm you my adress. Good luck getting the job!

Old October 9th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

Ducttape;1109988 wrote:
Howdy, Portland is a VERY cycle friendly city. I and one other forum
user on here(do NOT associate with his uni friends they aren't very
people friendly) coker pretty much everywhere. there are lots of very
nice places to ride. I'll Pm you my cell number and I can shoot you my
cell number. Give me a call when you get into portland and I'll make
time to ride.

Whooah there Madison, on the Portland scene, I think you are talking
about this group: http://www.unicycle*******s.com/
Yes, those are bare asses on the home page - and despite what Madison
claims, think you will find that Portland is one of the most
uni-friendly places in the USA. Lots of friendly, social and fun-loving
uni riders here that formed up in a loosely organized unicycle . . .
gang?? called the Unicycle *******s.

Yes, our mouths may be filled with potty and we love a good debate, but
you won't be bored . . .
We: Unicycle polo, distance ride (doing this on Sunday:
http://www.harvestcentury.org/ , day and night off-road rides, 36"er
commute, trials and unicross race on 29ers http://www.crosscrusade.com/
silliness like uni-jousting and tons of other freak-bike action.

Not sure when you are coming to Portland, but there is a great on-line
calendar of coming local rides on the Unicycle *******s calendar at:
http://www.unicycle*******s.com/
and here is a fun (but distrubing/bloody/violent) video that we shot
for a local film festival:
YouTube - Unicycle
*******s Kick Zombie Ass

Hope this helps clarify.
Brycer1968

--
brycer1968
Old October 9th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JackOlsen

I'm going to agree with brycer on this one. I moved to Portland just
last year and have found an unheard-of variety of unicycling
opportunities.

I do like to take sides and in Portland I've sided with the
Unicycle*******s. Sure, you could ride with ducttape on his epic
journeys to and from high school. Or, you could come play uni-polo, ride
in CycloCross races, explore the various scenic highways, etc. with the
*******s. The group is far from 'not people friendly'. We just don't
seem to mesh well with the interests/ideologies of one particular
teenager.

Sorry ducttape, some offense.

--
JackOlsen
Old October 9th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
fatguygoesuphill

H e y , W E L O O O V E P E O P L E !

It's just that some people are less people-like than others.

also, we prefer to have human to human contact rather than virtual
poofter-whiny-bitchy-unicyclist.com forum interactions.

also also, we looove B I G F O N T S and different colors
(poofterbitchywhinyuncyclist. com readers tend to hate this. go figure)

-Love your mother

--
fatguygoesuphill

It won't come off
Old October 9th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bokchoi

I'm with Jack and brycer.

Polo in the sun,
Polo in the rain,
Polo in the snow,
Polo, polo, polo!

And that other stuff (trails, trials, pedalpalooza, multnomah county
bike fair jousting, unicross, security patrols, dead baby downhill,
zombie rides, movie making, etc..) was fun too!

See you on the court!

--
bokchoi
Old October 10th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Serious_Juggling

Saying "I like to choose sides" here, or "I choose the *******s" is a
false choice - there's no reason not to hang out with more than one
unicyclist. I like unicycling with Madison. I also like playing uni polo
with Brycer, Jack, and Bokchoi. But there are a couple of the Unicycle
*******s who are downright mean online, and often in person too. So when
one says the *******s aren't "people friendly," that makes sense to me
because the UBs include *******s, and the rest do nothing to discourage
or disavow any of it. Labeling unfriendly behavior as such doesn't
excuse it either. One could be a UB without crossing the line from
funny/creative into vicious/destructive. There's a lot more detail I can
get into, but I have a unicycling/juggling festival I'm trying to get
to.

So if some of you "*******s" want to invite the public to ride, and
have fun, and play polo, that's great. I'll be there for polo, and I
often tell others about it. But if you want to "choose sides," belittle
someone much younger than you, and turn a blind eye to the bullying,
cheating, and disdain for others and what's socially acceptable, then
you're going to have to accept it when someone calls a spade a spade (or
a ******* a *******).

-Ben Schoenberg
http://www.SeriousJuggling.com

--
Serious_Juggling
Old October 10th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
fatguygoesuphill

Hey, we LOOOVE people!

It's just that some people are less people-like than others.

also, we prefer to have human to human contact rather than virtual
poofter-whiny-bitchy-unicyclist.com forum interactions.

also also, we looove big fonts and different colors
(poofterbitchywhinyuncyclist. com readers tend to hate this. go figure)

-Love your mother

--
fatguygoesuphill

It won't come off

Unicyclists in Portland, OR catinabag1 Unicycling 0 October 9th 08 06:25 AM
Good LBS in Portland, OR?? Paul M. Hobson[_2_] General 7 July 1st 08 09:23 PM
Route From Portland to the Coast SW of Portland James Fitch Rides 4 April 29th 07 06:46 PM
Portland Cyclists boyafraid General 0 January 29th 05 02:38 AM
Anyone going to Portland J-Fest? Mandell Unicycling 14 September 29th 03 07:18 AM