First Uni

Old October 9th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tapeman

Default First Uni

I'm thinking I will go into street and want to be able to start on my
starter uni. My biggest ledge is about 28 in high and my biggest stair
set is 20 in high and 3 stairs. I live out by some trails (not muni
trails just walking trails) and thought I might ride out there some
times. I thought abou getting an lx. will that hold up to what I
want to do? Also I thought I would get a 20 in should I get a
24? I live in the us so I can get a lx without a problem. My
budget is mebey about 120-130 at most. tahnks for any help.

--
tapeman
Old October 9th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

I'm not an expert with torkers, I barely know anything about them.
But a 20" ISIS would be the best. The Nimbus X or ISIS trials would be
good for the job, but out of your price range. Maybe some one who knows
something about torkers will help.

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you?
*
Old October 9th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tapeman

theres one thing I for got to mention. I weigh 90-100 pounds

--
tapeman

Old October 10th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

tapeman;1110305 wrote:
I thought abou getting an lx. will that hold up to what I want to
do?

At your weight it'll prob hold up for a while, but it'll eventually
break. If you want something to last you will eventually need to get
something w/ a splined hub & cranks.

The cheapest splined trials would be a Torker DX on e-bay ~ $230. The
Nimbus w/ KH cranks is a good deal as well.

I'd get the LX and stay away from drops until you've saved up enough
for a good uni (I'd get the Nimbus or a KH).

If you start off w/ a 24" LX it'll be a bit harder to learn but better
for more distance and trails.

If you start w/ a 20, it'll be a bit easier to learn and then have a
freestyle uni/loaner.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old October 10th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

Remember that what's be good to do trials on may not be good to learn
on, but also that most people don't have that much trouble learning.

You have a choice to make indeed, having learned about street
unicycling before even getting a first uni.

You say your biggest set is a 3 stair, so a splined unicycle may not be
necessary. I can do 3-4 stairs on my freestyle uni without breaking
anything, but I did land poorly and bend my crank arms a few times.

--
hobo_chuck
Old October 10th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

Sounds like if you have a maximum of 130 to spend, the lx would be your
best choice.
I think a nimbus isis trials would be a better option, but if that
isn't doable, go with the torker lx, it should last you a while, they're
definitely worth it! (You may want to upgrade the seat though!)

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.
Old October 12th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tapeman

bump

--
tapeman
Old October 12th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tapeman

It isnt trials it is trails that I want to do.

--
tapeman
Old October 12th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

tapeman;1111954 wrote:
It isnt trials it is trails that I want to do.

Most people use a trials unicycle to do street. The bigger tire helps
absorb the shock of landing stair sets and drops etc.

I don't do much street at all but I can tell you that jumping down a 2
set is a lot harsher on a 20" BMX style wheel than with a trials setup.

From everything I hear a torker LX is an excellent starter uni but I
would want something with a fatter tire once you start doing any kind of
drops.

--
saskatchewanian