that was close

Old January 21st 09, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

Default that was close

Stopped on my bike this afternoon to use a toucan crossing (on the hill from
Epsom downs toward Epsom). My light turns green. traffic has a red light.

Fortunately I was slow of the mark as some idiot ignores the red light and
zooms through at (estimate) 20 mph.

F****ing tosspot!

Oh, the Tosspot was a cyclist, who passed down the inside of two cars
stopped at the red light. Had I stepped out when the cars stopped I would
have been comprehensively creamed!

pk

Old January 21st 09, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:05:51 -0000, "pk" said
in :

Stopped on my bike this afternoon to use a toucan crossing (on the hill from
Epsom downs toward Epsom). My light turns green. traffic has a red light.
Fortunately I was slow of the mark as some idiot ignores the red light and
zooms through at (estimate) 20 mph.
F****ing tosspot!
Oh, the Tosspot was a cyclist, who passed down the inside of two cars
stopped at the red light. Had I stepped out when the cars stopped I would
have been comprehensively creamed!

What an idiot. Doubly so, really, because passing stationary
traffic within a lane and with that kind of relative speed is asking
for trouble. Nothing wrong with filtering, but not when the speed
differential is 20mph.

I hope you offered him some sage, if monosyllabic, advice.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old January 21st 09, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:37:11 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

snip

Nothing wrong with filtering, but not when the speed
differential is 20mph.

Indeed:

Ian Smith says that the Highway Code endorses filtering - he just
can't find where it does so.

(I think he is in competition with you)

judith

--

Compulsory helmet wearing is a 'safety measure' whose costs fall
entirely on the cyclist; no government is spending required. It is an
Old January 21st 09, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm surprised you did not hear it, I think most of London did!

pk

Old January 21st 09, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:12:40 -0000, "pk" said
in :

I'm surprised you did not hear it, I think most of London did!

LOL! Probably would have done, but I'm off sick today.

Old January 21st 09, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

Is it the ******'s colic again?

Old January 23rd 09, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 21 Jan, 18:05, "pk" wrote:
Stopped on my bike this afternoon to use a toucan crossing (on the hill from
Epsom downs toward Epsom). My light turns green. traffic has a red light.

Fortunately I was slow of the mark as some idiot ignores the red light and
zooms through at (estimate) 20 mph.

F****ing tosspot!

Oh, the Tosspot was a cyclist, who passed down the inside of two cars
stopped at the red light. Had I stepped out when the cars stopped I would
have been comprehensively creamed!

pk

Whether as a cyclist or pedestrian, if I'm crossing at any controlled
bike/pedestrian crossing, I always make sure that any motor traffic
has stopped or shows definite signs of stopping. With moving bikes on
the road approaching such crossings I never make any assumptions that
they are going to stop - you have to watch them all the way.

Similarly as an extensive user of the pedestrian phase of road
junction traffic lights in my city, by far the greatest danger to me
crossing at junctions comes from cyclists failing to observe the red
traffic lights. And, as someone who walks extensively on city streets,
the only other near misses I've had recently have been on pavements
when approaching blind corners and almost being hit by cyclists on the
pavement. Motor vehicles (and cyclists) on the road, I can see and
avoid - cyclists riding recklessly on the pedestrian pavement at blind
corners are much more a matter of a chance. Then there are cyclists
tanking along the pavements past rows of shops, ready to demolish the
first person who unwittingly steps out of a shop doorway.

Toom

It's so close... j-n Unicycling 11 June 23rd 06 04:55 AM
By 'eck, that were close... General Easterly UK 10 January 9th 06 03:08 PM
So WVM really does come too close wafflycat UK 1 August 23rd 05 08:58 AM
Car too close Marc Bishop Australia 7 June 15th 05 03:10 PM
*This* close Callas UK 27 July 12th 04 11:41 PM