inflating tubeless tires without a foot pump.

Old February 6th 04, 04:32 PM
gazzer

Default inflating tubeless tires without a foot pump.

I recently had cause to inflate a UST tire, but I didn't have access
to a high pressure airline, track pump or CO2 cartridge.Just on the
off chance I put some chain lube round the rim, set the casing as best
I could and then stuck a camelback hose onto the valve and blew it up
by lung power. It was actually very easy to set the bead and I
finished it off with my mini pump.
If you were caught out on the trail (i.e you trashed a valve, or
burped the tire)this could work for you.

cheers

gaz
Old February 6th 04, 06:40 PM
Per Elmsäter

gazzer wrote:
I recently had cause to inflate a UST tire, but I didn't have access
to a high pressure airline, track pump or CO2 cartridge.Just on the
off chance I put some chain lube round the rim, set the casing as best
I could and then stuck a camelback hose onto the valve and blew it up
by lung power. It was actually very easy to set the bead and I
finished it off with my mini pump.
If you were caught out on the trail (i.e you trashed a valve, or
burped the tire)this could work for you.

cheers

gaz

Did you try setting the bead with your mini pump first?

--
Perre

Old February 7th 04, 02:19 AM
gazzer

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message ...
gazzer wrote:
I recently had cause to inflate a UST tire, but I didn't have access
to a high pressure airline, track pump or CO2 cartridge.Just on the
off chance I put some chain lube round the rim, set the casing as best
I could and then stuck a camelback hose onto the valve and blew it up
by lung power. It was actually very easy to set the bead and I
finished it off with my mini pump.
If you were caught out on the trail (i.e you trashed a valve, or
burped the tire)this could work for you.

cheers

gaz

Did you try setting the bead with your mini pump first?

I did, and it didn't work
Old February 7th 04, 03:13 AM
Westie

gazzer wrote:
I recently had cause to inflate a UST tire, but I didn't have access
to a high pressure airline, track pump or CO2 cartridge.Just on the
off chance I put some chain lube round the rim, set the casing as best
I could and then stuck a camelback hose onto the valve and blew it up
by lung power. It was actually very easy to set the bead and I
finished it off with my mini pump.
If you were caught out on the trail (i.e you trashed a valve, or
burped the tire)this could work for you.

cheers

gaz

I'm using Hutchinson Scorpions on Mavic UST Crossmax wheelset at the moment
and they seat without any trouble. Three or four quick strokes with a
minipump will seat them. I couldn't be more pleased with that aspect of UST
so far.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old February 7th 04, 08:33 AM
gazzer

"Westie" wrote in message ...
gazzer wrote:
I recently had cause to inflate a UST tire, but I didn't have access
to a high pressure airline, track pump or CO2 cartridge.Just on the
off chance I put some chain lube round the rim, set the casing as best
I could and then stuck a camelback hose onto the valve and blew it up
by lung power. It was actually very easy to set the bead and I
finished it off with my mini pump.
If you were caught out on the trail (i.e you trashed a valve, or
burped the tire)this could work for you.

cheers

gaz

I'm using Hutchinson Scorpions on Mavic UST Crossmax wheelset at the moment
and they seat without any trouble. Three or four quick strokes with a
minipump will seat them. I couldn't be more pleased with that aspect of UST
so far.

After my first try with tubeless I was less than impressed, funnily
enough it was scorpions on crossmax xls that seemed to leak
constantly. I had also seen this combo leak badly on another bike
,when the front brake was applied, which is just dangerous.
Somehow I ended up with x3.1s with IRC mythos and serac ust on my new
bike and after 5 or 6 rides I've had no problems.
I'd heard all the worries about fixing flats in UST tires and decided
to see how easy it was to get them on and off the rim, the night
before an early ride, It was very easy, I just used my thumbs, but
when I found my track pump had died I had to improvise a little.

So basically I've had a complete change of heart about tubeless, I
like the resistance to pinchflats when running low pressures and, so
far at least, they seem as easy to work with as regular tires.

cheers