It's cold out here! OT

Old January 23rd 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default It's cold out here! OT

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nsZGMtsE3Q

Jobst Brandt
Old January 23rd 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nsZGMtsE3Q

Looks much like our typical ride to work in January. I'm sure Tim
McNamara & Co. are even colder, with over a degree more latitude.

We have some ex-staff 'on the ice' who tell great Antarctica stories.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 23rd 09, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 22, 5:59*pm, A Muzi wrote:
wrote:
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nsZGMtsE3Q

Looks much like our typical ride to work in January. I'm sure Tim
McNamara & Co. are even colder, with over a degree more latitude.

We have some ex-staff 'on the ice' who tell great Antarctica stories.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

When it gets below 50 in El Paso I dress like the divers in the movie
to go for a ride.
Old January 23rd 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 23, 8:16 am, Still Just Me wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:21:58 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

When it gets below 50 in El Paso I dress like the divers in the movie
to go for a ride.

I believe you. I've been in LA when the temperature drops below 60 in
the "Winter" and seen them don their parkas just to walk from their
car to the office.

Downright balmy here today. Out the door this morning just a little
*above* freezing. My fingers could still operate the button on my
headlight when I got to work!
Old January 23rd 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

wrote:

When it gets below 50 in El Paso I dress like the divers in the movie
to go for a ride.

I believe you. I've been in LA when the temperature drops below 60 in
the "Winter" and seen them don their parkas just to walk from their
car to the office.

Come on - I went out to the Stagecoach Century a couple of years ago and the
temperature on the desert floor never got above 40 degrees F. at the hottest
part of the day and all of the surrounding mountains were covered with snow.
And that was on the Mexican border.

So let's not pretend that it doesn't get cold down there.

Old January 23rd 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Tom Kunich wrote:

... I went out to the Stagecoach Century a couple of years ago
and the temperature on the desert floor never got above 40 degrees F.
at the hottest part of the day and all of the surrounding mountains
were covered with snow. And that was on the Mexican border.

So let's not pretend that it doesn't get cold down there.

A friend and I did the Stagecoach last year, and they were STILL talking
about how cold it was a time or two before. We lucked out, as it was high
40s to mid50s for whole ride. Lots of people pulling off layers pretty
early...

Bill "about due for next C" S.

Old January 23rd 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:

When it gets below 50 in El Paso I dress like the divers in the movie
to go for a ride.

I believe you. I've been in LA when the temperature drops below 60 in
the "Winter" and seen them don their parkas just to walk from their
car to the office.

But there ain't no windchill factor when you walk. Actually, in El
Paso it gets to be between 30 and 40 in the mornings. It is tolerable.
My problem is that I don't warm up and can be riding hard and still
feel cold. There are always 7-15 mile an hour winds and when it is
below 40, the wind chill factor feel like it is very cold. If you ride
above 18 miles an hour it feels even colder.

I can tolerate several layers and when I am finishing the rides
afternnooon, it may be about 60 and I am still wearing three or four
layers on my chest, leg warmers, fingered gloves and a beanie.

Some guys ride in shorts with a jersey,arm warmers and a wind vest in
the 30s. They don't seem to be cold and their ears don't ache. I'll
get a ear infection if I don't cover my years below 50 degrees. I'll
get a ear ache that won't go away and end up taking antibiotics two
days later.
Old January 24th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

When it gets below 50 in El Paso I dress like the divers in the movie
to go for a ride.

I believe you. I've been in LA when the temperature drops below 60 in
the "Winter" and seen them don their parkas just to walk from their
car to the office.

But there ain't no windchill factor when you walk.

Depends on how windy it is when you walk.

Old January 24th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:

When it gets below 50 in El Paso I dress like the divers in the movie
to go for a ride.

I believe you. I've been in LA when the temperature drops below 60 in
the "Winter" and seen them don their parkas just to walk from their
car to the office.

But there ain't no windchill factor when you walk.

Depends on how windy it is when you walk.

You are right, but when the air temperature is 60, you need a pretty
mean wind. Now, when the air temperature is in the 30s and you get a
20 mile an hour wind, it'll go through every layer.
Old February 3rd 09, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:

When it gets below 50 in El Paso I dress like the divers in the movie
to go for a ride.

I believe you. I've been in LA when the temperature drops below 60 in
the "Winter" and seen them don their parkas just to walk from their
car to the office.

But there ain't no windchill factor when you walk.

Depends on how windy it is when you walk.

You are right, but when the air temperature is 60, you need a pretty
mean wind. Now, when the air temperature is in the 30s and you get a
20 mile an hour wind, it'll go through every layer.

This morning was ~27 degrees F - but dry, so not so bad. This
afternoon, getting ready to head for home, it was 52 degrees (!) with
*no* wind! Woo-hoo! Summer's back already! (Until tomorrow morning,
anyway :-)

cold? not! max General 37 December 11th 07 04:14 AM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 06:33 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 06:33 PM
cold weather? How cold is it? Max General 14 December 12th 04 07:50 PM