OT - Free Linux Newsreader?

Old January 30th 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default OT - Free Linux Newsreader?

Someone wrote:

Ah, works great. I hadn't used Pan in a while. Good stuff once
you learn the basic commands:

n: next unread article
cntrl+n: next article
f: reply via usenet
r: reply via mail--Pan is usually configured to use T-bird these
days for mail, but that's easily changed.

Best of all: real filtering and plonking with easy scoring.

I'm on version 0.132, Waxed in Black/Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

Thanks for the shortcuts! I was wondering why reply didn't work,
I wanted to hit f rather than r.

Don't overlook "g" for reply-to-all as a useful feature at least
that's the protocol on mutt mail reader, also using UNIX editors.

Since my last test failed, I suppose this is my pan & mozzarella
test.

Cool. Any way to sort a thread by post time like GG rather than by
what the poster is replying to? It's weird having newer posts
above older posts because of who/what they replied to. Aside from
that I'm liking it.

You can click on the first icon by the "subject or author" search
box and have it only show new posts*. Alternately a couple icons
down click to see only stuff you've been posting.

If you want to simply see all posts in the order posted to the
newsgroup without threading, go to View/Header Pane/(un)thread.

I suggested using TIN (threaded newsreader) in UNIX before, but that
also makes using a UNIX emacs or VI editor a requirement, both of
which, I find much easier than MS Word and the so many "I'll hold your
hand" type editors. Alone the ESC-Q function and quote level tracking
is essential to newsgroup communication.

Jobst Brandt
Old January 30th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
A Muzi wrote:

carlfogel wrote:
www.motzarella.org

landotter wrote:
Testing motzarella, testing.

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
You're 5 by 5, over.

Tim McNamara wrote:
Nice pop culture reference.

urbandictionary.com doesn't list it - huh?

"5 by 5" was a line used by Faith Lehane to indicate "cool."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_(...Vampire_Slayer)
Old January 30th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
A Muzi wrote:

carlfogel wrote:
www.motzarella.org
landotter wrote:
Testing motzarella, testing.
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
You're 5 by 5, over.

Tim McNamara wrote:
Nice pop culture reference.

urbandictionary.com doesn't list it - huh?

"5 by 5" was a line used by Faith Lehane to indicate "cool."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_(...Vampire_Slayer)

Come on guys, are there no radio operators here?

Marcus
Old January 30th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Marcus Coles wrote:

Come on guys, are there no radio operators here?

raising hand Here!

General class ham
Old January 30th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Jan 30, 1:36*pm, wrote:
wrote:
makes using a UNIX emacs or VI editor a requirement, both of
which, I find much easier than MS Word

Really?

One can learn emacs pretty easily?

One can *master* vi or emacs easier than MS Word, and the software
won't do odd things to your text without telling you, like hiding
deleted sections in completed documents, or using non-standard quotes.
Old January 30th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Brian Huntley" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 1:36 pm, wrote:
wrote:
makes using a UNIX emacs or VI editor a requirement, both of
which, I find much easier than MS Word

Really?

One can learn emacs pretty easily?

One can *master* vi or emacs easier than MS Word, and the software
won't do odd things to your text without telling you, like hiding
deleted sections in completed documents, or using non-standard quotes.

One can *master* notepad easier than any of the above.

(I use vi daily, and still dislike it. I try and use notepad even less.
MS-Word serves a different purpose to vi, emacs and other text editors, so I
use it when I need to do stuff it's suitable for. Otherwise I use whichever
editor comes to hand - probably mostly PFE and the netbeans one, or of
course the OE composition window I'm in now, and very rarely need to do
anything complicated in them. And I've never had environments with emacs as
standard, so never seen the point of installing it. But I was never much of
an editor warrior.)

free newsreader MartinM UK 4 September 16th 06 07:18 PM
Newsreader Tim Downie UK 31 September 12th 03 06:24 PM