Great bike helmets - that I can get overseas

Old July 3rd 08, 09:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Default Great bike helmets - that I can get overseas

I've tried the Xen at my LBS. Light, comfortable & good protection, but
a bit pricey for me. I also tried the Hex - not quite as comfortable, a
teeny bit heavier, and a lot less expensive, but doesn't come in as cool
colors IMO.

They didn't have my size in the Hex, so I got a Bell Influx. I'm very
happy w/ it.

'This' (http://www.coloradofreeride.com/giro-g10-mx-pr-356.html) Giro
G10 MX looks good if you want skater type protection w/ a visor. Looks
like it might get a bit hot though.
[image:
http://coloradofreeride.com/images/W...tblk-0708.jpg]
Edit: It's actually a ski/board helmet, but I think you can remove the
insulation.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old July 3rd 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

I use a Giro Transfer. It is the cheapest helmet I've found that has
decent ventilation. It is slightly less well ventilated and 20g heavier
than the Atmos / Ionos, but costs 20-25% of the price. The difference in
price is easily the cost of a weekend away camping and riding.

Ken & I are both recommending road style helmets. I think they're fine
for muni and road unicycling. They may be not as good protection if
you're doing loads of trials or if you hit your head a lot, but for
general riding they are a fair bit cooler, which is nice, particularly
if you're in somewhere warm.

How long are you in France? Are you going to get some riding in the
mountains in while you're there? The Alps are well worth the trip if
you have time - there is some great lift assisted riding if you like
downhilling. You can get trains from Paris to some parts of the alps
(something like a 5 hour train ride though).

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
Old July 3rd 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
teachndad

This doesn't do Miles any good at the time of this posting, but I was in
Sport Chalet two weeks ago and I saw a helmet similarly styled like the
one pictured - a road helmet with extra protection around the ears and
a visor with more venting than a skate helmet and it looked very cool.
I can't remember the manufacturer, but I don't think it was a Giro. I
think the price was less than 70 USD.

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
Old July 3rd 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Banana Kitten

skilewis74 wrote:
I've tried the Xen at my LBS. Light, comfortable & good protection, but
a bit pricey for me. I also tried the Hex - not quite as comfortable, a
teeny bit heavier, and a lot less expensive, but doesn't come in as cool
colors IMO.

They didn't have my size in the Hex, so I got a Bell Influx. I'm very
happy w/ it.

'This' (http://www.coloradofreeride.com/giro-g10-mx-pr-356.html) Giro
G10 MX looks good if you want skater type protection w/ a visor. Looks
like it might get a bit hot though.
[image:
http://coloradofreeride.com/images/W...tblk-0708.jpg]
Edit: It's actually a ski/board helmet, but I think you can remove the
insulation.

fail on that helmet lol. Ive saw countless giro's, and i think my
friend owns one also. Its not a bad snow helmet, but it would be the
most UNCOMFY and UGLY thing to wear, even with taking out the padding.

Theres a difference between a snow helmet - and a summer dry activity
helmet.

snow helmets have a lot of crash impact foam that isnt removeable, and
a bunch of pads that are meant to keep your head warm, and protected. I
own helmet that is similar in padding and stuff, although its a more
expensive helmet, and looks cooler. (plus its metalic grey/green, its
sexy)

a summer helmet is made for ventilation lol... My 661 helmet is like a
specific trials biking helmet almost. It has rubber padding, that are
only in the key impact areas. Everything else is just the 1/8'' shell.
I doubt its gonna cushion my head like a regular bike helmet, but it'll
do its job.

edit: the only insulation you would be able to remove in that helmet is
the ear covers i think.

--
Banana Kitten

amanda.gallacher wrote:
I cn't red. i thnk i might b a bit drunk. oopsy

Old July 4th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

You should check out the Fox Flux. IMO a very cool design and it comes
in a wide variety of colors. For me, it's comfort was a bit less than
the Giro Zen, but comparable to the Hex.

For me my next helmet must have some rearward protection. The mtb
style helmets I've tried that had the most were the Zen and Flux. Also
it must have a visor (the bright sky can be distracting for me on
technical sections).

One of the Santa Barbara guys wears a black skate style helmet w/ a
visor, but I don't know what kind.

Banana Kitten wrote:
the only insulation you would be able to remove in that helmet is the
ear covers i think.

Yeah, but it has 14 adjustable vents and you can get it w/ built in
headphones.

The insulation can be non-pernamently removed on most helmets like that
that I've seen in person, but it usually effects fit and comfort.

It could be a good winter/summer helmet, but two separate ones would
prob be much better.

Old July 4th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

skilewis74 wrote:

Yeah, but it has 14 adjustable vents and you can get it w/ built in
headphones.

The insulation can be non-pernamently removed on most helmets like that
that I've seen in person, but it usually effects fit and comfort.

It could be a good winter/summer helmet, but two separate ones would
prob be much better.

I'm just saying, dont use a ski helmet for a bike helmet. You would
look stupid in minnesota. Its very easy to tell the difference.

Dont trust built in headphones. I dont, i think they would suck. I
would always choose an earbud over built in, any day. Plus, seperate
headphones would make more sense, and be far safer.

When doing park skiing, sound is a key element for safety. I wear ONE
earbude, or earphone at a time. Otherwise, your eligible to hit someone
else, without being able to hear anyone say anything, or hear them
moving.

2 seperate helmets imo, like you said. That giro you posted would make
a bad summer helmet. You would have to go through so much JUST to make
it not extremely hot. Then, even if you did that, it'd look really
stupid.

--
unibikeling

'sixsixone - Great equipment for all riding!' (http://sixsixone.com/)

beeper wrote:
you sir, are unrealistic

Emile.m wrote:
Today I finished 4th grade

Skrobo wrote:
Shut up now, your clogging my brain with question marks.

Great bike helmets - that I can get overseas mornish Unicycling 1 July 3rd 08 03:13 AM
Great bike helmets - that I can get overseas mornish Unicycling 4 July 3rd 08 01:42 AM
Shipping bike overseas ken Australia 8 October 14th 07 07:00 AM
Buying a bike overseas Timmy Australia 15 July 21st 04 07:19 AM
Buying a new bike over the net (overseas)? marc_9 Australia 3 December 11th 03 11:37 AM