Dr. Andy's falling apart

Old February 17th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Dr. Andy's falling apart

You can have too much specificity:
http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...,1785648.story

Old February 23rd 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 17, 3:02*pm, wrote:
You can have too much specificity:http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...2009feb16,0,17...

Yes, this from a guy who frowns on strength training and low rpm
workouts. While there may be evidence to support the theory that it
makes little difference to overall cycling performance, it's hard to
keep your fitness level up in a cast

Phil H
Old February 27th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andy Coggan

On Feb 22, 8:05*pm, wrote:
On Feb 17, 3:02*pm, wrote:

You can have too much specificity:http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...2009feb16,0,17...

Yes, this from a guy who frowns on strength training and low rpm
workouts. While there may be evidence to support the theory that it
makes little difference to overall cycling performance, it's hard to
keep your fitness level up in a cast

Phil H

Actually, I've been lifting weights in the off-season for most of my
life as a cyclist, i.e., starting in my teenage years. Indeed, there
have been times when I've spent more times lifting than riding (e.g.,
when completing my dissertation). Despite that, my bone mineral
density has been below normal for at least 20 y (probably due in part
to the fact that both of my parents were heavy smokers). More
importantly, the *rate of decline* in my bone mineral density has been
greater than average, despite the fact that I don't shy away from
weight training. The lesson here, then, is that 1) achieving a high
peak bone mineral density when young is important, and 2) one
shouldn't assume that just because they toss a few weights around that
they are immune to a decline in bone mineral density with age (which
really isn't all that surprising, actually, since bone responds much
more to shock/transient forces than it does to the more sustained
forces resulting from typical resistance training).

As for low cadence training, that doesn't even really belong in this
discussion, since the forces that result are really quite low.

Oh, and one other point: despite being a cyclist for 30 y, I've only
once broken a bone due to crashing, and the bone mineral density of
the bone that I broke (i.e., my femoral neck) actually isn't all that
low...

Andy Coggan
Old February 27th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message

Oh, and one other point: despite being a cyclist for 30 y, I've only
once broken a bone due to crashing, and the bone mineral density of
the bone that I broke (i.e., my femoral neck) actually isn't all that
low...

Nevertheless you have to take especial care. There must be some method to
increase bone density as you grow older or at least reduce the rate at which
bone density decreases.

Old February 27th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message

Oh, and one other point: despite being a cyclist for 30 y, I've only
once broken a bone due to crashing, and the bone mineral density of
the bone that I broke (i.e., my femoral neck) actually isn't all that
low...

Nevertheless you have to take especial care. There must be some method to
increase bone density as you grow older or at least reduce the rate at which
bone density decreases.

Shall we take as an example your head?

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old February 27th 09, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
K. Gringioni

On Feb 26, 7:01*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,
*"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message

Oh, and one other point: despite being a cyclist for 30 y, I've only
once broken a bone due to crashing, and the bone mineral density of
the bone that I broke (i.e., my femoral neck) actually isn't all that
low...

Nevertheless you have to take especial care. There must be some method to
increase bone density as you grow older or at least reduce the rate at which
bone density decreases.

* *Shall we take as an example your head?

Dumbass -

That bone density, if it were ever measured, would likely be
phenomenal.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old February 27th 09, 08:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
Nevertheless you have to take especial care. There must be some method
to increase bone density as you grow older or at least reduce the rate
at which bone density decreases.

Howard Kveck wrote:
Â* Â*Shall we take as an example your head?

K. Gringioni wrote:
That bone density, if it were ever measured, would likely be phenomenal.

Just as well, what with all those fragile carbon forks around.
Old March 2nd 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected][_2_]

K. Gringioni wrote:
That bone density, if it were ever measured, would likely be phenomenal..

Just as well, what with all those fragile carbon forks around.

the (anti) helmet trolls suddenly make sense too.
Old March 2nd 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

On Feb 17, 4:02*pm, wrote:
You can have too much specificity:http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...2009feb16,0,17...

Every time I see this thread title I think of Andy Pruitt. He likes to
tell a story about the time his leg prosthesis fell off during a
criterium crash. Bystanders were alarmed.
Old March 3rd 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
Bret wrote:

On Feb 17, 4:02*pm, wrote:
You can have too much
specificity:http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...ng16-2009feb16
,0,17...

Every time I see this thread title I think of Andy Pruitt. He likes to
tell a story about the time his leg prosthesis fell off during a
criterium crash. Bystanders were alarmed.

If had been lifting weights at the time of his accident, that might not
have happened.

Bike falling! 606 General 8 May 17th 06 09:43 PM
Q. What goes up and down for six hours before falling over? davek UK 3 March 13th 06 05:17 PM
Not falling over on ice innes Unicycling 8 January 1st 06 05:17 PM
SPDs and falling off! Keith Midgley UK 29 October 16th 05 07:57 PM
My patches are falling off Mister2u Techniques 22 October 5th 05 04:14 AM