frame materials

Old July 4th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default frame materials

ok here's one to revisit: ive been riding on an aluminum frame w/carbon
fork for three years 10K miles. the frame is now cracked and the more i
read the more i realize that steel frames have come a long way
recently. my previous bike was a very light benotto steel bike but it
was mushy and downright scary at 40mph. switching to the aluminum was a
real joy for me to hammer up the hills around here with efficiency and
glide downhill with no shakiness. now im looking for a new frame for
$500.
riding: commuting 3K hilly miles/ year on very bad potholed & rutted
streets. the only racing i do is against other commuters, cars and
possums...
-alan

Old July 4th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Warner

On 4 Jul 2006 01:07:55 -0700, greggery peccary wrote:

ok here's one to revisit: ive been riding on an aluminum frame w/carbon
fork for three years 10K miles. the frame is now cracked and the more i
read the more i realize that steel frames have come a long way
recently.

I know someone who's done over 200,000km on his steel frame. That one's
come a long way, at any rate.

Old July 4th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

greggery peccary wrote:
ok here's one to revisit: ive been riding on an aluminum frame w/carbon
fork for three years 10K miles. the frame is now cracked and the more i
read the more i realize that steel frames have come a long way
recently. my previous bike was a very light benotto steel bike but it
was mushy and downright scary at 40mph. switching to the aluminum was a
real joy for me to hammer up the hills around here with efficiency and
glide downhill with no shakiness. now im looking for a new frame for
$500.
riding: commuting 3K hilly miles/ year on very bad potholed & rutted
streets. the only racing i do is against other commuters, cars and
possums...
-alan

Nashbar has a touring frame (7005 aluminum, steel fork) on sale now for
$180. I've purchased 2 frames in the last few years -- a Cannondale
touring (aluminum, steel fork, new, LBS) for $450 and a Fuji (steel,
new, Ebay) for $90. The Cannondale is stiffer, which makes it feel more
secure at speed, but the Fuji rides well, too. My preference for the
large size frames I ride is aluminum, but it's not a huge preference.

FS: 53-56cm road frames: Habanero, Gios, LeMond Frank Marketplace 1 September 27th 10 04:36 PM
FS: New 54cm Habanero titanium road frame Frank Marketplace 0 February 27th 06 02:36 AM
Materials to cover frame with??? dannyfrankszzz UK 2 September 7th 05 10:54 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Economics of Custom Frame Building in non Ferrous Materials AndyMorris Techniques 29 August 29th 03 02:23 PM