A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 1st 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,929
Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 17:50:16 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

I see no value in trying to get a presto tube to work in a rim made for a
schraeder tube. Seems like just asking for trouble.


What kind of trouble would you anticipate? Installing a Presta stem
in an oversized hole is certainly a bad idea. A suitable shoulder
washer should provide adequate protection.

Most of my rims are drilled for Schrader, while most of my tubes have
Presta valves. Don't ask why I got myself into this situation. I
initially used rubber grommets as adapters (because I had some).
However those eventually crumbled or devulcanized from UV or chemical
exposure.

Another advantage to using an adapter is that I can stock only Presta
style tubes, and they will fit both Presta and Schrader drilled rims.
No need to stock tubes with both types of valves.

Other adapter designs are available:
https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+to+presta+rim+adapter&tbm=isch

I used a lathe to make a few that looked something like this:
http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=presta+stem+savers


--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Ads
  #12  
Old April 1st 18, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 7:24:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
x-posted from rec.bicycles.misc

This is the bike in question:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-A...-Bike/15711186

The tire size is 28" x 1 5/8" x 1 3/8" (37 - 622) 400 x 35c
The flat tube says 700 x 35/43c

Available to me at Walmart a

Bell Inner Tube Standard
27" Asos fits 700c 28 x 32c
Fits tire width 1 1/8 - 1 1/4

------or

Bell inner Tube Presta
700c ROAD ONLY
Fits tire width 25 - 32c


What do you all think of this as a solution. There has been some concern voiced that the flat tube in the tire now is not exactly the right fit but this solves my Schrader problem and this seems like it matches up better then the one at Walmart.

Co-op Cycles Schrader Tube - 700 x 23 - 25 / 28 - 32 / 35 - 43

https://www.rei.com/product/115112/c...25-28-32-35-43
  #13  
Old April 1st 18, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,865
Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On 4/1/2018 4:00 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 7:24:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
x-posted from rec.bicycles.misc

This is the bike in question:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-A...-Bike/15711186

The tire size is 28" x 1 5/8" x 1 3/8" (37 - 622) 400 x 35c
The flat tube says 700 x 35/43c

Available to me at Walmart a

Bell Inner Tube Standard
27" Asos fits 700c 28 x 32c
Fits tire width 1 1/8 - 1 1/4

------or

Bell inner Tube Presta
700c ROAD ONLY
Fits tire width 25 - 32c


What do you all think of this as a solution. There has been some concern voiced that the flat tube in the tire now is not exactly the right fit but this solves my Schrader problem and this seems like it matches up better then the one at Walmart.

Co-op Cycles Schrader Tube - 700 x 23 - 25 / 28 - 32 / 35 - 43

https://www.rei.com/product/115112/c...25-28-32-35-43


Choose the 700 35~43 SV size.
(no comment on brand or quality)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #14  
Old April 1st 18, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,388
Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 17:50:16 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

I see no value in trying to get a presto tube to work in a rim made for a
schraeder tube. Seems like just asking for trouble.


What kind of trouble would you anticipate? Installing a Presta stem
in an oversized hole is certainly a bad idea. A suitable shoulder
washer should provide adequate protection.

Most of my rims are drilled for Schrader, while most of my tubes have
Presta valves. Don't ask why I got myself into this situation. I
initially used rubber grommets as adapters (because I had some).
However those eventually crumbled or devulcanized from UV or chemical
exposure.

Another advantage to using an adapter is that I can stock only Presta
style tubes, and they will fit both Presta and Schrader drilled rims.
No need to stock tubes with both types of valves.

Other adapter designs are available:
https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+to+presta+rim+adapter&tbm=isch

I used a lathe to make a few that looked something like this:
http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=presta+stem+savers



Seems simpler to get the right tube. When my kid was living at home
stocking shraeders for his bike guaranteed he wouldn’t need to grab my
tubes. Didn’t seem like an overly complex solution.

--
duane
  #15  
Old April 2nd 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,346
Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On 4/1/2018 10:50 AM, Duane wrote:

snip

I see no value in trying to get a presto tube to work in a rim made for a
schraeder tube. Seems like just asking for trouble.


Sometimes there is value. On my road bike I bought a replacement rear
wheel and it was drilled for Schaeder but the front wheel is Presta. I
would prefer to only carry one tube.


  #16  
Old April 2nd 18, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 2:48:15 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Choose the 700 35~43 SV size.
(no comment on brand or quality)


When I go to the link I do not see an option to "just" choose the 35~43 SV size which is what it says on the flat tube I removed. Although the pic shows 35/43 the dimensions seem to indicate that one size fits all of these. They are about 10 miles away from me so I am going to call them up tomorrow but what do you think? When you look at the dimensions on the website it does not give me a choice to "just" choose 35/43.

Dimensions
700C x 23-25 MM: 700c x 23 - 25mm
700C x 28-32 MM: 700c x 28 - 32mm
700C x 35-43 MM: 700c x 35 - 43mm
  #18  
Old April 2nd 18, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,186
Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 10:04:45 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

Both of those tubes are are a little too skinny for that width of tire
to be ideal. They'll both work with the tire, once you have the valve
choice selected, but the tube will be stretched a little thin and more
vulnerable to more punctures.


One of my tires developed a slow leak that got less and less slow. It
manifested when I was at a convention in the hill towns, and I was
constrained to live on fruit cups from a snack vendor because I dared
not ride my bike into town to buy food. On the way home, I had to
stop at decreasing intervals to pump up the tire. When I got the tire
off, there was an oval of leaks around the valve stem.

My mechanic had assured me that a one-inch tube would stretch to fit
an inch-and-a-quarter tire, and it did -- except at the valve stem.
There, the tube was loose enough to rub against the tire.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
  #19  
Old April 2nd 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 17:50:16 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

wrote:
On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 7:59:56 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Either would work but if you can find a wider (700 35~45)
tube it would be better as it will not stretch as thinly to
fill your wider tire. At any rate be sure to find the cause
and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.


Thanks for the response.

At any rate be sure to find the cause and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.


Flat tube when pumped up was leaking out of a patch : ) I did not see any
damage to the tire inside or out where the patch occurred and the rim appeared smooth.

The schrader/ presta fix I was referring to is here. Do you have any opinion? TIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76AQ8RFvCX4&t=127s




Going with the concept that the simplest solution is usually the correct
one, I would say to buy the type of tire made for the type of rim that you
have. In this case a Schraeder valve. Why would you be limited to what is
available at Wal-Mart? A local bike shop sounds like your best bet and in
addition to finding you a tube, they should be able to answer your
questions.

I see no value in trying to get a presto tube to work in a rim made for a
schraeder tube. Seems like just asking for trouble.


I did it, for the same reason that the O.P wants to change from Presta
to Schraeder. I didn't have a pump to fit Schraeder valves.

What I did was turn up a couple of shouldered washers to fit the
larger Schraeder holes although it probably was over kill. A couple of
years so far with no problems.

--
Cheers,

John B.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube [email protected] General 2 April 1st 18 03:22 PM
700c tube in 650c tire Mike Jacoubowsky General 3 April 3rd 06 02:40 AM
Inner tube size on a 700c? heavy metal unicycling Unicycling 2 August 3rd 05 09:51 AM
Tube suggestions for 700c x 2.35 Big Apple steveyo Unicycling 6 June 2nd 05 03:52 AM
27" tube on 700c rim? [email protected] General 9 March 24th 05 12:54 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.