A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old April 13th 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,194
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-04-13 12:10, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 9:55:45 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-04-12 14:51, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/12/2018 3:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:


Get these:
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...-vl-chd11-base


Wait until Nashbar runs a 40% off deal. Hit the stickers with a hair
dryer or heat gun, and they peel right off.

I bought some cheap Vuelta disc wheels from my commuter bike
expecting them to die in a month or two -- but no, they're
really tough. The QR is ****, so throw that away, and for some
reason, the axle ends don't bite into my rear dropout, so the
wheel can shift, which is a little odd but probably peculiar to
my bike. So far, the wheel has been a great value. Standard
J-bend spokes and replaceable cartridge bearings, so it is
reparable.

I predict that those won't work for Joerg.


I think they would, since Jay used them on a tandem. How does one
find out when Nashbar has their 40% off days without signing up for
an email barrage?


No, no, no. I didn't use them on my tandem. I use them on my
commuter bike. The tandem was Sun Chinook rims with 36 hole Shimano
XT hubs and 14/15G spokes. Rear may have been 40 spokes. I sold the
bike and don't remember.


Ok, but that still means modern 14 gauge spokes can hold up. My thick
spokes are SS but from the 80's and maybe the steel back then wasn't as
good.


I get the Nashbar e-mails, so the only way you would know is by
checking periodically.

There are many higher-priced options out there, but all of them will
involve something other than your current 450g MA2 variant.



I don't care about weight. If they weighed 2lbs and be robust as a tank
I'd be ok with them.


... I think
H Plus Son makes some nice rims. You can buy them he
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=856
Velocity Dyads are robust. I'm sure Andrew could build you a bullet
proof road wheel that does not have eBike spokes. Spend some money
and get good hubs with a noisy angry-bee freehub.


I'll go with a ready-to-roll wheel set when my rims are up. A better
freehub would be nice though. So far I always had Shimano and Formula.
They are very quiet but don't last very long. One thing that limited my
selection on the road bike is the 126mm spacing but if I'd bend that up
to 130mm I should be able to use anything.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Ads
  #32  
Old April 19th 18, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,353
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

They are $10 on sale
Ride 27s.
  #33  
Old April 19th 18, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,194
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-04-19 14:17, Doug Landau wrote:
They are $10 on sale
Ride 27s.


Gatorskins? No way, they are blacklisted in my house.

The Vee Rubber 700c*25mm tires that just arrived cost $10.37. Ok, that's
37c more than yours.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #34  
Old May 4th 18, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,353
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution


With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped


I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem

  #35  
Old May 4th 18, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,194
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-05-04 10:52, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped


I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem


Sorry, but I find my life and health too valuable to run with that sort
of hazard mounted on the front rim. Again, you do not properly fix any
of the frayed strands with that. IOW an accident waiting to happen.
Well, it's your life, not mine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #36  
Old May 4th 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,142
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 12:15:29 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-05-04 10:52, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped


I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem


Sorry, but I find my life and health too valuable to run with that sort
of hazard mounted on the front rim. Again, you do not properly fix any
of the frayed strands with that. IOW an accident waiting to happen.
Well, it's your life, not mine.


Luckily, its a rear wheel in the picture. When is the last time you died due to a rear blow-out? I've blown an overheated tire on a tandem on a 15% descent and didn't die. At least I don't think I died -- but that's a question for the philosophy NG.

-- Jay Beattie.
  #37  
Old May 4th 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,247
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 5/4/2018 10:52 AM, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped


I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem


OMG, what a terribly ridiculous thing to do to save a few bucks.
  #38  
Old May 5th 18, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,194
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-05-04 14:50, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 12:15:29 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-05-04 10:52, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped

I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire
: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem


Sorry, but I find my life and health too valuable to run with that
sort of hazard mounted on the front rim. Again, you do not properly
fix any of the frayed strands with that. IOW an accident waiting to
happen. Well, it's your life, not mine.


Luckily, its a rear wheel in the picture. When is the last time you
died due to a rear blow-out?



I'd have to ask the social security office :-)


... I've blown an overheated tire on a
tandem on a 15% descent and didn't die. At least I don't think I
died -- but that's a question for the philosophy NG.


When the rear blew on my MTB last time it was so violent that it caused
serious damage. A chunk of the tire flew off and must have hit stuff in
the process. Smashed the charge controller circuit board, rear light
blown to smittereens, some bent metal, a hole in the canvas trunk. I had
to hoof it home for many miles with a bike that was unwilling to roll.

Anyhow, what good does such a "fix" do for the Gatorskins that developed
sidewall failure on my front wheel? Nothing. This sort of fix is totally
inadequate and dangerous.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #39  
Old May 5th 18, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,194
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 10:52 AM, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped


I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem


OMG, what a terribly ridiculous thing to do to save a few bucks.



It reminds me of the guys who used some sort of glorified soldering iron
to cut "new tread" into their car tires when they were bald. To save the
expense of having to buy new ones.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #40  
Old May 6th 18, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,353
Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 4:50:46 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 10:52 AM, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped

I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem


OMG, what a terribly ridiculous thing to do to save a few bucks.



It reminds me of the guys who used some sort of glorified soldering iron
to cut "new tread" into their car tires when they were bald. To save the
expense of having to buy new ones.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/


I think you missed the sarcasm
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desperate Dan Smith agrees to quote OED definition. David Lang UK 8 November 8th 15 03:52 PM
Desperate for Help dudewithasock Unicycling 38 December 1st 05 12:17 AM
Desperate for Help LikeableRodent Unicycling 0 November 27th 05 11:21 PM
a desperate escape from winter non-riding doldrums BB Mountain Biking 2 November 18th 04 01:56 AM
desperate- where can i buy odyssey gloves? ant Marketplace 3 July 1st 04 02:31 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.