New Tactical Cycling Maneuver

Old September 25th 20, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New Tactical Cycling Maneuver

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 11:00:04 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/25/2020 9:59 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/24/2020 10:50 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 21:13:26 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/24/2020 8:25 PM, AMuzi wrote:
To the larger issue:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/nkvd.jpg

... as if that's a daily occurrence in all other
prosperous westernized
countries that have reasonable gun control?

Given that the photo shows an official of some sort
executing two
individual I don't see that it involves gun control at
all. Unless, of
course, you don't think that officials should be armed.

I think Andrew's implication is that if (say) America
introduces universal background checks and restricts the
purchase of rapid fire assault-style weapons, that police
will begin executing civilians on the streets.

IOW, the implausible connection to gun control was not mine.

You mistake my position. The Second was clearly and
tersely written with a definitive and final period after
'shall not be infringed' by men whose memory of Lexington
was fresh.

Automatic weapons have been severely restricted since 1934.
One might argue that the National Firearms Act is an
unconstitutional abridgement but the courts are not
interested in that argument. So here we are, some 80+ years
later in a nation where firearm ownership is widespread,
voluminous and growing. Yesterday, virtually all of them
passed another day nicely oiled and cased without incident.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun...s-by-state/13/

which comes to just under 5 million firearms in Ohio.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

In the USA firearms kill about 100 people per day. Does that meet your "virtually all of them passed another day nicely oiled and cased without incident." criteria? I guess the number of people dying by firearms is only one tenth the number dying by Covid-19 each day. So its irrelevant. Trump and the Republicans think Covid-19 is a hoax and is going to go away very soon, so one tenth as many dying by firearms each day is surely immaterial.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm
Sum of DEATHS
YEAR Total
2014 33,508
2015 36,132
2016 38,551
2017 39,673
2018 39,615
Total 187,479

Funny thing is about 3000 fewer people died in the USA from vehicle accidents each year. I'd have guessed vehicle deaths were much higher than firearm deaths. But NO. Americans love to shoot people to death! Even more than they like to run them over. Of course keep in mind all these deaths by guns and cars are one tenth as many as the Covid-19 is killing each day.
Old September 25th 20, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 1:24:48 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/24/2020 1:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

If you actually search using Google to see what the laws actually are you cannot find it. This is because the police are immune to traffic laws. Not just running lights and stop signs but any other traffic law. This is nothing but another leftist tool to try and convince people that the police are subject to the same laws as everyone else and that it is cheating that they are doing to chase criminals.

Such bull****! The police are NOT immune to traffic laws. The laws
specify what they can and cannot do. That should be obvious to any
rational adult.

And Tom, maybe YOU cannot find it, but others can. As just one example:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.03

I ignore most of Tom's nonsense, but once in a while I feel compelled to
post corrections. Not that he'll learn...

So with your usual ignorant ideas of your own intelligence you found a law that said that cops or emergency vehicles must use caution when blowing stop lights. On your best day you make Joe Biden look absolutely brilliant.
Old September 25th 20, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 5:25:14 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/24/2020 5:53 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 12:39:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/24/2020 12:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/24/2020 10:37 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is
that not illegal?

Probably. Ring 911 to ask for more police?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lling-911.html

Similar to that incident: One friend of mine lives on a lot of wooded
rural acreage. He has "No Hunting" signs posted.

He got wind of a hunter on his property and walked out to confront the
guy. As he told me, the hunter's attitude was threatening. He pointed
his gun at my friend and asked "What are you going to do about it?"

My friend faced him down, saying something like "You're not going to
shoot me." But I think that takes extraordinary courage. I'd certainly
have called the cops.

And about the "Defund" movement: ISTM that many, if not most, of those
saying that are not saying police forces should be abolished, or that
criminals should be given free rein (although I suppose there are
radical libertarians). They are instead proposing that other agencies
handle encounters that don't require an armed man in uniform.

As to radical libertarians: I suppose people who frequently say "laws
don't work, legalize everything" must be very much in favor of
abolishing police forces. I'm not one of those people.

Are there "other agencies". I believe that the Military is
specifically forbidden to act as police in U.S. territories.

Perhaps a new agency could be formed, "The Agency of Armed Force",
(TAOAF). But would that be a State or Federal force?

Not all that simple. You're right about the formal armed
forces but the prior administration set up armed security
branches in every Department:

This from 2012:
https://www.theblaze.com/contributio...h-armed-agents

and 2016:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/prett...s-hank-berrien

those are from a quick web search. It's a perplexing trend
to those who wonder why the Education Department needs an
assault team.

To the larger issue:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/nkvd.jpg

Every one of these armed agents is required to qualify at a range once a year. And that qualification means hitting a 50 foot target with a hand held gun in rapid fire situations. So they are pretty damned good with a handgun.. I was never much one with a handgun other than an automatic, but with a rifle you should have seen me there with a Federal Agent. It was one of those ranges where at 100 feet to 100 yards, targets would pop out and you had to make sure you only hit qualified targets Someone with a weapon that wasn't a uniformed cop) and not the picture of the little old lady or the man with a walker. I hit bullseye on 100% of those and the Federal Agent gave up after he couldn't even hit the long targets before a new one appeared. That was 3 or 4 years ago.
Old September 25th 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

2014 32,744
2015 35,485
2016 37,806
2017 37,473
2018 36,560
total 180,068

That's a lot of deaths isn't it? And all of this is because you demand the right to be able to drive a motor vehicle. But I'm fairly certain you won't understand what I'm getting at.
Old September 26th 20, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On 9/24/2020 8:25 PM, AMuzi wrote:

To the larger issue:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/nkvd.jpg

... as if that's a daily occurrence in all other prosperous westernized
countries that have reasonable gun control?

Given that the photo shows an official of some sort executing two
individual I don't see that it involves gun control at all. Unless, of
course, you don't think that officials should be armed.

Meanwhile, just a few days ago and about three miles away, some dude
barged into a house in a very quiet neighborhood at 2 AM and blasted
away, shooting four adults and one four-year-old boy. The boy died in
his mother's arms.

Oddly, no "good guy with a gun" prevented the murder.

I suggest that the question is "Why". I did read that the police,
"stressed that it was not a random act of violence but rather a
targeted attack."

And I later read that "A suspect connected to a shooting that killed a
4-year-old Ohio boy and wounded four adults, including the boy's
mother, was arrested Monday night, authorities told Fox News.
and
Kimonie Bryant, 24, surrendered to the U.S. Marshals Service around 8
p.m., Struthers police Chief Tim Roddy said.

I do find it odd that one seldom hears calls for edged
weapons control or ban:

https://www.rfi.fr/en/france/2020092...-hebdo-offices

Or perhaps fertilizer.

Timothy McVeigh carried out the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing that
killed 168 people and injured more than 680 others and is considered
the deadliest act of terrorism in the United States prior to the
September 11 attacks and remains the deadliest act of domestic
terrorism in the history of the U.S., using fertilizer and diesel
fuel.

In contrast the 2017 Las Vegas shooting killed 60 and wounded 411.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 26th 20, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, and of those horrifying numbers:
an average of 11,843, annually, were classified as homicides
18,599 were classified as suicide
375 classified as "legal intervention"
https://gun-control.procon.org/us-gun-deaths-by-year/

I read that in 2018 there were 36,560 deaths.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 26th 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 9/24/2020 8:25 PM, AMuzi wrote:
To the larger issue:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/nkvd.jpg

... as if that's a daily occurrence in all other
prosperous westernized
countries that have reasonable gun control?

Given that the photo shows an official of some sort
executing two
individual I don't see that it involves gun control at
all. Unless, of
course, you don't think that officials should be armed.

I think Andrew's implication is that if (say) America
introduces universal background checks and restricts the
purchase of rapid fire assault-style weapons, that police
will begin executing civilians on the streets.

IOW, the implausible connection to gun control was not mine.

You mistake my position.

Perhaps, then, you should explain more clearly why you linked a photo of
a Nazi officer murdering captives.

The Second was clearly and tersely written
with a definitive and final period after 'shall not be infringed' by men
whose memory of Lexington was fresh.

I think it's obvious that the 2nd amendment has never been interpreted
as complete and total license to own any and all firearms - at least,
not by anyone with at least two functioning brain cells. The current
radical interpretation is rather new and is at odds with many decades of
interpretation and practice. It's even at odds with the NRA's historic
positions. It's a product of a campaign to line the pockets of LaPierre
and others like him.

Automatic weapons have been severely restricted since 1934. One might
argue that the National Firearms Act is an unconstitutional abridgement
but the courts are not interested in that argument.

Please. The courts saw through that argument long ago. They are not
interested for very sound reasons.

So here we are, some
80+ years later in a nation where firearm ownership is widespread,
voluminous and growing. Yesterday, virtually all of them passed another
day nicely oiled and cased without incident.

My guess is the majority of guns in the U.S. pass multiple years while
stored away. In other words, they are not necessary, except to comfort
certain paranoid individuals.

In particular, it's essentially never necessary to have a gun capable of
firing more than about five rounds in one minute. Given that rapid fire
guns have the proven detriment of facilitating horrible illegal
behavior, the balance of benefits vs. detriments is heavily against them.

(BTW, only a tiny fraction of red light running causes fatalities.
That's not justification for allowing red light running.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/25/2020 4:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 9:25:39 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/24/2020 12:00 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 8:37:23 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15.59, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/a-seat...s-head-during/

Why are the cops riding bikes at night with no lights? Is that not
illegal?
Why are you unaware that police are not subject to traffic regulations? Are you supposing that the police are going to pursue someone while staying within the speed limit?

I can see good reasons police are allowed to exceed the speed limit in a
pursuit situation. That doesn't justify cops violating any law they like
any time they like.

I've witnessed cops in patrol cars violating red lights apparently at
will - no speeding involved, no warning lights, no indication it was any
official business.

I'm pretty sympathetic to cops, but they shouldn't be using their
position to break the law for their own convenience.

This is why when you were young enough not to have bones broken someone should have slapped the holy **** out of you.

Gosh, Tom, you're trying to sound so manly and fearsome! But I wonder if
anyone here is impressed? I'm certainly not.

Exactly how did you know that a cop wasn't responding to something?

The two incidents I remember most clearly were at the same traffic
light, one that I'll admit tries my patience. It's badly timed,
unnecessarily long and with almost never any cross traffic.

In both cases, the cop came to a stop, then proceeded - one pretty
quickly, the other after maybe ten or fifteen seconds. In both cases,
there was absolutely no hurry. They motored on at a relaxed pace, and of
course their patrol cars were not lit up nor running sirens.

Cops not being subject to traffic laws is NOT cops doing anything they like without rules.

I can see why you failed to graduate high school.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/25/2020 7:11 PM, John B. wrote:

Timothy McVeigh carried out the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing that
killed 168 people and injured more than 680 others and is considered
the deadliest act of terrorism in the United States prior to the
September 11 attacks and remains the deadliest act of domestic
terrorism in the history of the U.S., using fertilizer and diesel
fuel.

In contrast the 2017 Las Vegas shooting killed 60 and wounded 411.

Interesting point about the Oklahoma City bombing. Yes, 168 dead is a
lot for one criminal act.

But in five days, you'd exceed that with U.S. gun homicides. Is that
really supposed to make those OK?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

No, I am quite sure that you are wrong. At the time of writing I'm
sure that the 2'nd amendment meant just exactly what it said that
possession of firearms would not be curtailed. It didn't specify what
sort of, or, type of firearms , probably as there weren't many types
available.

Remember that in the very early period the battles apparently were
fought with privately owned firearms, the Lexington "battle" for
example, was fought in April of 1775 and the first official U.S.
troops were raised in July of the same year. And one of the major
reasons for making an ally of France was the France was a source of
firearms. "Estimates suggest that at the colonists’ October 1777
victory at Saratoga, a turning point in the war, 90 percent of all
American troops carried French arms, and they were completely
dependent on French gunpowder."

[...]

You seem to be arguing that rapid fire guns are not required... which
was recognized by the U.S. government in 1934 when it applied a very
large tax on the ownership of rapid fire arms. $200, I believe it was,
equal to nearly $4,000 today.