Campy hubs and parts between 2003 Proton and 2002 Eurus parts

Old September 24th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

Default Campy hubs and parts between 2003 Proton and 2002 Eurus parts

I have a Eurus I put in service in the late summer of 2002, and
sometime before the 3 year warranty ran out, I could not find a local
dealer to repair the bearings that seemed to have worn out
prematurely. I also got a 2003 Proton (I think they are the same hub
except for the lighter cassette carrier in the Eurus, which are
considered “Record Class” hubs. From all of the tech documents I could
find, the hubs seem to be identical exceot for materials upgrades, as
in the cassette carrier.

So the question is whether I can borrow parts from my Proton hub, or
buy a hub from ebay to get the parts without having to pay $10,000 by
the time I finish paying for the individual components. Some time back
in 2004 I think, there was a store with a huge warehouse and online
ordering forms for just about every part you can think of. When it got
down to identifying the parts I needed, the warehouse was lost to a
huge fire and I am not even sureI remember which place had this
happen. It might have been Branford, but anyway I lost track of the
“project” and forgot about it for a while. I would like to get the
wheel back in use because the Campy wheels (all of mine anyway).

So the question in general is which parts are compatible with others?
Can I buy a certain model from a certain era, or even now that will
give me an entire hub for spare parts?

I love the G3 wheels. They are the best design I have ever used in
aluminum rims. I have not tried any of the models with aluminum
spokes, but I suspect unless I here anything in non-trivial negative
facts I would like to buy a set of one of the several “ultimate”
models with the aluminum spokes. The only thing I do not care for is
the reduced depth for the front, but I am so gentle on front wheels
that I have more spares than I can count. I think I have 5 wheels in
between 30 to 41mm aluminum rims and not a single one has every been
out of true or needed any maintenance at all.

What advice can I hear that will help me to put the wheel back in
service without paying more for parts than an entire new hub?

TIA
Old September 25th 08, 10:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

If all you need is bearing replacement, any competent bike shop can do
this. Better yet, you can do it yourself for about 2 dollars worth of
bearings and grease and 15 minutes per wheel - use Lennard Zinn's book
or Parktool website along with exploded pparts diagram from Campy
website (or manual which came with the wheels if you still have it).
If you need small hub parts other than just bearing replacement, you
can find the exact part #'s on the Campy website going well back into
the early 1990's. Good Campy small parts sources are Oschner (http://
www.ochsnerusa-store.com/index.php) and Branford Bike, which is back
in business after moving and having a fire. Another alternative if you
need parts and don't want to do the work yourself is to find a Campy-
certified shop (check their website) or contact Peter Chisholm
(Vecchio's Bicicleterria in Boulder) whio is a frequent and generous
contributor to this NG.
No reason with routine maintenance that you can't get multiple tens of
thousabds of miles out of these wheels.

Good riding............Lou D'Amelio
Old September 25th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Sep 24, 3:42*pm, Chris M wrote:
[...]

Bearings are 5/32 balls in carriers and the cones are the same for
these wheels, front or back. We have the cones..$24 each. Just pop the
balls out and replace with 5/32 balls. 15 per side, front or rear. As
long as the axle is aluminum, all the stuff is compatible from about
1999 till today.
Old September 25th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Sep 25, 3:51*am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the pitch Lou-appreciate it.

FS: parts box blowout, DA Track hubs, saddles, posts, derailleurs, ETC ETC [email protected] Marketplace 0 May 31st 06 08:22 PM
Eurus first US shipped version (2002 mid year) rear hub rebuild Chris M Techniques 2 February 17th 06 02:48 PM
Campy Proton, Neutron, Eurus or none of the above? [email protected] Techniques 8 September 28th 05 11:03 PM
Campag Parts (Proton Spokes) Simonb UK 4 April 15th 05 02:37 PM
FS: DA 50th Anniv Parts - Crank, Hubs, Pedals Callahan Marketplace 1 October 9th 03 01:29 PM