Midracers are BS hype

Old January 20th 05, 10:33 PM
RealDeal

Default Midracers are BS hype

What a FOCKING joke. Now someone is calling dual 24" wheel bents "midracers".
Who was the wahoo that came up with that friggin BS name? Midracers my ass.
There is nothing race worthy about anything called midracer.

It is bad enough that some marketing clown from Killer B fatass world came
up with the name highracer to sell overpriced bikes. As if any dual high
wheeler bent is setting speed records. Get FOCKING real. The only real racers
are LOWRACERS.

Stop the baloney marketing BS right now and WAKE UP. High or mid does not
cut it and never will be fast at an HPV race.

The only bents worthy of racing are the NoComs, Cobras, RazzFazzs, Jesters
and Barons. Every other bent made is for slow bike trail riding not racing.

You want to race get the real deal. A LOWRACER.

RealDeal

Old January 21st 05, 05:18 AM
rocketman

I tend to agree that lowracers should be faster than highracers in HPV track
events; but I have no numerical proof.

Got numbers to back up these claims? Race results? Side-by-side time
trials?

"RealDeal" wrote in message

[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups
=---

Old January 21st 05, 07:17 AM
Mark Leuck

"rocketman" wrote in message
I tend to agree that lowracers should be faster than highracers in HPV

track
events; but I have no numerical proof.

Got numbers to back up these claims? Race results? Side-by-side time
trials?

I have a lowracer but I should think both should be even assuming both
riders are reclined at the same agnele, its all about wind resistance anyway

Old January 21st 05, 11:14 AM
Peter Clinch

RealDeal wrote:

It is bad enough that some marketing clown from Killer B fatass world came
up with the name highracer to sell overpriced bikes. As if any dual high
wheeler bent is setting speed records. Get FOCKING real. The only real racers
are LOWRACERS.

So what if you fancy competing in a class that outlaws lowracers (such
do exist IIRC, at least in the BHPC), perhaps because you want a bike
you feel happier on in traffic and can't afford two?

You want to race get the real deal. A LOWRACER.

"You" want whatever floats your boat, for whatever reason. Which may or
may not be a lowracer.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old January 22nd 05, 12:22 AM
Tom Sherman

rocketman wrote:

"RealDeal" wrote in message

[...]

I believe that "RealDeal" has a handful of "Monkey Poo".

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 22nd 05, 12:46 AM
BikingBill

Here's an interesting result on this....

In 1997 I was participating in numerous racing events ... and at times
I had a Festina Extra Low Racer and a Zox 26 (Z-Frame).

The Zox 26 was consistantly faster. My guess is that the frontal area
was about the same, even with the larger wheels ... but rolling
resistance was lower on the ZOX.

Me on the Festina at the San Diego Streamliner Series:

http://zipproof.com/servlet/Zip/View...b4b7825019fa6e

And on the ZOX 26 Z-Frame:

http://zipproof.com/servlet/Zip/View...c530dc4acbbb46

(Both of this at the San Diego Velodrome).

The Bacchetta Strada is close to the ZOX's speed, in fact I get better
trip times mainly from it's better climbing characteristics (for me).
It needs a tailbox though ;-)

BikingBill

P.S. I have a Zox 26 Z-Frame I'm thinking of selling.

Old January 22nd 05, 01:31 AM
Tom Sherman

BikingBill wrote:

Here's an interesting result on this....

In 1997 I was participating in numerous racing events ... and at times
I had a Festina Extra Low Racer and a Zox 26 (Z-Frame).

The Zox 26 was consistantly faster. My guess is that the frontal area
was about the same, even with the larger wheels ... but rolling
resistance was lower on the ZOX.

Me on the Festina at the San Diego Streamliner Series:

http://zipproof.com/servlet/Zip/View...b4b7825019fa6e

And on the ZOX 26 Z-Frame:

http://zipproof.com/servlet/Zip/View...c530dc4acbbb46

(Both of this at the San Diego Velodrome).

Bill,

What tires were on the Festina - was it the older ISO 390-mm/ISO 451-mm,
the newer dual ISO 406-mm version, or something else?

The Bacchetta Strada is close to the ZOX's speed, in fact I get better
trip times mainly from it's better climbing characteristics (for me).
It needs a tailbox though ;-)

Here is a website that covers making a tailbox from coroplast:
http://www.ihpva.org/Builders/WVolk/.

[I really should not be a smartass here, since "Wild Bill" is a rather
large man. ]

Will the Strada tailbox be larger than the average student apartment?

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 22nd 05, 08:23 AM
BikingBill

Funny thing is, I now construct with Coroplast using a different
technique than I did previously. Gone are the rivets, replaced by Zip
Ties. Still like the Foam Tape for getting it set.

Most likely the Strada will get a 'resonable' sized tailbox ... I have
the Bacchetta "bag adaptor" so I will build a "rackless" box that
attaches to that. Quick removal being vital for the bike's role as a
Amtrak commuter.

As to the Festina ... it had the 390/451 combo ... but even with the
discs ... the Zox was over 1mph faster on the track.

I did a 31:05 20km at Fiesta Island on the Zox 26 in '98. My best time
since 1978. Amazing.

I have to say this ... the Bacchetta Strada IS the bike I was trying to
build back in '97. I even had the kinesis fork for a time. I just
didn't want to have a top idler ...

In retrospect the original dual 26" design for Heavy Metal would have
been better ... as proven by the very fine handling of the Strada.

One hint ... the fastening allen bolts on the seat clamp are VERY hard
to get to, and in many cases they (by being loose) are the cause of any
seat slipping. With a clean frame, and these bolts tight ... I cannot
slip the seat ... even on double-diget grades.

How good of a climber is the Strada? I go up the same hills that I did
in a 32/34 combo on the Zox with a 32/28 combo. That is shocking.

Bill

Old January 22nd 05, 06:39 PM
Freewheeling

Actually, put a hill in front of a "lowracer" and it's a "lowdragger."
(This assessment is simply an in kind reponse to an incoherent advocacy
post. Not to be taken seriouly by anyone genuinely interested in the
camparison ol low vs high racers, or anything in between.

--
--Scott

Old January 22nd 05, 11:49 PM
RealDeal

Put two 24" wheels on a recumbent and its a SLOWracer on anything including hills.

Midracer or highracer are both SLOWRACERS and not worthy of being considered a race bike of any kind. They are both stick poles on big wheels marketed to fat and slow benters with lots of disposable income. Tack the name "racer" on a slow bike design and some joker will buy it .

Lowracers are design for racing and high stick pole bents are not. Anything higher than a lowracer is a slow piece of crap.

Real Deal