Tufo Tires

Old October 22nd 05, 07:42 PM
Paul Cassel

Default Tufo Tires

BCasinger wrote:
I had a set of the Prestige 'cross tires on my bike. The first thing
that happened was that the front tire rolled off the rim when I was in
a turn. That hurt. Could have been my mistake during installation,
don't know but that never happened again. I did get a flat on both
tires at different times, and added sealant which worked, except that
the valve stems over time became clogged so it was hard to air them up.
I had a hard time getting the stems unscrewed to add air. I finally
did get a flat that wouldn't seal, and I decided to toss the TUFOs.
Thing is, they were expensive, gave me just as much trouble as any
other tires I run, and didn't feel any better on the trail.

Yeah, the LBS has them for over $80 a pop. Then there is the flat kit
and the tape and the other things you must buy like sealant. So I'd need
three of them, the kit, the sealant and probably special somethings or
others too. Heck, it makes my Conti 4000's look cheap by compare.

I'll stick to convention this round. Thanks.
Old October 23rd 05, 04:05 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:40:43 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

so why he'd tolerate a bike with a slow
tire is beyond me. He's a TT kinda guy too.

I don't think it's easy to perceive which tire is slow and which is
fast -- it takes serious testing.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 23rd 05, 01:22 PM
Paul Cassel

wrote:

so why he'd tolerate a bike with a slow
tire is beyond me. He's a TT kinda guy too.

I don't think it's easy to perceive which tire is slow and which is
fast -- it takes serious testing.

Read above where one poster said he kept checking to see if he had a
dragging brake. That's obvious.

I sometimes have thought that myself, but it's due to my going slow for
a lot of effort which in turn came from being a rather poor cyclist.
Old October 23rd 05, 01:29 PM
Paul Cassel

wrote:
psycholist wrote:

Some will say you can just use the Tufo
sealant in the tires and you won't have anything to worry about. That junk
can screw up the inside of the valve stem and make it nearly impossible to
pump up your tire.

Tufo sealant will not fix tires that have a damaged casing because
there's nothing to support the film of sealant and it just blows out of
the tire and starts leaking again. OTOH, it will fix punctures of the
type you get from thorns or slivers of glass or slow leaks of unknown
origin that can be difficult to locate without ripping open half the
tire.

It doesn't screw up the inside of your valve stem or make it nearly
impossible to pump up your tire. I guess it _could_ do that, but I
don't take any special precautions and in the numerous times I have
used it I have never had a problem.

I don't have any evidence that it can be used to prevent flats although
it seems possible it could. Because of the way it is packaged I can't
think of a way to use it to repair a flat on the road, either.
Nevertheless, I think it is a preferable try-it-first alternative to
the needle and thread procedure for fixing tubulars.

Well, it's moot. I've ordered the Gatorskins from Performance. They were
on sale at $27 and then I got a 20% coupon on top of that. Thus my net
price is about $22 / tire which turned out ok. I even got a free upgrade
to 2 day shipping.

For others who may wish this or other purchases, the 20% coupon code is:
6001239

I managed to pump up my tires yesterday despite the fouled stem and went
for a pleasent 2.5 hr ride. That is pleasent except for my constant fear
of flats which did subtract from the joy. I don't relish either walking
home or having to call someone to pick me up.

I hope the Gatorskins are fairly easy to on and off. If so, it'll add a
lot to my riding pleasure. While I was there, I ordered my winter riding
stuff - another $150 down the tubes. Owell at least it too was 20% off.