Crank Bros. Pedal Compatibility

Old October 17th 05, 08:57 PM
tlarwa

Default Crank Bros. Pedal Compatibility

Do Crank Bros. road (Quattro) and mountain (eggbeaters or Candy) pedals use
the same cleats? I've never used them. What I'm looking for is a pedal
brand that is available in both road and mountain versions with
interchangable cleats. I want to be able to ride my 'cross/winter bike with
my road shoes w/o changing pedals. I currently ride Looks on my road bike
and Time Aliums on my 'cross bike. It seems like the Crank Bros. system may
be the way to go (maybe the ONLY way??).

Old October 17th 05, 09:03 PM
tlarwa

BTW, my intent would be to put Quattros on my road bike and eggbeaters or
Candys on my 'cross bike...

Old October 17th 05, 09:38 PM
amakyonin

I believe that the Quattro and classic cleats are all interchangeable.
The added plastic portion on the Quattro cleat shouldn't interfere with
any of the existing EB designs. It's basically there to provide
SPD-style support on the sides and to prevent chewing up carbon fiber
soles. IMHO they should have designed it with additional Look
compatible mounting holes or at least provide an alternate three bolt
cleat. This would attract more market share from roadies who are
curious to try but don't have SPD compatible shoes and don't want to
use adapter plates.

While I have no experience with the Quattro's, I do use Candies on one
bike and they can be a bit frustrating because the platform sometimes
gets in the way when clipping in (though they are useful in the
winter). The Quattro's look improved in this regard but you may still
be unhappy with the situation especially if you develop a preference
for plain eggbeaters on the cross bike. You may want to consider using
the Look 4x4s on the road bike to get the improved bearings like the
Quattro without the bother of the platform. You can buy the Quattro
cleats separately for your road shoes. You could also look for the
older eggbeater road cleats that have the rubber pontoons needed for
lateral stability. The new design has lateral adjustability if you need
it, though.

Old October 17th 05, 09:44 PM
amakyonin

Okay, I should have looked before I sent the previous message.

It looks like the Crank Brothers website shows the compatability for
all their cleats. The Quattro and road cleats work with everything
except the Mallet series. The standard classic cleat works with
everything.

They do offer a separate three bolt adapter to I rescind my previous
critique.

Old October 18th 05, 03:42 AM
Alan Hoyle

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:57:04 GMT, tlarwa wrote:
Do Crank Bros. road (Quattro) and mountain (eggbeaters or Candy) pedals use
the same cleats? I've never used them. What I'm looking for is a pedal
brand that is available in both road and mountain versions with
interchangable cleats. I want to be able to ride my 'cross/winter bike with
my road shoes w/o changing pedals. I currently ride Looks on my road bike
and Time Aliums on my 'cross bike. It seems like the Crank Bros. system may
be the way to go (maybe the ONLY way??).

Why not get a set of Time ATAC pedals for your 'cross/winter bike? If
your road shoes are compatible with SPD-style cleats (which is what
you'll need for the Crank Bros cleats anyway), that would be a lot
cheaper than replacing all of your pedals with a different system.

Time ATAC XE $100 (more expensive than the Aliums, but better IME)

Crank Bros Quattro ~$150 + Crank Bros Eggbeater C $60 (cheapest model)

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Old October 21st 05, 11:09 PM
Llatikcuf

tlarwa wrote:
Do Crank Bros. road (Quattro) and mountain (eggbeaters or Candy) pedals use
the same cleats? I've never used them. What I'm looking for is a pedal
brand that is available in both road and mountain versions with
interchangable cleats. I want to be able to ride my 'cross/winter bike with
my road shoes w/o changing pedals. I currently ride Looks on my road bike
and Time Aliums on my 'cross bike. It seems like the Crank Bros. system may
be the way to go (maybe the ONLY way??).

I use the Candys on both my MTB and road bike. Work well on both and
weigh less than the Quattro. (And I'm just too damn cheap to get two
pairs of shoes.)

-Nate

Old October 22nd 05, 05:11 AM
tlarwa

What's the benefit of the Quattro over the Candy then? Or is it just a
marketing position?
"Llatikcuf" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 24th 05, 08:11 AM
Llatikcuf

Don't know!
Candy stainless is 294g/pr, ti 252g/pr, 4ti 198gm/pr.
Quattro stainless is 312g/pr, ti 270g/pr, 4ti 220gm/pr.

So Candy is 18-22gm lighter on average. Eggbeaters are even lighter
than that.

-nate

Old October 24th 05, 06:00 PM
amakyonin

The platform body of the Quattro appears to be designed for easier
entry. The horizontal segments along the front and back are thinner
than on the Candies. This allows you to slide in from the rear without
catching the cleat on the platform. The Candy has a fair amount of
sticktion in the platform pivots and it doesn't spin freely. If you
ride on it unclipped, it can get in a "bad" position that's more
challenging to clip back into. This may be improved in the Quattro.

Old October 25th 05, 01:35 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

ALL Crank Bros. pedals (EB's, Candy, Quatro, Mallet, and any others they
may have) are all the same pedal with different "shells" around them. Or
in the case of the EggBeaters, no shell.

So yes. The same cleat should fit all.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"