Brake block missing

Old February 19th 06, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Brake block missing

As noted in my Mad Jack's RR, I lost a brake block.

This came about because I changed the blocks during the week (fitted
KoolStop Salmons) and managed to lose the retaining screw which
locates against the rear of the block. I thought it would be OK, as
the back of the shoe points upwards slightly and the block enters it
from the back.

Obviously this is not the case, but I can't see the mechanism to cause
the block to come out - the action of braking will cause the block to
go further/harder into the shoe.

Any ideas?

Tim
Old February 19th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Any ideas?

Magpies probably.

Could it be all the vibrations from the road surface? I have to
check/replace the bolts holing the rear rack on as they have a habit of
working loose.
Old February 19th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , Tim Hall
') wrote:

As noted in my Mad Jack's RR, I lost a brake block.

This came about because I changed the blocks during the week (fitted
KoolStop Salmons) and managed to lose the retaining screw which
locates against the rear of the block. I thought it would be OK, as
the back of the shoe points upwards slightly and the block enters it
from the back.

Obviously this is not the case, but I can't see the mechanism to cause
the block to come out - the action of braking will cause the block to
go further/harder into the shoe.

Any ideas?

Wheeling the bike even slightly backwards with the brake partially
applied - perhaps as you were getting on and off trains? Only needs a
couple of inches of movement.

;; L'etat c'est moi -- Louis XVI
;; I... we... the Government -- Tony Blair
Old February 19th 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tim Hall wrote:
As noted in my Mad Jack's RR, I lost a brake block.

This came about because I changed the blocks during the week (fitted
KoolStop Salmons) and managed to lose the retaining screw which
locates against the rear of the block. I thought it would be OK, as
the back of the shoe points upwards slightly and the block enters it
from the back.

Obviously this is not the case, but I can't see the mechanism to cause
the block to come out - the action of braking will cause the block to
go further/harder into the shoe.

Do you not brake when reversing!? ;-)

Slightly more seriously, how about when holding the brake on when stopped
on a hill? Or: Jobst Brand's excuse for using the cheapo Continental
model is that cartridge pads can dislodge when changing a wheel, although
I don't see how myself.

~PB

Old February 19th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:17:44 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Tim Hall wrote:
As noted in my Mad Jack's RR, I lost a brake block.

This came about because I changed the blocks during the week (fitted
KoolStop Salmons) and managed to lose the retaining screw which
locates against the rear of the block. I thought it would be OK, as
the back of the shoe points upwards slightly and the block enters it
from the back.

Obviously this is not the case, but I can't see the mechanism to cause
the block to come out - the action of braking will cause the block to
go further/harder into the shoe.

Do you not brake when reversing!? ;-)

Slightly more seriously, how about when holding the brake on when stopped
on a hill?

So far this seems the most likely, although I can't confirm, or
otherwise, whether I did actually hold at a junction or similar.

The good news is I've found the screw, lurking on the garage floor.

Tim
Old February 20th 06, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tim Hall wrote:
As noted in my Mad Jack's RR, I lost a brake block.

This came about because I changed the blocks during the week (fitted
KoolStop Salmons) and managed to lose the retaining screw which
locates against the rear of the block. I thought it would be OK, as
the back of the shoe points upwards slightly and the block enters it
from the back.

Obviously this is not the case, but I can't see the mechanism to cause
the block to come out - the action of braking will cause the block to
go further/harder into the shoe.

Stopped on an upward slope and used the front brake?

But my first guess would be general vibration. If your brakes are like
mine, the block is quite a tight fit into the shoe, which suggests that
the block material suffers a shear force which tends to push it back out
again, particularly with vibration.

R.

Pedersen self energizing brakes. Dan Burkhart Techniques 70 June 12th 05 10:25 PM
Brake question: Fuego Unicycling 8 August 18th 04 06:25 PM
BRAKE on helmets Just zis Guy, you know? UK 62 April 27th 04 09:48 AM
Tightening brake cables Pete Biggs UK 12 September 4th 03 08:50 AM
*Edit Me* - New FAQ addition on brake squeal. ant Techniques 1 July 23rd 03 06:52 AM