Basketball Unicycle Rules?

Old May 26th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Basketball Unicycle Rules?

Hey folks,
I search but did not find an exact answer to my question so here it
is:
I've been practicing dribbling the ball while on my Coker and wondered
what it would be like to play b-ball with other unicyclists.
I assume the unicyclists playing b-ball must idle and standstill very
well.
They would also use small 20in uni so they can scoop the ball when
someone drops it. However, I've also thought of using different type
unicycles to mimic real basketball playbooks.
Example:
20in unicycles, can pick up dropped b-ball = "short guards"
Cokers or giraffe = "centers"
trials uni with big tires = "forwards, who can jump"

-Is there an official uni basketball rule?
-Are you allowed to pickup the ball on ground while on uni? Or do you
need to drop the ball if your feet touches the ground?
-Is it a 'foul' if a unicyclist bumps another?
-Do you free-throw while on the uni?

I would also like feedbacks from unicyclist who actually played
basketball on uni. Thanks in advance!

--
leadpan

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751

Old May 26th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The rules are in the Rulebook:
http://www.unicycling.com/iuf/rules/
(basketball is near the back)

No giraffes allowed, though I don't recall if it actually says that.
But I'm pretty sure it does not talk about wheel size. The
world-champion Perto Rico All Stars use a mix of 24" and 20" wheels,
based on preference of riders. Years ago, it was almost all 24".
http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/235303/1/9145827

Trials unicycles generally wouldn't be allowed in a game played on a
nice, wooden gym floor like the one above. If you're outside it won't
matter. Anyone can pick up the ball if they can pick up the ball. The
IUF basketball rules are not very comprehensive. Basically it's
international basketball rules (not NBA) with a few variations as
mentioned. But you may have questions after reading that.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...) leo Unicycling 248 March 24th 07 04:30 PM
Unicycle Song dogbowl Unicycling 18 November 2nd 06 12:57 PM
pogo unicycle and unicycle pogo! giraffe Unicycling 10 February 11th 06 05:42 PM
Generous Gift of a Unicycle Tmornstar Unicycling 2 May 5th 05 02:18 PM
surfing on a unicycle, tips and tricks... paulie pavlic Unicycling 10 November 15th 03 10:38 PM