Will this old 3-speed stick shifter work with a modern hub?

Old October 21st 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

Default Will this old 3-speed stick shifter work with a modern hub?

Hi All,

I've been planning to put a 3-speed hub on the wife's cruiser. I'd
like to use an old-style stick shifter, if possible. Something like
this:

http://tinyurl.com/stickshifter

Would these old shifters work with a modern 3-speed hub, S-A or even
Shimano? The packaging on this one says "fits most three speed gears"
but I wonder if the shifting mechanism has changed much on those
hubs.

Regards,
Anthony

Old October 22nd 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 21, 5:09*pm, Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:
Hi All,

I've been planning to put a 3-speed hub on the wife's cruiser. I'd
like to use an old-style stick shifter, if possible. Something like
this:

http://tinyurl.com/stickshifter

Would these old shifters work with a modern 3-speed hub, S-A or even
Shimano? The packaging on this one says "fits most three speed gears"
but I wonder if the shifting mechanism has changed much on those
hubs.

Cable pull on the new alloy shell S30s is same as the old SA hubs. No
maintenance. Should work fine. Old and new Shimano hubs use different
pull and cables.