Need a new bike..hybrid?

Old July 19th 04, 07:35 AM
Oscar

Default Need a new bike..hybrid?

I currently bought a Raleigh C30...my first bike...in 2 months, Hhave
used it a lot in the streets of San Francisco..commute a few times to
work, and some longer Rec rides through the city on weekends...i would
say I commute 15 miles a week, and 1 big trip per month around 20-30
miles, mostly if not all on paved roads....My bike is heavy and
slow...my wife just bought a 2005 Trek 7000 and really likes it...she
was moving much more freely then me, faster...

I have been looking at the following bikes

Trek 7200, 7300
Novara Big Buzz
Kona Dr Drew

The last two were reccomended and each are in the $800-$1000 range...I
would rather go for something around $500....tops. But willing to
wait till i can afford the right bike..

Maybe I need a road bike and this hybrid thing is not for me..I think
its more comfortbale with the straight handle bar...I know you can
switch out a road bike with that handlebar, I just need someone to
tell me what I need, what fits my budget and riding style and
something taht will last a long time, and allow me to grow with it...I
dont want to make the same mistake and jump inot the first bike that
felt good...but at least I am riding...Thanks for your help
Old July 19th 04, 09:48 PM
Ray

"Oscar" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thank you. I was just looking at the C 30. I live on a hill and have miles
of dirt roads up and down the mountains to ride on. I thought the C 30 might
be right for me but I was still looking for info from an owner before I
settled on it. You've given me plenty of food for thought. Back to the
drawing board.
Ray

Old July 20th 04, 01:38 AM
Bob Anderson

On 18 Jul 2004 23:35:31 -0700, (Oscar) wrote:

my wife just bought a 2005 Trek

Are the 2005 models out alreaday?

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon
Old July 20th 04, 02:02 AM
Fx199

I have been looking at the following bikes

Trek 7200, 7300
Novara Big Buzz
Kona Dr Drew

How much lighter are they than the Raleigh?
I bought one (raleigh comfort type bike)for my mother and was more impressed
with it than I thought I would be.
Just ride it and work up your engine
Old July 20th 04, 02:10 AM
Bernie

Oscar wrote:

I currently bought a Raleigh C30...my first bike...in 2 months, Hhave
used it a lot in the streets of San Francisco..commute a few times to
work, and some longer Rec rides through the city on weekends...i would
say I commute 15 miles a week, and 1 big trip per month around 20-30
miles, mostly if not all on paved roads....My bike is heavy and
slow...my wife just bought a 2005 Trek 7000 and really likes it...she
was moving much more freely then me, faster...

I have been looking at the following bikes

Trek 7200, 7300
Novara Big Buzz
Kona Dr Drew

You might like the Jamis Coda. I test rode one this spring. It's a
pretty nice bike to ride. Real fun on city streets - rode in downtown
Vancouver BC traffic. Fast and light. The only suspension is the
seatpost, which is more than enough imo.
The shop had it listed at about $850 CAD.
Here's some reviews:
http://www.roadbikereview.com/2002,H...x.aspx#reviews
FWIW, I did not buy it. Bought a Fuji Touring for my own personal
reasons. I do like the Coda tho.
Bernie

Old July 20th 04, 03:08 AM
lewdvig

"Bernie" wrote in message
Oscar wrote:

I currently bought a Raleigh C30...my first bike...in 2 months, Hhave
used it a lot in the streets of San Francisco..commute a few times to
work, and some longer Rec rides through the city on weekends...i would
say I commute 15 miles a week, and 1 big trip per month around 20-30
miles, mostly if not all on paved roads....My bike is heavy and
slow...my wife just bought a 2005 Trek 7000 and really likes it...she
was moving much more freely then me, faster...

I have been looking at the following bikes

Trek 7200, 7300
Novara Big Buzz
Kona Dr Drew

I noticed you mentioned getting a cross bike. I recently picked up a
Specialized S-Works CX cyclocross bike and it has since replaced my MTB and
road bike. It is as fast as my road bike, but as durable as my MTB. These
things can be had quite cheap as teh CX fad has faded away.

Old July 20th 04, 05:09 AM
Oscar

Well I think when I bought the C30, I wasnt educated enough...I staed
what I wnted, and they gave it to me...I also didnt try out enough
bikes...but for the $220 I paid, its a decent bike, a smooth ride, and
might be what you want..

I have been riding through mostly city streets up and down hills in
San Francisco (not because I want to, because I HAVE TO )....so the
Hyrbid style I like, but want something quicker, lighter and well
thats it...My wife just bought the Trek 7000 2005 Model...she was
blowing by me..my bike is heavier and the tires are fatter...so I
might just switch my tires for now...

But there are some other good raleighs, the C30 and C40 are entry
level...I dont need the Off road part....let me know if you have any
other specific Questions...
Old July 20th 04, 01:02 PM
Peter Cole

"Oscar" wrote in message
om...

I have been riding through mostly city streets up and down hills in
San Francisco (not because I want to, because I HAVE TO )....so the
Hyrbid style I like, but want something quicker, lighter and well
thats it...My wife just bought the Trek 7000 2005 Model...she was
blowing by me..my bike is heavier and the tires are fatter...so I
might just switch my tires for now...

Tires can make a huge difference, often more than bike weight, give that a try
first.

Old July 23rd 04, 12:57 AM
Oscar

They are in San Francisco..last week our local bike shop had
them...pretty cool stuff...I havent seen anything on the web, but our
shop had them...