I was misled

Old July 15th 04, 12:58 AM
Jonesy

Default I was misled

(andres muro) wrote in message om...
(Jonesy) wrote in message . com...
Tom Sherman wrote in message ...
Jonesy wrote:

Then, no good can come of it. Ever. (This is the moral argument.
The ends/means argument is where some good can come of it. Try to
keep those straight henceforth.)...

This is logically wrong.

No, it actually isn't. Read some Kant for his views on right vs.
wrong.

Jonesy:

Actually, Kant talks about the categorical imperative which is not
grounded on logic, but in faith. The categorical imperative stipulates
that we should always take the morally correct route because this is
the imperative supercedes everything else.

Give that man a cookie! I had never dared hope to find intelligence
in USENET.

Kant's initial and fundemental premise is one of faith; the rest of
his argument proceeds from that logically. But since faith is the
sticking point of his entire argument, an ethical system in which
faith is NOT the centerpiece will be under concurrent debate. His
philosophy is an analogy to modern conservative Christian thinking.

[snip Kant, and amusing GWB commentary]

The reason I use Kant as an example is because modern Christian
conservatives (the kind Mark identifies with) have just such a
faith-based premise as their beginning point. If one abandons the
absolute references to become utilitarian, then that may call into
questions other aspects of belief - the belief that they might know,
and be able to define, which acts are good and which are evil. By
defining acts based on the outcome, the morality of those acts
suddenly becomes...

Relative.

And if you have not heard, cultural conservatives in the U.S. these
days declare that there is no such thing as moral relativity. If
there exists a conservative that doesn't cling to this absolutist
philosophy, I have not yet heard of him/her.

In any case, how may an individual or small group of individuals be
able to declare with objectivity what things are for the "greater
good"? That one's always been a stumper for me.

For me, disk brakes on my mountain bike are for the greater good. But
their value to a road bike seems minimal in my opinion.

--
Jonesy
Old July 15th 04, 04:57 AM
Mark Hickey

Tom Sherman wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote (in reply to Jonesy, not Tom...):

Say a terrorist sinks a ship. Bad thing, right?

It makes a great reef for the fish. Good thing, right? Except in
your tortured world, it's still a bad thing. Even the fish know
better....

Are these Republican fish or Democratic fish?

Probably Democrat. Republican fish arrange their own housing. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 15th 04, 05:03 AM
Mark Hickey

I just found what has to be the high point of political satire so far
this year. And not to worry - it's very equal opportunity satire -
both sides get creamed (hence, I like it). It's got to be one of the
funniest things I've ever seen on the net.

http://jibjab.com/thisland.html

It got me thinking (I know that's hard for Jonesy to believe...).
There HAVE to be things we can all agree on if we insist on
perpetuating these political threads. The cartoon above is one
example.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 15th 04, 07:05 AM
SoCalMike

Keep on worshipping the Shrub Torture Machine.

Oops. I said I was just here to correct errors. There's one now.
Unless you can show any connection whatsoever from the prison in Iraq
to the office of the President, you're just blowing smoke.

the current administration isnt going to make it that easy, or theyd
have people shouting for impeachment.

Jus' the facts, please.

which can be stranger than fiction.
Old July 15th 04, 02:26 PM
Mark Hickey

SoCalMike wrote:

Keep on worshipping the Shrub Torture Machine.

Oops. I said I was just here to correct errors. There's one now.
Unless you can show any connection whatsoever from the prison in Iraq
to the office of the President, you're just blowing smoke.

the current administration isnt going to make it that easy, or theyd
have people shouting for impeachment.

Well now THERE'S an air-tight prosecuter's strategy. "Ladies and
gentlemen of the jury, although we have no evidence at all that the
accused is guilty, it's just 'cuz he's such an evil genius that he's
hidden it all - so we assume you'll convict him without any further
input....". ;-)

Jus' the facts, please.

which can be stranger than fiction.

Too true!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 15th 04, 03:43 PM
andres muro

Jonsey:

I don't disagree with anything that you are saying. I was simply
pointing out that when Kant talks about the categorical imperative, he
makes a leap of faith which becomes the central criticism of his
philosophy. Most of us, as human beings are always, as you suggested,
trying to balance our decicisons between a moral imperative and the
most logical action in the long run. Kant comes up with the
categorical imperative as a way to create a balance against extreme
utilitarianism.

The interesting thing is that the most extremely utilitarian system is
capitalism and the most extreme capitalists are also the most extreme
categorical imperativists. By definition, capitalism is a system where
the purpose is to make a profit, and what is the purpose of making a
profit? making more profit so that you can make more profit and you
never end. So, you need to introduce a moral imperative into
capitalism so that we don't end up with overwhelmingly rich and
overwhlemingly poor people. Europeans come up with the social contract
as a way to prevent a capitalist system to run out of control. Since
the system did ran out of control in GB, Marx came up with his theory,
which is not the same as the social contract (predates marxism by 100
years). However, most Americans confuse the social contract with
marxism.

As you said earlier, the most extreme right wing people are those that
don't want any kind of a social contract between government and
people. they want capitalism to run freely because it is the "best
system in the world". Yet, some of these people become the most
righteous people when it does not relate to their money, ie: "no
gays, no lesbian, aids is god's punishment, axis of evil, the
communists are comming, etc etc." However, if you point out that 50
million people don't have health insurance, drugs are way too
expensive and one fourth of all kids in the US live in poverty, they
all of a sudden look the other way.

When you mention raising taxes to build more hospitals, improving the
quality of education for the poor, creating a better health care
system, improving housing for the poor, etc. the moral absolutists
claim that we need to let capitalism run its course because it is the
best system, and any type of a social contract is communism incarnated
(of course, it is not, but thy have no idea). However, when you
propose legislating the way other people live, they are the first ones
to support it.

So, if there is money involved such as nice juicy governnment
contracts, some people will take advantage of every oportunity to go
and show the evil dictators how good we are and how evil they are. We
will do this as long as it represents a profit. So, if 20 saudis, who
have ties with the saudi government attack the US, we will punish
them, by invading afganistan and Irak. However, we will not touch
saudi arabia because it is not profitable.

Send me the cookie. No, never mind the cookie, how about a nice ti
frame ;-)

Andres

Old July 15th 04, 04:52 PM
Jonesy

Mark Hickey wrote in message . ..

http://jibjab.com/thisland.html

Unfortunately, these guys are getting slammed with hits. I saw it
before the website got blasted so hard you can't get to the thing.
It's damn funny.

It got me thinking (I know that's hard for Jonesy to believe...)

I realize that you believe you are thinking. In reality, you are just
parroting conservative commentators who also buy into the propaganda.

If I thought for a minute that you had any substantial criticism of
the way conservatives go about things, I'd have more respect for your
views. (As if my respect means anything to you.)
--
Jonesy