ET Tu Antoni

Old September 25th 04, 12:09 PM

Default ET Tu Antoni

It isn't just Hamilton.....

US Trackie Joseph D'Antoni packed his bags September 22 for a two year EPO
vacation.

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://sixday.741.com/

Old September 25th 04, 09:35 PM
crit pro

From: )
Subject: UCI Weight limitation rules
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
Date: 1999/06/15

Personally I feel that this is just another case of Mr. Verbuggen and
the rest of the UCI just trying to use a diversionary topic to stray
away from the real issue--the notion the ENTIRE peloton seems to be
using performance enhancers (not 14 lb bikes!)

Joey D'Antoni

As a youth, Joey was a normal Bayou child. He played stickball,
etc... He was a normal as pumpkin pie. This point is where he started
to contemplate the dark side.

crit pro

http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/mai...PGP/riders.htm

or this..... (beating McCauley in a TT....yeah right!)

"Joey D'Antoni, improving rapidly this summer, had missed enough
crucial breaks - this time he wasn't taking any chances."
http://www.gnofn.org/~nobc/96crstry.htm

or this....article dated Feb 17, 2004 titled curiously, "Catching up
with Joey D'Antoni"

By Marianne Werz O'Brien
Joey D'Antoni, who races for the Cycles de Oro/Giant team, caught my
eye with his great racing in the Valley of the Sun last week. He had a
phenomenal opening ride in the time trial where he finished 3rd – only
2 seconds behind Mariano Friedick and 3 seconds ahead of Gordon
McCauley!
A little quick research on Joey reveals that in 2003 he finished 1st
in the 20 Lap Exhibition Scratch race during the Pan Am/World's
trials. He was in the top 4 in eight Track World Cup selection races,
as well as in two races in the Pan Am/World's trials. He also took 1st
in two pro road TT's (setting a new course record at the Lance
Armstrong TT in Philly), and 2nd in the North Carolina State TT
Championship.
Noticing that Joey races both track and road, with a specialty on time
trials, I asked him which was his main focus. Track, he replied, but
since he lives six hours away from the closest velodrome he does most
of his training on the roads around Raleigh.
After the final stage of the Valley of the Sun was run Mariano
Friedick was the overall victor with Gordon McCauley taking second
place GC and – because of a 1 minute penalty during the road race -
Joey finished 15th. Without the penalty Joey would have edged out
McCauley for 2nd GC by 3 seconds.
I caught up with Joey to ask him about the race. He told me that he
had started training in December to prepare for the Track World Cup
selection races, which take place in Ft. Lauderdale at the end of
February. "I've been doing VoS for the past couple of years because
the White Mountain Road Club puts on an excellent race," Joey said. "I
had a good day on Friday, I rode my pursuit bike (fixed gear) and
pushed really hard into the wind on the way out, and went pretty fast
on the way back."
"Saturday I felt fine in the RR, the one lap where we really killed it
up the hill I was right there with Mariano and Nathan. I tried to ride
pretty conservatively to protect my GC spot, and the race played out
exactly the way I wanted it to."
After the race Joey found out about his penalty for crossing the
double yellow line. When I asked him about it he replied, "Like I said
- VoS is a great race, but the Arizona officials are lousy. Every
year, somebody gets flicked with the centerline. Our race Saturday
(and last year as well) was extremely clean, and I saw no one doing
anything drastic over the yellow line."
He further explained that the normal ebb and flow of the peloton
occasionally pushes riders over the yellow line. If the officials try
to enforce the rule too tightly, more crashes will occur as riders
fight to stay inside the line in order to avoid the one-minute
penalty.
Unlike most racers at his level, Joey has a full-time job to contend
with, as well as his training. He feels very fortunate that his
employer (Wyeth Vaccines) is so understanding, and is willing to allow
him flexible hours during the race season. They even allowed him to
work part time out of the corporate offices in Pennsylvania during
last year's Track National Championships!
Even with his training and full time job, Joey finds time to coach
other racers – including Spin Cycle/Duke Sports Medicine cyclist Laura
Weislo, who reports that "Although I curse his name at about 17.5
minutes into my 20 minute intervals, and question his sanity when I do
those points race drills, he really has done quite a lot for me."
Joey usually trains alone, or with his Cycles de Oro teammate Hatcher
Rosebock, or friend Rich Harper. I asked him about using road races to
improve his track results, because the two events seem quite different
to me. After all - track races are extremely intense but of much
shorter duration than road races.
Joey explained it. "I'm definitely more of a pursuiter than a
sprinter, but a pursuit is pretty analogous to a road TT, as it is a
mainly aerobic event. The points races we do are 30-40 km and are very
similar to crits, so, yes, road races make for good training."
In which case he should be well trained, considering last year he won
the Brooks TT & the Lance Armstrong TT in Philly where he set a new
course record!
Laura Weislo fills us in on Joey's everyday training: "He gets up
before the crack of dawn. Sometimes he rides his rollers before going
to work - some quick leg speed drills. Often he'll go out at lunch and
do some power work - either threshold intervals (long ones), pursuit
intervals (4 mins) or "points race" drills, which are repetitive
sprint efforts with little recovery time that take you very close to
the point of puking."
"In the winter, weather permitting, he'll do a longer ride in the PM.
If the mornings aren't too cold (and it really takes a lot to be too
cold for him) he'll commute 40 miles to work. One weekend we did 4
hours in temperatures that never got above freezing. He doesn't get to
take a few weeks off to go somewhere warm to train - he just sucks it
up and rides through whatever he has to."
Joey has been described as a very subtle and astute rider, who knows
his own strengths and others' weaknesses. He is a bit of a stealth
racer on the track – one who manages to slip away unnoticed. Two-time
Olympian, 11 times British Track Champion, and twice World Champion
medallist in Pursuit, Shaun Wallace, once said that he wanted to get a
Joey D'Antoni mask to wear in points races, so people wouldn't mark
him so much!
When I spoke with Shaun he told me he raced Madison with Joey several
times in 2001. "Joey trains on the road, and learning to race the
Madison is hard because to learn it you have to race and the best
riders usually pair up. So I think it was good to pair with Joey, I
think he learned a lot."
Shaun also explained the Joey D'Antoni mask quote to me, saying: "In
bunch races on the track Joey, being somewhat underrated, could pop
off the front and people just let him go. They figured they'd catch
him later – only to have Joey lap them." Whereas Shaun (then aged 40)
couldn't even stretch his legs a bit without getting attacked!
Joey will be racing in all the Track World Cup selection races this
year, and hopefully will ride some of the UCI Track World Cups as
well. He has his eye on a berth in the Olympic track squad for
Individual Pursuit. Here's hoping he gets it!
The Cycles de Oro website is here.
Joey D'Antoni - Selected Results
2003 Results Road
1st Brooks TT (Pro 1) Brooks, GA
3rd Greenville (NC) Criterium
1st Lance Armstrong TT Philadelphia, PA (course record)
2nd NC State TT
2003 Results Track
2nd Madison World Cup Selection #2 Fort Lauderdale
4th Pursuit World Cup Selection #2 Fort Lauderdale
4th Scratch Race World Cup Selection #2 Fort Lauderdale
4th Points Race World Cup Selection #2 Fort Lauderdale
2nd Pursuit (4:52) World Cup Selection #3 Dallas
4th Scratch Race World Cup Selection #3 Dallas
4th Points Race World Cup Selection #3 Dallas
2nd Madison World Cup Selection #3 Dallas
3rd Points Race Friday Night Trexlertown (6 June)
4th Pursuit Pan Am/World's Trials Colorado Springs CO
4th Points Race Pan Am/World's Trials Colorado Springs CO
1st 20 Lap Exhibition Scratch Pan Am/World's Trials Colorado Springs
CO
5th Madison Pan Am/World's Trials Colorado Springs CO
4th Points Race Alpenrose Velodrome Challenge Portland, OR
2nd East Point GP Atlanta, GA
5th Individual Pursuit Elite National Championships Trexlertown, PA
4th Team Pursuit Elite National Championships Trexlertown, PA
1st Qualifier Points Race Elite National Championships Trexlertown, PA
1st Qualifier Scratch Race Elite National Championships Trexlertown,
PA
2002 Results Road
1st January Nats Road Race
4th Brooks RR
4th Brooks TT
4th French Broad TT
3rd Hickory Criterium
2002 Results Track
3rd East Point Grand Prix Atlanta, GA
3rd 4km Individual Pursuit American Velodrome Challenge Houston, TX
3rd Madison American Velodrome Challenge Houston, TX
3rd 4km Individual Pursuit American Velodrome Challenge
Indianapolis,IN
3rd 4km Individual Pursuit American Velodrome Challenge Colorado
Springs, CO
4th 10 Mile Scratch Race American Velodrome Challenge Portland, OR
5th Points Race American Velodrome Challenge Portland, OR
3rd Team Pursuit Elite National Championships Trexlertown, PA
2001 Results Road
1st Dixie Classic Criterium Training Series
4th Ford Cycling Classic Norfolk, VA
4th Dixie Classic Fall Criterium Winston Salem, NC
2001 Results Track
ATRA 10 Mile Series National Champion
ATRA Points Race Series National Champion
1st 10 Mile Scratch Race American Velodrome Challenge Trexlertown, PA
3rd Points Race American Velodrome Challenge Trexlertown, PA
1st 10 Mile Scratch Race American Velodrome Challenge Seattle, WA
5th Miss & Out American Velodrome Challenge Seattle, WA
2nd Team Pursuit Elite National Championships Blaine, MN
1st Individual Pursuit Southeastern Regional Championships Atlanta, GA
2nd Points Race American Velodrome Challenge San Diego, CA
2nd Individual Pursuit American Velodrome Challenge San Diego, CA