shoulder pain for newbie on bent.........

Old January 16th 05, 09:32 AM

Default shoulder pain for newbie on bent.........

Hi, everyone. This is my very first post here, and I have ridden a
bent only twice, with back and shoulder pain both times.

The back pain I researched here on this ng and came to understand that
I was hot-dogging up a hill and thereby put too much pressure on my
lower back.

The shoulder pain was due to an unfortunate combination of my
long-standing rotator cuff tendonitis, and a subtle but undeniable
effort on my part to use the handlebars to assist in balancing myself
on the bike with a push-pull-push type of movement of my hands on the
bars. This type of movement aggravated my shoulder condition badly, in
short order.

The bent I rode was an above-the-seat steering model, but I am very
seriously considering an under-steer trike, made by Sun Bicycles.

Please take a look at the
trike.....http://www.sunbicycles.com/03/html_0...50/ez3_usx.jpg

I would appreciate your input/opinions of these issues of
balance/shoulder pain/back pain/understeer vs oversteer, etc.

I feel perhaps the members of this ng would give me more accurate
information than would the sales staff at the bike shop........
Thanking you all in advance,

Mark Mestman

Old January 16th 05, 01:30 PM
Tom Sherman

Mark Mestman wrote:

[...]

Most new recumbent bicycle riders have experience riding upright
bicycles, and therefore have some behaviors that need to be modified.
Pulling on the handlebars when climbing or sprinting [1] does not
improve performance, but instead stresses the rider's back with making
the handling "squirrelly". Applying excessive force to the handlebars
while steering is also a common mistake make by new recumbent riders.

A technique that has worked for well in many cases is to hold the
handlebars with just the thumb and forefinger (except when a stronger
grip is needed for shifting and braking). This limits the amount of
force applied through the rider's arms and also reduces excessive
control movements. Remember, on a recumbent the seat should be
supporting the rider's upper body, not the rider's arms.

Another factor to consider is the arm position while riding. In my
experience having the elbows and hands close to the body (begging
hamster position) results in having less upper body motion then having
to reach farther for the handlebars (Superman flying position).

[1] With a few possible exceptions; e.g. Joe Kochankowski's supine
position bicycle.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 17th 05, 12:39 AM

Tom,

Thanks for your reply, which validated my thoughts about understeer vs
above steer....having my elbows and arms lower and closer to my ribcage
would make it easier for my shoulders to tolerate riding the bent.

Indeed, making the change from an upright bike to a bent will require a
transition of re-learning, but I don't think my shoulders are up to the
task, so I am still leaning heavily (no pun intended) toward the
recumbent trike instead of the bike.

Any others have opinions/experience in these issues?
Thanks again,

Mark

Sharp Pain in my Knee Michael General 27 September 10th 04 12:51 AM
Sharp Pain in Knee Michael Techniques 16 September 4th 04 11:54 PM
Lower Back Pain from Cycling Kara Racing 9 September 3rd 04 06:28 PM
Wheel and arm bent Roja Doja UK 40 August 13th 04 10:01 AM