20 inch conversion on an EZ1

Old January 21st 05, 12:43 AM
Freddie M. Wall

Default 20 inch conversion on an EZ1

I believe I had read during the past year about a person who converted the
front wheel of his / her EZ 1 to a 20 inch wheel. Unfortunately, I can not
recall the details. Is anyone on this newsgroup familiar with how to
accomplish this and more importantly, would it work? Or, would it cause the
recumbent to handle poorly?

Thanks.

Old January 21st 05, 11:10 AM

I was wanting to do this. However my LBS was unable to locate a fork
with a long enough stem to go through the head tube. I did find an
article on the HPV site where someone had modified their fork for more
rake to reduce the low speed front wheel flop.

Old January 21st 05, 01:25 PM

I would think a long enough fork would be available from J&B /Sun.
http://www.jbimporters.com/

Old January 21st 05, 05:10 PM
Freddie M. Wall

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the J and B site and saw that one has
to go through the LBS. I'll speak with the one I use a lot and see what they
have to say.
Thanks.
oups.com...

Old January 21st 05, 08:48 PM
Freddie M. Wall

I went by my LBS and the mechanic called JB Importers while I was there.
After the mechanic explained my request, he said the customer service
representative was abrupt and said "NO!" It seems that he would not even
discuss selling the LBS a fork to try the conversion.

From exploration of other sources, it seems that there are few if any other
manufacturers that make a fork that would meet the need. The mechanic said
he would keep checking, just in case. I just wish I had not bought a
recumbent several years ago before they released the models with larger
wheels. In my area, recumbents were nonexistent and I was glad to find what
I did at the time. Since I have a collection of other bikes for various
purposes, I am not interested in buying another recumbent. If the Customer
Service Rep is indicative of this importer's attitude toward customers, I
will definitely think long and hard before deciding on one they import.

If anyone happens across another source for the conversion, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

oups.com...

Old January 22nd 05, 12:07 AM
db

Try here...
http://poweroncycling.com/FORKS.htm

"Freddie M. Wall" wrote in message
I went by my LBS and the mechanic called JB Importers while I was there.
After the mechanic explained my request, he said the customer service
representative was abrupt and said "NO!" It seems that he would not even
discuss selling the LBS a fork to try the conversion.

From exploration of other sources, it seems that there are few if any

other
manufacturers that make a fork that would meet the need. The mechanic

said
he would keep checking, just in case. I just wish I had not bought a
recumbent several years ago before they released the models with larger
wheels. In my area, recumbents were nonexistent and I was glad to find

what
I did at the time. Since I have a collection of other bikes for various
purposes, I am not interested in buying another recumbent. If the

Customer
Service Rep is indicative of this importer's attitude toward customers, I
will definitely think long and hard before deciding on one they import.

If anyone happens across another source for the conversion, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

oups.com...

Old January 22nd 05, 12:19 AM
Tom Sherman

Freddie M. Wall wrote:

I went by my LBS and the mechanic called JB Importers while I was there.
After the mechanic explained my request, he said the customer service
representative was abrupt and said "NO!" It seems that he would not even
discuss selling the LBS a fork to try the conversion.

From exploration of other sources, it seems that there are few if any other
manufacturers that make a fork that would meet the need. The mechanic said
he would keep checking, just in case. I just wish I had not bought a
recumbent several years ago before they released the models with larger
wheels. In my area, recumbents were nonexistent and I was glad to find what
I did at the time. Since I have a collection of other bikes for various
purposes, I am not interested in buying another recumbent. If the Customer
Service Rep is indicative of this importer's attitude toward customers, I
will definitely think long and hard before deciding on one they import.

If anyone happens across another source for the conversion, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

A RANS Tailwind fork is raked for LWB use and has cantilever studs in
the correct place for an ISO 406-mm wheel. I suspect that the steerer
would be long enough, as I had to cut quite a bit off mine when I
converted my RANS Wave to an ISO 406-mm front wheel. Check with a RANS
dealer.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 22nd 05, 12:36 AM
db

The 20 inch fork offered by Power-on cycling is a RANS Tailwind 406 fork, I
think...

Be well, Tom,

Doug

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Freddie M. Wall wrote:

I went by my LBS and the mechanic called JB Importers while I was there.
After the mechanic explained my request, he said the customer service
representative was abrupt and said "NO!" It seems that he would not even
discuss selling the LBS a fork to try the conversion.

From exploration of other sources, it seems that there are few if any

other

Old January 22nd 05, 01:14 AM
Freddie M. Wall

Thanks for the suggestions. I have printed them off and will follow-up on
this.

"

Old January 22nd 05, 12:15 PM

Re J&B, you might have to tell them you want a fork for an EZ Sport.
They may not approve of the idea of modificatons.
In any case, it seems like there are other sources.

GB4 20 Inch Freestyle Mojoe Unicycling 3 December 7th 03 05:55 AM
56 inch big wheel with 4.5 inch cranks!? Ken Fuchs Unicycling 9 September 5th 03 03:27 AM
With gritted teeth... Chuck Webb Unicycling 21 August 29th 03 07:38 AM
Air Seat Conversion? XWonka Unicycling 4 August 5th 03 12:04 AM