Just built a bike

Old August 13th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Just built a bike

Hi All,

I just built a bike for a friend and I thought it would be fun to share
it:

http://www.arbitrary.org/Keld.jpg

It's built up from a mix of new and old components I had lying around
and stuff bought for the task. The idea is he will probably get a new
custom frame next year and transfer all the "good" parts over then when
he has more money available for the project, so we sort of used what
was at hand. Thus the sort of schizophrenic spec.

Leader 730-R frame
Pazzaz carbon fork w/ alloy steerer
Pazzaz headset
Pazzaz carbon seatpost
Supergo 6061 forged 13cm stem
Pro alloy spacers
Selle Italia Max Flite saddle
Centaur gruppo ww/ 175mm cranks 39-53
Ambrosio Evolution 36 hole eylet rims
DT straight 14 spokes
Veloce hubs
Veloce 10s 13-27 cassette
Ultegra chain
Ultegra front derailleur
Chinese 113mm BB
Michelin Pro2 Race 25 tires (actually 27mm)
Easton EC90 Equipe carbon bars
Pro bartape
Tacx Tao bottle cages

Now that he has a "real" bike that almost fits him (instead of his too
small department store hybrid), it's gonna be fun out on the road when
I get to draft!

Joseph

Old August 13th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Nice job, Joseph! (But I do hope your friend has a flexible back.)

BTW, where to you live?

Old August 13th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

Norway. Nice riding and skiing. As long as the spring and fall aren't
too long. We had a great summer and the long days meant that I could
head out for 3 hour rides at 8pm and still have plenty of light at the
end.

Joseph

Old August 13th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:
wrote:
[snip]
Now that he has a "real" bike that almost fits him (instead of his too
small department store hybrid), it's gonna be fun out on the road when
I get to draft!

Joseph

Looks great, no need to "upgrade" for a long time. Especially the rims,
Nice! The frame still looks 4cm smaller than would be appropriate for
the guy in the pic, but perhaps I'm just a traditionalist.

I suspect the only thing he'll upgrade is the $5 BB that may well die
under his 260lbs. I'm also a little nervous about the seat-post. I'm
hoping that if it isn't up to the task it will give warning signs. The
frame was the best we could do with his budget. It's a 65cm c-t. I
couldn't find anything bigger, and he doesn't have the cash for a
custom right now. I agree it's too small. He's "only" 6'6" but his
inseam is 41". He has also super long arms so the saddle to bar drop
isn't so bad, but he could use more reach. I would have liked to give
him more spacers, but the steerer wasn't long enough for more. He
really needs a custom frame. But he's never had any bike that fit
properly, so he may not miss what he doesn't know. This one fits him
better than anything he's ever tried before.

The only problem with the build is the shift cable housings from the
bars to the frame are too short.

Joseph

Old August 13th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

Weird:

When i saw the picture of you with the bike I thought you looked just
like my friend Morten from Norway. Then, i scrooled down and see that
you are actually from Norway. there must be little genetic diversity
over there. people look the same.

Andres

Joseph

Old August 14th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Starr

On 13 Aug 2006 09:49:31 -0700, wrote:

Hi All,

I just built a bike for a friend and I thought it would be fun to share
it:

http://www.arbitrary.org/Keld.jpg

Joseph

Very nice, well done!

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old August 14th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
landotter wrote:
wrote:
[snip]
[...]

i'm tall, with a longish inseam, and i "should" ride a 66cm frame by
traditional standards, but i found that the bigger the frame gets, the
worse are problems with handling and shimmy. these days, i ride 62cm or
even 60cm comfortably. my favorite track frame is 59cm and my fat tire
commuter is 57cm.

bottom line, traditionalists may not like it, but long seat posts
[consider carbon too] are reliable since the advent of the mountain
bike, and better handling characteristics are well worth the "price". i
say your friend should stick with this size of solution, not listen to
the siren song of the "big custom" builders - and maybe he will now he
appreciates the better handling.

The only problem with the build is the shift cable housings from the
bars to the frame are too short.

Joseph

Bike Weight redux Doug Taylor Techniques 100 March 25th 06 09:29 PM
Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM