Pedal reflectors

Old October 20th 10, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default Pedal reflectors

Colin Nelson wrote:
Mr. Benn wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:

Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal
reflectors is "controversial" and used this justification for
delaying someone's post.

Who gives a ****?

Probably the most boring thread in decades.

--
Paul - xxx

I have just realised that my pedals don't have reflectors on them!

Mine do - all of them (but when I have four panniers fitted I don't
think that the reflectors are visible from the from or rear - I do
have muliple lights/reflectors fitted to the panniers).
Anyway ... What's the logic/reasoning etc etc behind the law that
makes bikes older than a particular YOM legal without pedal reflectors
(I don't recall bike design changeing a great deal over the past sixty
odd years)?

there is no exemption on age of machine.

Old October 20th 10, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

On 20/10/2010 11:58, Mr. Benn wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:

Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal
reflectors is "controversial" and used this justification for
delaying someone's post.

Who gives a ****?

Probably the most boring thread in decades.

--
Paul - xxx

I have just realised that my pedals don't have reflectors on them!

Quite common. You have various choices :

Be a safe cyclist, and make sure you've got sufficient other lighting to
ensure the lack of reflectors isn't a problem. This isn't hard at all,
and you'd probably be doing that anyway.

Be a law-abiding cyclist, and get some pedals which are legal, if
necessary ditching the nice clipless ones currently being used. After
all, obeying the law is the most important thing, not safety.

I'd go for the first...
Old October 20th 10, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Nelson

Mrcheerful wrote:
Colin Nelson wrote:
Mr. Benn wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:

Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal
reflectors is "controversial" and used this justification for
delaying someone's post.

Who gives a ****?

Probably the most boring thread in decades.

--
Paul - xxx

I have just realised that my pedals don't have reflectors on them!

Mine do - all of them (but when I have four panniers fitted I don't
think that the reflectors are visible from the from or rear - I do
have muliple lights/reflectors fitted to the panniers).
Anyway ... What's the logic/reasoning etc etc behind the law that
makes bikes older than a particular YOM legal without pedal
reflectors (I don't recall bike design changeing a great deal over
the past sixty odd years)?

there is no exemption on age of machine.

Bicycles manufactured before 1/10/1985 are not legaly required to have
pedal reflectors fitted (even when used at night). That also poses the
question - How much of the bike must have been manufacture before
1/10/85 ... frame, frame+forks etc ?

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

Old October 20th 10, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Colin Nelson wrote:

Mrcheerful wrote:
Colin Nelson wrote:
Mr. Benn wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:

[...]

My bike was manufactured pre 1985. Since I bought it I've replaced the
wheels, saddle, seat post, stem, handlebars, forks and eventually the
frame.

Tony
Old October 20th 10, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.net.news.moderation
JMS

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:02:25 +0200, Dieter Britz
wrote:

X5b8cpMN wrote:

On 19/10/2010 16:34, Mr. Benn wrote:
Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal reflectors
is "controversial" and used this justification for delaying someone's
post.

Moderated groups on the whole are ****.

Not generally. E.g. the moderated physics group has serious discussions, and
no "Teens sucking cock!!" or "EINSTEIN WAS WRONG" type items, which is good.
But this seems weird - if there is controversy on pedal reflectors, why not
discuss that? How good a moderated ng is depends on the moderators.

"How good a moderated ng is depends on the moderators."

Absolutely spot on.

Old October 20th 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 20, 4:07*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:

Reflective windmills wouldn't be legal. *You cannot legally fit lights
or reflectors to any moving part of any vehicle other than the wheels
or pedals.

So having an additional red light hanging from a rucksack would be
illegal, or an additional blinky attached to the rear of an
overshoe ?

--
Dan
Old October 20th 10, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 22:16:27 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Ian Smith wrote:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Mr. Benn wrote:

Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal
reflectors is "controversial" and used this justification for
delaying someone's post.

Why?

Because the better sorts of pedals for sale in the UK are almost
impossible to make comply with UK law, and it is almost impossible
to comply with UK law regarding pedal reflectors when riding a
recumbent.

You are right. But couldn't we see this as an engineering problem?
As in, how could we (or rather, manufacturers or enterprising
accessory makers) make them reflective? How about putting a
reflective jacket round the axle between the pedal and the crank?
Or a little but highly reflective peg on the outside? Or making all
cleated shoes (because by 'the better sorts of pedals' i assume you
mean ones with those confounded clippy arrangements on) reflective
front and back as a substitute? And, er, fitting recumbents with
reflective windmills? Any brighter ideas?

It would be rather like there being a law mandating a rigid roof
on every car - it might have a safety benefit, it would render a
large number of cars illegal. Such a law would be controversial,
I expect.

I don't keep up with urcm, but that sounds like a rubbish justification.

I didn't say anything about the validity of the justification, I
merely explained why pedal reflectors could be regarded as
controversial.

On of my sets of clipless pedals has reflectors. The engineering
problem is easily solved, it's the will to actually comply with the
law that is lacking.

Reflective shoes doesn't make you legal, and if you're going to
change the law to make reflective shoes an alternative you may as well
go the whole hog and just remove the requirement.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 21st 10, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_5_]

On 20/10/2010 16:07, Phil W Lee wrote:
Tom considered Tue, 19 Oct 2010
22:16:27 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Mr. wrote:

[...]

Handlebars? Forks?
Old October 21st 10, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_5_]

On 20/10/2010 08:02, Dieter Britz wrote:
X5b8cpMN wrote:

On 19/10/2010 16:34, Mr. Benn wrote:
Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal reflectors
is "controversial" and used this justification for delaying someone's
post.

Moderated groups on the whole are ****.

Not generally. E.g. the moderated physics group has serious discussions, and
no "Teens sucking cock!!" or "EINSTEIN WAS WRONG" type items, which is good.
But this seems weird - if there is controversy on pedal reflectors, why not
discuss that? How good a moderated ng is depends on the moderators.

You are new here?

SPD Pedal reflectors Paul Boyd[_2_] UK 10 December 30th 07 08:32 PM
pedal reflectors Adam Lea UK 45 July 21st 07 11:09 PM
Pedal Reflectors - where from? Josey UK 24 September 9th 06 12:41 PM
Pedal Reflectors in the UK - a little off topic Pete Bradbury Mountain Biking 5 July 2nd 06 10:51 PM
Reflectors and the Law Mark Thompson UK 27 February 17th 06 11:51 AM