I got rear ended today...(Tom)

Old June 26th 04, 10:23 AM
Steve Ritchie

Default I got rear ended today...(Tom)

DjRobin wrote in message ...
For what it's worth I just had a bicycle accident (yes, bicycle, not my

Burgman
650) where I'm not sure what happened but at about 12 or 13 mph witnesses

say
they saw me fly over the handle bars and land on my head. I was wearing

a bike
helmet but ended up unconscious for about 20 minutes. I'm a helmet

believer
more than ever.

I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

Old June 26th 04, 10:40 AM
Whingin' Pom

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:23:47 GMT, "Steve Ritchie"
() wrote:

DjRobin wrote in message ...
For what it's worth I just had a bicycle accident (yes, bicycle, not my

Burgman
650) where I'm not sure what happened but at about 12 or 13 mph witnesses

say
they saw me fly over the handle bars and land on my head. I was wearing

a bike
helmet but ended up unconscious for about 20 minutes. I'm a helmet

believer
more than ever.

I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

Incoming!

heads for cover
--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ
Old June 26th 04, 10:47 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message
:

I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

They do indeed. Statistically, there is no known case where cyclist
safety has improved with increasing helmet use.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 26th 04, 10:53 AM
Tony Raven

Steve Ritchie wrote:

I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

I wonder why you cross posted this to uk.rec.cycling. Back in your box
troll-boy.

For those wondering in alt.scooter, those in uk.rec.cycling are well aware
that the statistics do speak for themselves and do not speak for helmets. If
you are curious as to why troll-boys is wrong I can recommend
http://www.cyclehelmets.org as a starter.

Tony

Old June 26th 04, 11:23 AM
[Not Responding]

wrote:

DjRobin wrote in message ...
For what it's worth I just had a bicycle accident (yes, bicycle, not my

Burgman
650) where I'm not sure what happened but at about 12 or 13 mph witnesses

say
they saw me fly over the handle bars and land on my head. I was wearing

a bike
helmet but ended up unconscious for about 20 minutes. I'm a helmet

believer
more than ever.

I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

You're new here, aren't you?
Old June 26th 04, 03:04 PM
Peter B

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Steve Ritchie wrote:

I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to

bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a

helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

I wonder why you cross posted this to uk.rec.cycling. Back in your box
troll-boy.

No he's right.
When I got knocked off I was wearing a helmet and landed on my arse.
I firmly believe that the helmets' aerodynamics allowed me to rotate approx
360 degrees during flight 1 landing on the road 2 in a similar position
to that when on my bike but because I'm follically challenged 3 the
aerodymic efficiency of my unhelmeted noggin' would have meant that I'd have
rotated circa 500 degrees thus landing on my head and subsequently
immediately dying.
So there you have it, because I've stated publicly that wearing a helmet
saved my life the case is proven.(At least for the follically challenged.
And those of you who wear a syrup needn't be smug, the initial impact may
dislodge it negating it's benefit and perhaps even compounding the danger
should it fly onto another motorists windscreen unsighting them).

Of course, if you cycle on the pavement in the first place you will be
Exposed To No Danger Whatsoever and enjoy pleasant salutations from
pedestrians who enjoy the thrill of cyclists whizzing, unannounced, from
behind 25mm (approx 1 inch) away from them.

1 IM(limited)E you are more likely to be launched than knocked off your
bike if struck by a motor vehicle.
2 Kindly provided by the local unlicenced drivers of un"taxed", uninsured,
rusty Fiestas.
3 In non-PC speak "Bald Headed *******".

Anyway, the weather forecast looks better for tomorrow so I'll get on me
bike :-)

Question: Is it Wimbledon, Glastonbury, The Russians or global warming to
blame for the rain?
Answer: None of the above, it's the effect of the removal of all those silly
fluttering flags. :-)

Pete

Old June 26th 04, 03:12 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Steve Ritchie wrote:

I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

/me sticks head in gas oven
Old June 26th 04, 03:57 PM
Gawnsoft

wrote (more or less):
I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

They may speak for themselves, but you don't seem to speak their
language!

--
Cheers,
Euan
Old June 26th 04, 04:07 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Dr Curious wrote:

They even used to claim that Mad King Ludwig of Bavaria was mad

I've been to his house. He may or may not have been mad, but he
certainly had a Louis XIV fixation and spent money faster than a pikey
lottery winner. That's a *proper* King for you.
Old June 26th 04, 05:19 PM
Sue

In message , Gawnsoft
writes
wrote (more or less):
I agree with you about wearing the cycle helmet. I didn't used to bother,
but now I see the number of cycling deaths caused by not wearing a helmet
it's the only sensible thing to do. The statistics speak for themselves.

They may speak for themselves, but you don't seem to speak their
language!

But I read that helmets are so good, everybody who wears one is
protecting two people from certain death!

--
Sue ]