Touring Europe (Tour de France) questions

Old May 28th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Touring Europe (Tour de France) questions

Hi

I am posting on here about bicycle travel to France on American
airlines to see if anyone
recently has does this. I searched this group but all the postings I
can find are from 2003 or earlier.
I want to plan a trip to see the later stages of the Tour de France.
already have a plane ticket to
Orly airport and a Rail Europe anywhere/anytime France ticket. I know
American airlines charges $100 for bicycles. I still have a few
questions.
1. Does Rail Europe thru France allow bikes on the train without a
case or box?
2. Where do you store the case if it is a large plastic one? (I was
thinking about getting a nylon one so it is easier to store in a
locker at the airport or at the trail station where I arrive,)
3. Does the train going to London under the chunnel (eurostar) allow
bikes? (I'm planning on going to England after the Tour)
4. Does anyone have any experience spectating the Tour de France with
their bicycle as the main means of getting around? Then leaving by
train and air?
Thanks for any help .
Jeff
)

Old May 28th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On May 28, 5:07*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I, sad to say, have never been and can give you no firsthand
knowledge, but there's a book out that should be perfect. Google
Graham Watson's Tour de France Travel Guide

Old May 28th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article
,
" wrote:

Hi

I am posting on here about bicycle travel to France on American
airlines to see if anyone recently has does this. I searched this
group but all the postings I can find are from 2003 or earlier. I
want to plan a trip to see the later stages of the Tour de France. I
already have a plane ticket to Orly airport and a Rail Europe
anywhere/anytime France ticket. I know American airlines charges $100
for bicycles. I still have a few questions.

If you check the bike straight through to Europe, you may avoid the
charge from American Airlines. It is allowable as one of your two
pieces of international checked bags. This is not as consistently the
case as it once was, with airlines looking for any way to soak a little
more money out of the traveler's pocket.

1. Does Rail Europe thru France allow bikes on the train without a
case or box?

Depends on the train. On the TGV, you need to have the bike in a housse
(bag) and it is placed in the luggage rack on the train (or was in 2002
and 2003, the last time I was in France). Non-TGV trains have different
have different rules and may vary by region.

There might be some information you can winnow out of he

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/searc...ns&expand=auto

Google, being your friend, recommends:

http://www.frenchentree.com/travelli...yarticle.asp?i
d=19003

http://www.mayq.com/Best_european_tr..._and_bikes.htm

http://fubicy.org/spip.php?rubrique52

2. Where do you store the case if it is a large plastic one? (I was
thinking about getting a nylon one so it is easier to store in a
locker at the airport or at the trail station where I arrive,)

You don't, basically. Security in the current world means no long-term
storage lockers at airports, bus stations or train stations. Use a
cardboard box from a bike shop, throw it away (or give it to someone
flying out with a bike) when you get there. Buy a box from the airline
when you come back.

3. Does the train going to London under the chunnel (eurostar) allow
bikes? (I'm planning on going to England after the Tour)

Other people have taken bikes on the Chunnel, so I'd guess the answer is
"yes."

http://www.seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm

Also, the Germans- perhaps no surprise there- have the best Web site for
finding out train information in France including what trains take bikes:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

4. Does anyone have any experience spectating the Tour de France with
their bicycle as the main means of getting around? Then leaving by
train and air?

Be aware you will be hard pressed to find a hotel room, chambre-d'hote
or gite within 20 miles of a stage start or finish, at this point. The
Tour is rather popular.
Old June 1st 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Thanks for all your information .. this is very helpful
Jeff

On May 28, 4:22*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

http://www.frenchentree.com/travelli...splayarticle.a...
[...]

Cycle touring in Europe BT Humble Australia 19 January 31st 08 12:13 AM
July 3rd Tour de France on OLN - Questions... C.J.Patten General 15 July 5th 05 11:26 PM
Touring in eastern Europe Ken UK 3 May 14th 05 04:45 PM
Touring with Pack and Pedal Europe Bob G Rides 0 January 5th 05 09:04 PM
touring in Europe (tour operators) R. Kent Wenger Rides 6 November 7th 03 09:34 AM