Tyre Blowout

Old December 28th 07, 12:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

Default Tyre Blowout

1. Tyvek. Sometimes used for large mailing envelopes. It can be cut but is
almost impossible to tear. Keep a few pieces cut from a tyvek envelope in
your patch kit.

2. Polymer banknotes. Keep a few in your wallet.

"Bob C" patnbob@unwired wrote in message
.. .
What is the favoured liner material to make a temporary repair of a blown
out sidewall?

Old December 28th 07, 01:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

--
Bob C

I carry some various lengths of Zefal cloth rim tape stuck to the top lid of
my puncture kit box, this can fix cuts quite easy as it is sticky and does
not stretch much.

I am currently still using a pro race tyre for club racing with a large cut
in the side wall repaired with a bit of rim tape, tyre will be replaced as
soon as my PBK order arrives.

Old December 28th 07, 04:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Now really, has no-one thought of using larger patches on the inside of the
tyre like you're supposed to?

I carry them, and have had cause to use them on a pinch flat that went
through the tyre wall as well.

A substantial cut that bloated out, but the patch and glue held together
nicely after repair. Rest of the ride came along nicely without having to
worry about what was or wasn't going to blow out a second time.

It doesn't weigh much, is real easy to get (any bike shop) and is by far a
better fix than bloody dried grass.

Sheeze.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Old December 28th 07, 10:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

"John Tserkezis" wrote in message
u...
Now really, has no-one thought of using larger patches on the inside of
the tyre like you're supposed to?

I carry them, and have had cause to use them on a pinch flat that went
through the tyre wall as well.

A substantial cut that bloated out, but the patch and glue held together
nicely after repair. Rest of the ride came along nicely without having to
worry about what was or wasn't going to blow out a second time.

It doesn't weigh much, is real easy to get (any bike shop) and is by far
a better fix than bloody dried grass.

Sheeze.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

Problem with patches is they stretch, so if the cut has damaged the ply
threads in the tyre the patch stretches and will make a nice bubble in the
tyre.

Old December 29th 07, 12:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Boostland wrote:

Problem with patches is they stretch, so if the cut has damaged the ply
threads in the tyre the patch stretches and will make a nice bubble in the
tyre.

And how does random grass do better in this respect? What if there are no
leafy greens of the required size in the area you're biking in?
Old December 29th 07, 06:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Dec 29, 9:19 am, John Tserkezis
wrote:
Boostland wrote:
Problem with patches is they stretch, so if the cut has damaged the ply
threads in the tyre the patch stretches and will make a nice bubble in the
tyre.

And how does random grass do better in this respect? What if there are no
leafy greens of the required size in the area you're biking in?

The idea is more that the grass was what was to hand, nobody is saying
"Use grass instead of patches." Do you carry *everything* to cater for
any eventuality provided it's small and light? The one time I've tried
to patch a side wall the rubber on the inside of the tyre was so dusty
and friable that nothing would stick to it. Thankfully it was small
enough not to cause much of a problem and a patch on the tube had
enough rigidity to stop it sticking out.

Then there's always the time I used a stick to fix a puncture
(tourniquet style). It worked fine for the few km back to base. I
suppose you'd have expected me to carry a puncture repair kit or
something unreasonable like that? :-)

Graeme
Old December 29th 07, 07:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

wrote:
Boostland wrote:
[...]

"Grass" was obviously meant to be a joke.

Fabric can work, depending on how much sidewall was cut.

But basically, nothing has anywhere near the integrity of a new tyre.

I once used some aluinium cut from a drink can. [It wasn't even my drink can.
I found it at the side of the road]. I put some PVC tape on the tube side...

Tomasso.
Old December 29th 07, 09:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

Boostland wrote:

Problem with patches is they stretch, so if the cut has damaged the ply
threads in the tyre the patch stretches and will make a nice bubble in
the tyre.

And how does random grass do better in this respect? What if there are
no leafy greens of the required size in the area you're biking in?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

I guess you must have missed my post somehow about using some Zefal rim
tape.

here it is via copypasta

g.com...

Old December 30th 07, 07:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
JohnJohn

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:50:20 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:44:49 +1100 Bob C
patnbob@unwired wrote:
What is the favoured liner material to make a temporary repair of a
blown out sidewall?

I believe the canonical material is a $5 note.

Or a Powerbar wrapper, though that does leave you the problem of what to
do with the Powerbar.
Old December 30th 07, 09:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-12-30, JohnJohn (aka Bruce)

patnbob@unwired wrote:
What is the favoured liner material to make a temporary repair of a
blown out sidewall?

I believe the canonical material is a $5 note.

Or a Powerbar wrapper, though that does leave you the problem of what to
do with the Powerbar.

You're not going to like this suggestion, but you could eat it.

I would probably just throw it out for the birds to eat

--
TimC
"I have /usr/sbin/coffee mounted from /dev/mug right now, and you can't

USC Blowout Sale! isaac steiner Unicycling 21 December 27th 07 02:57 PM
Conti Tyre Blowout [email protected] UK 9 June 1st 05 09:10 AM
AD: Bianchi Blowout... davidgeisbush Marketplace 0 November 21st 03 09:47 PM
Front blowout Bob Shanteau Techniques 88 November 21st 03 07:37 PM
First blowout tony R UK 6 October 15th 03 07:28 PM