Bicycling & health benefits of?

Old October 17th 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On 2017-10-16 18:59, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:52:51 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-16 04:16, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 10:02:00 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

And a walk is inexpensive.

Not really when seen per mile. I walk about two miles every day so
that's around 700mi/year. A pair of $30 sports shoes wears out within a
year so 4c/mile. I get more than that out of a road bike rear tire.
Sandals don't wear out that fast for whatever reason but can't be used
much in winter.

Get rid of the shoes. The feet are self healing and will grow to
accommodate even black top pavement.

I would add, before you start you say it is impossible, that Zola Budd
set the world 5,000 metre record running barefoot. Her mile best of
4:17.57 in 1985, still stands as the British record. Barefooted.

Oh, I could, since I already walk and bicycle with sandals all summer
long. Problem is, without any shoes one carries the dirt into the house
because you can't switch feet at the entrance door, and that will make
the missus grumpy (rightfully so). Especially when coming back from a
dirt trail.

How primitive. The Thais, who were essentially shoeless in years gone
by solved the problem by placed a tub of water outside the door and
washed their feet before going in the house.

So the foot fungus from the first person is spread to all the others?

P.S. We did the same thing working in the Jungle where one's boots
tended to be covered with mud.

Switching shoes is not primitive but way more practical and faster. It
takes about two seconds. Can you clean and dry your boots this fast?

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 17th 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-10-16 22:38, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 12:30:27 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 8:45:13 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Another thing, it seems to me that number of "cyclists" are
sometimes based on some pretty loose values. One report I read
counted cyclists as "has ridden a bicycle at least once in the
last year".

As for the usefulness of cycling infrastructure only the other regular
riders can say. The main reason being that there rarely is sufficient
funding for any serious traffic counting when it comes to cyclists.

I have seen it time and again. Long road with fast traffic, hardly any
cyclists. Then they build a bike lane or bike path and the number
increases substantially. Unfortunately also including folks like the
dude yesterday who was traveling in the bike lane on a 50mph road in
total darkness without any lights, and in dark clothing.

Another, "THE U.S. BICYCLE MARKET, A Trend Overview, Author:
Brad Edmondson" (study period 2000 - 2010) counted anyone that
has ridden 6 times in the last year, in one portion of the report
and as anyone that has ridden 110 days in the past 12 months in
another.

Comparing the two statistics it appears that the 6 times a year
numbers decreased over the study period from ~15% of the
population to ~13% of the population. The 110 day riders remained
basically flat from 8.7% of the population in 2000 to 8.1% in
2010.

I am pretty sure I qualify as a serious, dedicated cyclist. But I
don't know if I cycle 110 days per year. That is pretty much every
three days. Little bit more than twice per week. Where I live I
cycle 2 times in Dec-Jan-Feb months. And other weeks where I am
lucky to cycle once per week.

I should say I definitely cycled more than 110 days a year when I
commuted to work. I cycled 250 days a year when I commuted to work.
Less cycling days now that I don't commute or work.

That is a serious bicycle user's profile. Same here and due to
self-employment I also do not commute. Bicycle use is 4000mi/year, car
use for tax year 2016 was a whopping 757 miles. One has to be willing to
cycle 40 miles if that's required to get that spare part for a broken
plumbing assembly. Where the usual temptation is to hop into the car.

I've had a lot of problems with my or my brother's health this year what with crashing and his slowly going blind (luckily it appears in only one eye) so I presently have 3,100 miles and hopefully if all goes well may crack 4,000 by the end of the year if the weather cooperates.
Old October 17th 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-16 22:38,
wrote:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 8:45:13 PM UTC-5, John B.
wrote:

[...]

[...]

Weather doesn't faze me much. Last year I was waiting at a red traffic
light, completely soaked T-shirt, a brown puddle forming under my MTB. A
guy in the car next to me opens the passenger window. "Dude, it's
raining out there!" ... "No, it's free bike wash day".

Or as North Sea coastal residents say, there ain't no such thing as bad
weather. There is only wrong clothing. Though for me that only applies
when it gets close to or below freezing. Else it's always the default,
jeans shorts and T-shirt. Body temperature is regulated via crank torque.

Old October 17th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/17/2017 10:57 AM, Joerg wrote:

Or as North Sea coastal residents say, there ain't no such thing as bad
weather. There is only wrong clothing. Though for me that only applies
when it gets close to or below freezing. Else it's always the default,
jeans shorts and T-shirt. Body temperature is regulated via crank torque.

I'm aware of that "wrong clothing" aphorism, and I do think it's cute,
but I can't accept it. I love cycling, but I put up with significant
discomfort in some weather.

For example, in hot humid weather (85 Fahrenheit, 70 dewpoint) it seems
impossible for me to ride the uphill route to our grocery without
arriving drenched in sweat. In fact, despite the store's AC, I'll still
be dripping as I leave with a cart full of groceries.

And while I can handle drizzle or light sprinkling rain, I still know of
no way to be really comfortable in even moderate rain, especially with wind.

In a cool climate (where, say 80F or 25C) is a typical maximum, where
terrain is flat and cycling speeds are very slow, I think comfort would
be much easier.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 17th 17, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-17 09:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/17/2017 10:57 AM, Joerg wrote:

Or as North Sea coastal residents say, there ain't no such thing as
bad weather. There is only wrong clothing. Though for me that only
applies when it gets close to or below freezing. Else it's always the
default, jeans shorts and T-shirt. Body temperature is regulated via
crank torque.

I'm aware of that "wrong clothing" aphorism, and I do think it's cute,
but I can't accept it. I love cycling, but I put up with significant
discomfort in some weather.

For example, in hot humid weather (85 Fahrenheit, 70 dewpoint) it seems
impossible for me to ride the uphill route to our grocery without
arriving drenched in sweat. In fact, despite the store's AC, I'll still
be dripping as I leave with a cart full of groceries.

Sometimes I carry a 2nd T-shirt but you are right, if I change too
quickly after a hot-weather high-power ride that one will be drenched
soon as well.

And while I can handle drizzle or light sprinkling rain, I still know of
no way to be really comfortable in even moderate rain, especially with
wind.

Use one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumb...:Nzleitras.jpg

https://inhabitat.com/innovative-swe...ks-like-a-car/

When it really pours I use a thin rain coat but the flapping about of
those things isn't so great.

In a cool climate (where, say 80F or 25C) is a typical maximum, where
terrain is flat and cycling speeds are very slow, I think comfort would
be much easier.

Most of us would then probably fall asleep and crash :-)

I lived in the Netherlands for a while and in the flat areas there,
while temps are modest, one can face strong head winds. That can be very
uncomfortable. You stand in the pedals, cranking as hard as you can and
the needle of the speedometer barely lifts from the peg. According to
Murphy's Law that wind will have completely died down by the time the
return trip happens. Can be like that in other places as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KBJbhV-ia8

Old October 17th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 17/10/2017 2:57 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-10-17 09:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

You stand on the pedals when tackling a tough headwind? I have to say
that's not a tactic I've ever tried...
Old October 17th 17, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-17 09:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

You probably never lived in the Netherlands and had a 6-speed corn cob
cassette. Standing in the pedals and hunched over the handlebar into the
wind was a common mode of operation. Also for the guys riding heavy
single-speed Dutch bikes. Sometimes it was like going up a steep hill
and it wouldn't end.

Nowadays most bikes have a 28T or 32T available in back and a granny
ring up front. Not so in the olden days.

Old October 17th 17, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-17 09:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, but try to tell that to the young people of today, and will they believe you? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old October 18th 17, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-10-17 09:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Geepers, Dad, did you really ride on corn-cobs? Didn't the corn get all over your chain, and golly, didn't they have steel back then? Huh? Huh? Huh? Well, Jimmy . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ASBsQfXnw

You want wind? This is where I ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaHz6ns1aI&t=18s Go to 1:06 That's the problem with light bikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H71dc1mCmv0

The Columbia River Gorge is a giant vent, and if you pick the wrong day to ride, it's miserable . . . until you turn around. Then it's f****** incredible! It's like riding an eBike all the way back to Portland (east wind in the winter) -- except for the climb from the falls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJzfJ4SVREM Sprint starts at 4:25. We had big wild fires out there, and I have to go out and see how badly it got burned up.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 18th 17, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

[...]

Foot fungus is very rare in places where people don't wear shoes :-)

But those canny Thais don't wash their feet in the common tub. what
they do is dip some clean water out of the tub and slosh it over their
feet to get them clean.

P.S. We did the same thing working in the Jungle where one's boots
tended to be covered with mud.

Switching shoes is not primitive but way more practical and faster. It
takes about two seconds. Can you clean and dry your boots this fast?

[...]

--
Cheers,

John B.

Can air pollution negate the health benefits of cycling and walking? colwyn[_2_] UK 2 June 27th 16 06:25 PM
Cycling - health benefits Bod[_5_] UK 11 May 29th 16 05:06 PM
More evidence of the health benefits of cycling Señor Chris UK 1 February 26th 09 10:37 PM
Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling? Fazel Unicycling 42 January 11th 09 05:28 AM
Health benefits of riding. Bill Baka General 23 October 3rd 04 04:05 AM